The Student Room Group

Gap Year Information Needed

Hey,

Basically I've had a kind of change of heart regarding the uni course I want to do. i currently have 4 offers for Physics, but am thinking that I might prefer doing Economics. I'm aiming for between 2 and 4 A* at A2 in Maths, Phyiscs, Economics and Chemistry, with hopefully an A in AS further maths.

I'm thinking of taking a gap year and replying later this year, and I'd like any info on this at all please. For example, do I simply reject all my offers and reapply? What happens with references as I won't be at school? Will Uni's be majorly put off by this change of heart? Just any information that could be useful would be great.

Thanks very much,

Nick.
Reply 1
In terms of how to go about gaining a gap as in "should I decline all my offers) my advice for you is to get in touch with UCAS through e-mail or phone and they will advice you further.

I'm doing a very similar thing - I'm changing my course (I wanted to do Adult Nursing and now I'm changing it to Occupational Therapy) but the difference is I didn't get any offers on my original course (thankfully because post application I started changing my mind) in terms of your reference in my college I've been told I can come back just to submit my application with them because it will make life a lot easier, talk to your institution and see what they advice.

Also, have you thought of trying to apply for economics through clearing or extra.. then you won't necessarily have to go through the stress of reapplying next year and you might be able to just straight into uni? Unless you really want a gap year of course.Maybe you should go see your personal tutor (of you have one) or a careers adviser (there should be one in your college or school) to help you out, they should have some idea of how you should go about it

As for the change of heart question, I'm not sure and I would very much like to find out myself because I'm in the same position but I have heard a lot of people say they changed their minds at the last minute etc. etc. so they can't be too out off surely?

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending