The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE History A2 The United States 1917-54: Boom Bust & Recovery: Uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
The boom question was beautiful,
Bit scared about Section B though - I did the Great Depression one about how much Republic government were to blame. I got quite a lot of points in but I think my stress was reflected in the muddled structure of my answer!

Hope it went okay though !
Reply 141
Original post by jenkinsc95
Hoover came to power in 1929 didn't he?

I didn't literally mean the Hoover question... our school as a short term phrase just call it the Hoover and Roosevelt (New Deal) controversy...

still ****.
Reply 142
Original post by vhezza
The boom question was beautiful,
Bit scared about Section B though - I did the Great Depression one about how much Republic government were to blame. I got quite a lot of points in but I think my stress was reflected in the muddled structure of my answer!

Hope it went okay though !

Same! I didn't really like how the information mostly overlapped also the middle source's stress on international context didn't match they greatly with the other sources!
Did anyone else answer the communism one? If so what did you guys say?
I wasnt sure about the structure of the essay since the quesition didnt really give us any agree or disagree point :P
but i mentioned Foreign affairs like china falling to communism, north invading south korea and east berlin falling to communism and then i spy scandals like alger hiss and ****, then I mentioned McCarthyism and finally the purging of the state department. I found my self finding it difficult to link to the quesition :/
what were some of the conclusions?
Original post by jenkinsc95
Did anyone else do the Red Scare question? Something along the lines of "Why did anti-communism influence US society so much between 1947 - 54?".

My argument was how it was exploited by McCarthy and Truman as self-seeking individuals, and my other side was how it affected society because it was a geniune threat, e.g. Klaus Fuke stealing the bomb knowledge and the spread of communism throughout Asia.

Did anyone else do this question? If so do'you think my argument was correct and how did you structure it?

Well done everyone and good luck in your results! A-Level history is over:cool:

AHH I did something similar but I blamed the purging of the state department, like with the introduction of the Royalty Review Board and how they actually fired people and closed down organisations.
Did you find it quite difficult to link to the quesition?
Reply 145
Original post by bound2
Same! I didn't really like how the information mostly overlapped also the middle source's stress on international context didn't match they greatly with the other sources!

Yeah it was all kinda indirect somehow, even though it wasn't... Haha
What kind of points did you make?

Yeah source 2 was weird, I ended up linking the part about investors being attracted by the US stock market to buying on-the-margin and the idea of superficial prosperity which brought about the Depression?! But then realised that wasn't to do with the international economy but I guess it shows one of its consequences?

Who knows, hopefully we did okay! :biggrin:
what did people write for the new deal question
Boom question was amazing! Saw it in the exam and my heart started racing. I'm an expert on that topic. Did 9 sides~ Section B was okay. The New Deal sources were a bit dodgey but other than that I think I did good :3
Hello everyone! I liked the paper! I did the question about the US Economic Boom which was my JAM! I made sure i wrote a point and analysed everything!
I liked the New Deal source question too, disagreeing with all the sources to show how the New Deal was strong but was a façade also!

Best wishes for all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What points did people put for the Economic Boom essay?

also my source essay on the Depression was all over the place, lool I felt like the sources didnt really link too well!
Original post by Water_fall
What points did people put for the Economic Boom essay?

also my source essay on the Depression was all over the place, lool I felt like the sources didnt really link too well!

For the boom, I put WW1 allowed the one way trade allowing manufacturing to grow and this predecessed economic change!
Motor manufacturing Industry
Stimulants ensured technology and manufacturing was used
CANNOT FORGET Republican Economic Policies!

I wrote 6 sides :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophtommo
For the boom, I put WW1 allowed the one way trade allowing manufacturing to grow and this predecessed economic change!
Motor manufacturing Industry
Stimulants ensured technology and manufacturing was used
CANNOT FORGET Republican Economic Policies!

I wrote 6 sides :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mentioned WW1, republican policies, and spirit of optimism but for the technology side I talked about how technology e.g consumer goods such as vacuum cleaners came about and I mentioned bakelite etc but I did the changes in working techniques e.g mass production on the other side of the argument and not on the same side as technology. is that really wrong? loool
Original post by Water_fall
I mentioned WW1, republican policies, and spirit of optimism but for the technology side I talked about how technology e.g consumer goods such as vacuum cleaners came about and I mentioned bakelite etc but I did the changes in working techniques e.g mass production on the other side of the argument and not on the same side as technology. is that really wrong? loool

In theory mass production is related to new technologies, however as long as you mentioned it you will be fine.
Just realised I didn't include WW1 as a factor :c
The factors I included were:

New technologies (including mass production,scientific management, motor industry)
Role of the government
Attitudes towards consumption (advertisements ect)

Even though it's essentially only 3 factors, I did these in extensive detail with tons of facts and analysis, writing 9 sides in total. Will I get marked down since I didn't include information on the WW1 loans and trading? :/
Original post by PoloMilione
Just realised I didn't include WW1 as a factor :c
The factors I included were:

New technologies (including mass production,scientific management, motor industry)
Role of the government
Attitudes towards consumption (advertisements ect)

Even though it's essentially only 3 factors, I did these in extensive detail with tons of facts and analysis, writing 9 sides in total. Will I get marked down since I didn't include information on the WW1 loans and trading? :/

Im in the same boat as you, doubt we'll loose too much but depends on how the rest of the essay went tbh.
I am really worried because for the boom question I put down every single other point but forgot about republican policies, which I can't believe I stupidly did even though I knew it was a major point. I think the nerves and panic of running out of time just got to me because I was unwell. I went into detail about everything else but am just trying to reassure myself that it isn't possible to include every single point in your essay. Do you think I will be marked down a lot for this?
Original post by Aishh_13
I am really worried because for the boom question I put down every single other point but forgot about republican policies, which I can't believe I stupidly did even though I knew it was a major point. I think the nerves and panic of running out of time just got to me because I was unwell. I went into detail about everything else but am just trying to reassure myself that it isn't possible to include every single point in your essay. Do you think I will be marked down a lot for this?

Don't worry about it! I'm sure you won't be marked down. They can't expect you to write everything, so as long as you included other relevant factors and analysed them they'll mark positively. I didn't include everything, you can't. My teacher gave me full marks for an essay with only 3 factors in x
Thank you so much for the reassurance, it really helps :smile: x
No problem, if you put detail in it sounds like you did fab :smile: x
Did anyone else get a grade they werent expecting? I generally felt this exam went really well but got 72 ums which is just a C! I was not expecting that! So gutted right now. I dont know if its worth getting a remark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending