The Student Room Group

How do you feel about transgender rights?

Do you feel that it's practical and ethical for someone to ask for the same social and legal treatment as the opposite gender simply by identifying as such? NOTE: transgender is not the same as transexual.

Although I am for the right to personal expression and identity, I think that the ability to change something like this (on a legal level), especially without surgical changes, can be problematic. Say, for example, a transgender woman (male) wanted the right to use a female changing room - do we recognise the transgender woman's plea, or do recognise the fact that other women may be uncomfortable with this and that sex/gender segregation exists for a reason? Would it not also be hypocritical if we were to legally recognise a gender transition, but then not recognise someone whom identifies as a different race, ethnicity or even nationality?

I'm somewhat undecided, particularly as this can -- though not always, importantly -- be a legitimate psychological phenomenon.

Scroll to see replies

first of all you'll have to define the word "rights" - I think they should be given the same rights as anyone else by the government, but they shouldn't be allowed to sue someone for not hiring them due to it or something like that (although I feel that way about any group)
Your point is a bit flawed with regards to nationality as people can legally change this, depending on what country they identify as a citizen of, after living there for some time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dandaman1
Say, for example, a transgender woman (male) wanted the right to use a female changing room - do we recognise the transgender woman's plea,

I think a lot of men are going to start mysteriously becoming "transgender" every time they need to use a changing room...

I would put it like this: If you're male, you have the right to act like a woman if you want, but you don't have the right to force other people to treat you like one. If the owner of the swimming baths doesn't want to allow you into the female changing rooms because it deters his other female customers, he shouldn't have to. But by all means wear a bikini in the pool if you like.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
first of all you'll have to define the word "rights" - I think they should be given the same rights as anyone else by the government, but they shouldn't be allowed to sue someone for not hiring them due to it or something like that (although I feel that way about any group)

So you think people should be allowed to base hiring on things like sex, race, class, sexual orientation, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
So you think people should be allowed to base hiring on things like sex, race, class, sexual orientation, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally see private businesses like I see private houses - you have the right to refuse entry to whoever you want because you paid for it and it's yours and your responsibility as to what goes on within it (obviously provided nobody's harmed, stolen from, committed fraud against, bla bla bla). I'm obviously not being arbitrary in that sense of tolerance and I hope you see my perspective (I'm really not racist, sexist etc I just see the owner as the person who should decide their matters opposed to the government aside from harm, theft etc) because by refusing entry they're not harming, stealing from them etc, just being mean, which isn't against the law for free speech and neither should it be in this sense unless there is a natural/obvious duty that arises (e.g. so if you've got a contract saying someone can enter, work, use, etc) but obviously I don't see my views as absolute and I can see why people might not agree with me in our culture where the state is seen to have more abilities in terms of these things
I personally see private businesses like I see private houses - you have the right to refuse entry to whoever you want because you paid for it and it's yours and your responsibility as to what goes on within it (obviously provided nobody's harmed, stolen from, committed fraud against, bla bla bla). I'm obviously not being arbitrary in that sense of tolerance and I hope you see my perspective (I'm really not racist, sexist etc I just see the owner as the person who should decide their matters opposed to the government aside from harm, theft etc) because by refusing entry they're not harming, stealing from them etc, just being mean, which isn't against the law for free speech and neither should it be in this sense unless there is a natural/obvious duty that arises (e.g. so if you've got a contract saying someone can enter, work, use, etc) but obviously I don't see my views as absolute and I can see why people might not agree with me in our culture where the state is seen to have more abilities in terms of these things

So yes. I also assume then they can fire a person for having such traits yes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So yes. I also assume then they can fire a person for having such traits yes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if they were that cruel, sure, it's their prerogative, but obviously I don't endorse* that kind of behaviour, I merely tolerate it based on the fact that they own the property and they can do what they want with it provided they don't harm, steal etc - I know, I sound like I'm being mean by allowing people the freedom to do it, but at the end of the day I think peaceful solutions to these sorts of non-violent acts should be the way forward and not through the government, e.g. peaceful protests, boycots, campaigns, awareness raising, etc to persuade the person not to do things like it
(edited 9 years ago)
if they were that cruel, sure, it's their prerogative, but obviously I don't endorse* that kind of behaviour, I merely tolerate it based on the fact that they own the property and they can do what they want with it provided they don't harm, steal etc - I know, I sound like I'm being mean by allowing people the freedom to do it, but at the end of the day I think peaceful solutions to these sorts of non-violent acts should be the way forward and not through the government, e.g. peaceful protests, boycots, campaigns, awareness raising, etc to persuade the person not to do things like it

you seem to be very anti-government.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you seem to be very anti-government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

to be honest I really am :lol: I'm only in favour of government (if anything at all) to protect people from harm, theft, fraud, threats, etc from others, opposed to shielding them from people's "emotional harm"~ as there is no infringing upon a person's rights/peaceful existence simply by being unfair/cruel. I might be idealistic but I call it optimistic
(edited 9 years ago)
They're still people...

Anyway people from different genders shouldn't have diff rights. Everyone should have the same
Original post by Dandaman1
Do you feel that it's practical and ethical for someone to ask for the same social and legal treatment as the opposite gender simply by identifying as such? NOTE: transgender is not the same as transexual.

Although I am for the right to personal expression and identity, I think that the ability to change something like this (on a legal level), especially without surgical changes, can be problematic. Say, for example, a transgender woman (male) wanted the right to use a female changing room - do we recognise the transgender woman's plea, or do recognise the fact that other women may be uncomfortable with this and that sex/gender segregation exists for a reason? Would it not also be hypocritical if we were to legally recognise a gender transition, but then not recognise someone whom identifies as a different race, ethnicity or even nationality?

I'm somewhat undecided, particularly as this can -- though not always, importantly -- be a legitimate psychological phenomenon.

Why would a biological woman be uncomfortable? If they're uncomfortable with a transgender woman then how do they feel about butch women or tomboys? Are they going to report those kind of women?
Original post by AWJChadders
Your point is a bit flawed with regards to nationality as people can legally change this, depending on what country they identify as a citizen of, after living there for some time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but to change nationality requires certain conditions to be fulfilled in order to obtain the full legal rights. For example, I can't one day decide I want to identify as a U.S. citizen and then become entitled to a U.S. passport as a result. Similarly, would it be practical or reasonable for a man to decide to identify as a woman and then ask for the same legal recognition, where they may file suit if they are denied access to female changing rooms or other women-only venues and programs?

My point is, if you technically aren't something, it is not always practical or ethical to then choose to identify as that something and ask for the same rights, honours and treatment it would entail. Also, how could we differentiate between those who are genuine in their intentions and identity and those who aren't?
Original post by mariocasas
Why would a biological woman be uncomfortable? If they're uncomfortable with a transgender woman then how do they feel about butch women or tomboys? Are they going to report those kind of women?

All the other biological women using those bathrooms don't know who you are "on the inside".

If you have a male body, then all they see is a man in the wrong bathroom. Just because you might feel like a woman on the inside doesn't give them any reason to feel more comfortable with you being there.
Whereas if you have a female body, no matter how much of a tomboy you might be, they've no reason not to expect you to be there. All they see is another woman using the ladies' room.
Original post by tazarooni89
All the other biological women using those bathrooms don't know who you are "on the inside".

If you have a male body, then all they see is a man in the wrong bathroom. Just because you might feel like a woman on the inside doesn't give them any reason to feel more comfortable with you being there.
Whereas if you have a female body, no matter how much of a tomboy you might be, they've no reason not to expect you to be there. All they see is another woman using the ladies' room.

Having a male body is irrelevant, women cannot see what's underneath their clothes, which would be women's clothes. They're not walking around with beards. Just because a woman has male sex organs does not mean they look manly, plenty of transwomen do not look masculine at all, with or without surgery.

Should a woman be uncomfortable with a person with intersex organs?
Having a male body is irrelevant, women cannot see what's underneath their clothes, which would be women's clothes. They're not walking around with beards. Just because a woman has male sex organs does not mean they look manly, plenty of transwomen do not look masculine at all, with or without surgery.

Since the OP was discussing people without any surgery in this particular example, I was speaking on the assumption that, if you have a male body, people don't need to be looking at your genitalia to know that. I go out fully clothed, and people can still tell I'm a man, and I'm guessing this will be the case for the vast majority of males, regardless of their internal thoughts and feelings.

Of course you're right, if someone with a male body happens to look convincingly like a woman, then there's no reason why any woman would be uncomfortable to see them in the ladies' room, they'll just think it's another woman like any other.

Should a woman be uncomfortable with a person with intersex organs?

Well firstly, it's not really a case of what "should" they be uncomfortable with, but a case of what they "are" uncomfortable with.

But as above - they're probably not going to know what kind of organs this person has. All they know about the person is what they look like. It'll depend on to what extent it looks as though a perverted man has decided to take a peek in the women's bathroom.
Since the OP was discussing people without any surgery in this particular example, I was speaking on the assumption that, if you have a male body, people don't need to be looking at your genitalia to know that. I go out fully clothed, and people can still tell I'm a man, and I'm guessing this will be the case for the vast majority of males, regardless of their internal thoughts and feelings.

Yeah because you're dressing like a man so of course you will appear like one.

We're talking about transwomen who wear women's clothing, make-up, train their voice etc. Transwomen who haven't got surgery does not equal looking like a man. There are plenty of transwomen who look biologically female, and in cases even more like a woman.

A man going into a woman's toilets to harass women is not the fault of transgender individuals. They're just creeps.
Yeah because you're dressing like a man so of course you will appear like one.

We're talking about transwomen who wear women's clothing, make-up, train their voice etc. Transwomen who haven't got surgery does not equal looking like a man. There are plenty of transwomen who look biologically female, and in cases even more like a woman.

In which case I agree, if they are able to make everyone who sees them believe that they are biologically female, nobody is likely to feel uncomfortable seeing them in a female bathroom.

The people who they are likely to feel uncomfortable with are people who look like men (which it is still possible to do, even if one is wearing women's clothes, make-up and attempting to put on a high voice.)
In which case I agree, if they are able to make everyone who sees them believe that they are biologically female, nobody is likely to feel uncomfortable seeing them in a female bathroom.

The people who they are likely to feel uncomfortable with are people who look like men (which it is still possible to do, even if one is wearing women's clothes, make-up and attempting to put on a high voice.)

Yes I know some transwomen look masculine, but that's not their fault.
Even biological women look masculine, google pictures of Chloe Sevigny without makeup and she looks pretty manly lol, but then if you look at someone like Courtney Act in makeup who is a biological man, she looks very feminine and you wouldn't notice she was really a man unless you went inches right up to his face.

Would you rather a transwomen go into the men's toilets and get verbally or physically abused or make a biological women uncomfortable for 5 seconds while she washes her hands?

Don't forget that gender and sex are two different things.
Yes I know some transwomen look masculine, but that's not their fault.
Even biological women look masculine, google pictures of Chloe Sevigny without makeup and she looks pretty manly lol, but then if you look at someone like Courtney Act in makeup who is a biological man, she looks very feminine and you wouldn't notice she was really a man unless you went inches right up to his face.

I'm sure some women "look masculine", and vice versa. I don't think anyone's going to be made uncomfortable by that. I think all those women are only going to be uncomfortable when, from all they can see in front of them, it appears to them that a man has walked into their bathroom (perhaps dressed like a woman).

If your appearance is such that people believe you are female (perhaps a manly looking one), then I don't think anyone's going to complain about you using the female bathrooms, because as far as they're concerned, that's the one they'd expect you to use.

Would you rather a transwomen go into the men's toilets and get verbally or physically abused or make a biological women uncomfortable for 5 seconds while she washes her hands?

Why is there no option of going into the men's bathrooms, without getting verbally and physically abused? Why do you assume that they won't get verbally and physically abused in the female bathroom?

I'm not really sure what the purpose of this question is. I don't want people to be verbally or physically abused, nor to be made to feel uncomfortable, and I don't see why it needs to be a choice between one or the other.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending