The Student Room Group

Do you get on with your siblings?

Title says it all really...

I have two sisters and a brother. There is a massive age gap in between my two older siblings and me (14 years) so I was never close to them growing up because by the time I could communicate properly they were off at uni/working etc.We get on when we talk now but that is pretty rare, usually just a message around each others birthdays. My little sister and I have a two year age gap and I have never got on with her and probably never will, the rare occasions I see her during holidays I can't even bare to be in the same room as her. I actually used to think this was normal but now everyone I know seems so close to their siblings I wish i could have had that with mine!

Scroll to see replies

Close and get along with most of the time.
Never see or speak to them apart from Christmas Day. I couldn't tell you a single thing about their lives.
Reply 3
I'm one of 6 kids however as everyone has moved away we rarely all get together.

Individually I get on with all of my siblings, but can happily go for months without taking to them. We're not a particularly 'close' family. Even my parents live abroad now.
We go through periods of really getting along... and then for months not speaking a single word to each other.

Pretty used to it now
Reply 5
My brother is my best mate!
do each others coursework if one of us are struggling, finish each others homework when in desperate need and we both always have each others backs.
All this and yet we are completely the opposite in character! lol
I'm 99% sure my brother loves runescape more than he loves me :cry2:
We have our phases of closeness and our phases of wanting to murder each other, we're both short tempered so when we fight it's like a war has broken out, but on the whole we get on fine though :smile:
Not anymore. We used to be incredibly close but over the years my brother has started resenting my sisters while my sisters started resenting me. I'm just floating around trying to make everyone happy while still resenting them all. Such is the life of the black sheep/youngest child. :yy:
Yeah. We used to fight like cat and dog but since I left for uni and met some incredibly trying people (although on the whole they're lovely), I certainly appreciate my brother and sister a lot more. Me and my brother bonded over TV programmes and arguing over which actresses are better looking. And I kind of babied my sister when she was growing up because there's a 6 year age gap. We talk on facebook a lot, but I talk to my brother more when I'm actually at home. It would take something massive to stop me talking to either of them, but it's not like we do everything together and tell each other everything, my sister's too young for that for starters and my brother would get embarrassed.
Reply 9
Yes, I'm very close to my little 14 year old brother. Even if he goes for a sleepover with his friend overnight then I miss him alot. I don't know how I'm going to cope with uni lol
Reply 10
Original post by MidnightDream
I'm 99% sure my brother loves runescape more than he loves me :cry2:
We have our phases of closeness and our phases of wanting to murder each other, we're both short tempered so when we fight it's like a war has broken out, but on the whole we get on fine though :smile:

Wow runescape, I remember that from when I was younger
!
Lets just hope that 1% turns out to be right, if your going to love a game more at least choose a decent game lol.

You should try fighting in the wilderness on runescape instead, its much less dangerous. lol

:biggrin:
My sister and I are really close. She's three years younger than me. Although I wouldn't tell her quite everything, I tell her almost everything and I would say she is one of my closest friends as well as my sister. We didn't choose to be sisters, but we chose to be friends.
aww I wish I had siblings reading all this!

Actually, nah I don't, I'm cool as an only child. I do have a step-brother who is 10 years older than me, but I don't know him very well. I was 18 and he was 28 when my dad married his mum.
He came round to fix my pipes a few months ago (he's a plumber) but I probably know my window cleaner better than I know my step-brother to be honest lol.

I have 4 kids, aged 8, 6, 4, and 9 months old. I really hope they'll all be close when they grow up.
Reply 13
Older sister I'm fine with, doesn't live that far away from me and she's cooks me food when I pop over occasionally

Older brother is usually hit and miss, can get on fine one minute and another I want to keel him

Step-brother doesn't live with me so don't see him much, he's not too bad, get along fine

Half sister who is only 7 but I can tell will grow up into some annoying moody bitch, she acts like a teenager already
I'm hugely close to my older brother, I feel I can talk to him about anything and love him to bits. Don't know what I'd be like without him, we have so much in common and just get along so well!
Original post by tillytots
Title says it all really...

I have two sisters and a brother. There is a massive age gap in between my two older siblings and me (14 years) so I was never close to them growing up because by the time I could communicate properly they were off at uni/working etc.We get on when we talk now but that is pretty rare, usually just a message around each others birthdays. My little sister and I have a two year age gap and I have never got on with her and probably never will, the rare occasions I see her during holidays I can't even bare to be in the same room as her. I actually used to think this was normal but now everyone I know seems so close to their siblings I wish i could have had that with mine!

Well... you need to go on more family holidays!!!!
I have 2 brothers, pretty close to my twin that I couldn't imagine a world without him.
Yeah, my brothers like my best friend. We get along really well, and never seem to argue.
Only child checking in. At least when my parents die I'll get to share the emotional burden and loss with my massive inheritance :sad:
Reply 19
No. They are a beep hoop beeeeep.

Quick Reply

Latest