The Student Room Group

Poland has benefitted massively from EU whilst UK is on its knees

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by billydisco
But it is a fair picture- 95% of the immigrants who come here earn sod-all yet consume a lot. Most immigrants are not going to earn much more beyond £18k. The tax they would pay is pretty much hardly anything- they cost the DoE and NHS billions......

We-should-not-admit-people-who-are-no-more-skillful-than-people-we-already-have-unemployed

Then how do you plan to make the low-skilled British citizens here who don't want to work, get jobs, e.g. office cleaning, security officer, coffee shop attendent ,.....etc ? I have more respect for those who want to work than those who are able but choose benefits instead. The UK benefits system is far too prone to abuse and perpetuates an underclass of socially irresponsible people without a work ethic. As for your NHS it is an out-of-date Golden Calf irrationally adored by the masses as an ideological necessity and right. The NHS is already brought to its knees financially - (thank you Labour) - and now cannot sustain a proper level of care to its customers. NHS Doctors are forced to guard their tongues and be economic with the truth to their patients less they get sued because they know certain NHS standard medical responses in place to the ailments of patients are often inadequate due to lack of money. Large scale EU immigration is squeezing the system but the problem is not simply down to the large number of Poles working here. It is more complex. I'm sure you know that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Marco1
Then how do you plan to make the low-skilled British citizens here who don't want to work, get jobs, e.g. office cleaning, security officer, coffee shop attendent ,.....etc ? I have more respect for those who want to work than those who are able but choose benefits instead. The UK benefits system is far too prone to abuse and perpetuates an underclass of socially irresponsible people without a work ethic. As for your NHS it is an out-of-date Golden Calf irrationally adored by the masses as an ideological necessity and right. The NHS is already brought to its knees financially - (thank you Labour) - and now cannot sustain a proper level of care to its customers. NHS Doctors are forced to guard their tongues and be economic with the truth to their patients less they get sued because they know certain NHS standard medical responses in place to the ailments of patients are often inadequate due to lack of money. Large scale EU immigration is squeezing the system but the problem is not simply down to the large number of Poles working here. It is more complex. I'm sure you know that.

1) By cutting benefits. Its all stick and carrot- they need some more "stick".
2) Im not saying THE problem with the NHS is immigration- i'm saying its a problem we could easily solve and yet we keep on pandering to invite millions more to use it- millions who are not paying much to use it. Its insane. The same thing with education- in London they are having to teach kids in plastic pre-fabricated huts because schools are overflowing.......

Why should the UK taxpayer have to pay more and more in tax because of immigrants arriving here?
Reply 42
1) By cutting benefits. Its all stick and carrot- they need some more "stick".
2) Im not saying THE problem with the NHS is immigration- i'm saying its a problem we could easily solve and yet we keep on pandering to invite millions more to use it- millions who are not paying much to use it. Its insane. The same thing with education- in London they are having to teach kids in plastic pre-fabricated huts because schools are overflowing.......

Why should the UK taxpayer have to pay more and more in tax because of immigrants arriving here?

I agree there is no doubt that the huge level of mass immigration over the last several years has had a hugely negative impact on the quality of life in the UK. It is a real problem. The previous government opened the floodgates to get all those potential Labour voters. It's what they do because it suits them. The current government fears making bold steps to confront the problem because it would cause outrageous, yet entirely false, accusations of racism and minority prejudice - a sure vote killer. The liberal lot perpetuate a bog-standard repertoire of shallow arguments eg. supply and demand, we need immigration to sustain the economy,... bla bla bla. The government's only response is to build more and plan for a vastly increased UK population in the future. Although not admitted, the government has surrendered any hope for a better future on our compact green isles, of which the green bits are slowly and surely turning into asphalt and concrete. Of course there are sustainability initiatives and whole linguistic vernacular of buzzwords and phrases, much loved by politician and councillor. Truthfully though, they attempt to address the symptoms of the problem but not the problem itself. It is all a sorry scratch on the surface. Money is made God and economic consumerism is king, to which the environment is made subordinate. The world we live in offers no hope for the children of the next generation. Politicians of integrity and courage are an extinct breed. Blaming the Poles for the ills of the UK is unjust and I'm sure you would agree? It is but a part of a much bigger picture.
(edited 9 years ago)
With this whole situation between Ukraine and Russia and now with Scotland wanting independence while the UK wants to part from the EU, I am seeing a weird parallel with the situation before WWII....
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
With this whole situation between Ukraine and Russia and now with Scotland wanting independence while the UK wants to part from the EU, I am seeing a weird parallel with the situation before WWII....

it will be if the free marketers get their way with austerity policies when the economy goes bang again
Original post by PricklyPorcupine

I agree in some respects. The thing that concerns me most though is the apathy and naivety in matters of foreign affairs. We had people who actually thought that Assad would come to peace, we have people even now acting as apologists for Putin.

Not since the 30's have we seen such anti-war sentiment and that's worrying because the world is not a safe place where countries get along with each other, it's a world where bullies like Russia annex territory and tyrants like Assad commit genocide.

The world may not like the west acting as a police force but it sure as hell needs it to do so.
Original post by Rakas21
I agree in some respects. The thing that concerns me most though is the apathy and naivety in matters of foreign affairs. We had people who actually thought that Assad would come to peace, we have people even now acting as apologists for Putin.

Not since the 30's have we seen such anti-war sentiment and that's worrying because the world is not a safe place where countries get along with each other, it's a world where bullies like Russia annex territory and tyrants like Assad commit genocide.

The world may not like the west acting as a police force but it sure as hell needs it to do so.

Hmm yes, overuse of appeasement because they want to avoid a war so badly. At least they have made some sanctions with Russia's situation but more needs to be done
Reply 47
Guess why so many Polish people come to the UK. They aren't on holiday but the standard of living in Poland is so crap that migrating somewhere else is the most sensible option!

I'm saying this as a student at an English uni from Poland who is never going to go back to that country, because life in the UK is better by miles. And I'm not on any benefits by the way, so don't worry about your money OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlexL4
Guess why so many Polish people come to the UK. They aren't on holiday but the standard of living in Poland is so crap that migrating somewhere else is the most sensible option!

I'm saying this as a student at an English uni from Poland who is never going to go back to that country, because life in the UK is better by miles. And I'm not on any benefits by the way, so don't worry about your money OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not just about benefits:

-School places need to be created more so because of immigration
-Hospital places need to be created more so because of immigration
-Transport in London will need to be increased more so because of immigration
-Power grid/supplies will need to be increase more so because of immigration
-Water supply will need to be increased more so because of immigration
-Rents will increase
-Wages will suppress

and for what advantage? The above are some pretty expensive disadvantages!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 49

-Rents will increase
-Wages will suppress

don't forget that these awful immigrants spend their money in British shops and it helps the economy grow. Britain gets money for Polish people living here, not Poland. Polish women in Britain have more children than those in Poland - children who are born here, they will be educated here and they will stay here.

Remember that apart from immigrants coming to the UK, many British people move out abroad every year. It's not just a one-way flow.
Original post by AlexL4
don't forget that these awful immigrants spend their money in British shops and it helps the economy grow. Britain gets money for Polish people living here, not Poland. Polish women in Britain have more children than those in Poland - children who are born here, they will be educated here and they will stay here.

Remember that apart from immigrants coming to the UK, many British people move out abroad every year. It's not just a one-way flow.

Most poles are on minimum wage and take out far more than they put in. You are talking labour propaganda
Original post by AlexL4

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fact that Poland is a crap country is you problem. We are sick of being Europes charity for impoverished Eastern Europeans. You are not our problem
Reply 52
Original post by Green Marble
Most poles are on minimum wage and take out far more than they put in. You are talking labour propaganda

and you are talking Daily Mail propaganda.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25880373

''When we do that, we see that between 1995-2011, on average each EEA immigrant put about £6,000 more into the public purse than they took out.

''Non-EEA immigrants each took out about £21,000 more than they put in during that period.
UK Border sign.

''And this group is the biggest - non-EEA immigrants make up two thirds of the UK immigrant population. So both groups of immigrants - EEA and non-EEA - considered together, take out around £14,000 more than they put in, amounting to a deficit of around £95bn for the public purse between 1995-2011''

so please, don't tell me that immigration from within the EU is the biggest problem.

The fact that Poland is a crap country is you problem. We are sick of being Europes charity for impoverished Eastern Europeans. You are not our problem

charity? as if I was living here for nothing?! you're being ridiculous. I haven't seen money on the streets so I could go to Tesco and buy stuff I need. Actually, I've had to earn them here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AlexL4
and you are talking Daily Mail propaganda.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25880373

''When we do that, we see that between 1995-2011, on average each EEA immigrant put about £6,000 more into the public purse than they took out.

''Non-EEA immigrants each took out about £21,000 more than they put in during that period.
UK Border sign.

''And this group is the biggest - non-EEA immigrants make up two thirds of the UK immigrant population. So both groups of immigrants - EEA and non-EEA - considered together, take out around £14,000 more than they put in, amounting to a deficit of around £95bn for the public purse between 1995-2011''

so please, don't tell me that immigration from within the EU is the biggest problem.

charity? as if I was living here for nothing?! you're being ridiculous. I haven't seen money on the streets so I could go to Tesco and buy stuff I need. Actually, I've had to earn them here.

I do not trust the bbc as an accurate independent source
Reply 54
I do not trust the bbc as an accurate independent source

That's the difference in our political views and that's why we have contrasting opinions about immigration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlexL4
That's the difference in our political views and that's why we have contrasting opinions about immigration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously, you are an immigrant
Reply 56
Obviously, you are an immigrant

It's not something I'm ashamed of.

And remember that many people who aren't don't think that immigration is a particularly bad thing. they just vote differently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

-Rents will increase
-Wages will suppress

Immigrants pay tax to build these schools.
See above.
See above.
See above.
See above.
See above.
Wages suppressing? Is someone telling porkies?
i agree poland has done very well out of it, so has the uk though, the uk could do well leaving but it depends on being able to maintain the free trade area which it should be able to do as it is also in europes interests.
Original post by lucas13
i agree poland has done very well out of it, so has the uk though, the uk could do well leaving but it depends on being able to maintain the free trade area which it should be able to do as it is also in europes interests.

60 non eu nations have a free trade agreement with the eu. Britain sustaining a free trade being outside the eu is a non argument

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending