The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Are QMUL lenient on actual grades?

I have received an offer for ABB. But I feel I might get a C instead, are QMUL okay with a couple of grades dropping? Do you know anyone who has had their grades dropped and still got a place?

I might firm Birmingham - AAA.
Insure QMUL - ABB.
Original post by Utterly-confused
I have received an offer for ABB. But I feel I might get a C instead, are QMUL okay with a couple of grades dropping? Do you know anyone who has had their grades dropped and still got a place?

I might firm Birmingham - AAA.
Insure QMUL - ABB.

Depends on the course to be fair, but they are lenient by one grade, 2 grades is a push but can happen
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Iqbal007
Depends on the course to be fair, but they are lenient by one grade, 2 grades is a push but can happen

Really stuck on where to insure, what do you think?

I am stuck between Coventry - BCC, QMUL - ABB (they can be lenient on English and History or?) and Hull ABC. - Which to insure? :'(
(edited 9 years ago)

I am stuck between Coventry - BCC, QMUL - ABB (they can be lenient on English and History or?) and Hull ABC. - Which to insure? :'(

By one grade at most, 2 grades is dependent on how many days its still in clearing.
Original post by Iqbal007
By one grade at most, 2 grades is dependent on how many days its still in clearing.

So, they can't accept me if it's in clearing?

Out of curiosity, why are firming Birmingham if you think you can't get AAA. Isn't that just wasting your firm?(I'm deducing this based on the fact that the rest of your offers are much lower than your Birmingham offer, and that you're worried that you can't meet QM's offer, which is significantly lower than Birmingham)

To answer your question directly, it depends on what you think you're most likely to get. If you think you can only manage a BCC, insure Coventry, if you are confident of ABC, then choose hull, if ABB, choose QM. Scoring lower than your actual grades for an insurance is a risk that you probably shouldn't take, unless you want to go into clearing.
(edited 9 years ago)
So, they can't accept me if it's in clearing?

I mean they can, if its in clearing, and holding an insurance offer they are willing to let you off a grade so ABC...........2 grades differences is far less likely, but if the course is in clearing for more than a few days then they may.
Original post by 1drowssap
Out of curiosity, why are firming Birmingham if you think you can't get AAA. Isn't that just wasting your firm?(I'm deducing this based on the fact that the rest of your offers are much lower than your Birmingham offer, and that you're worried that you can't meet QM's offer, which is significantly lower than Birmingham)

To answer your question directly, it depends on what you think you're most likely to get. If you think you can only manage a BCC, insure Coventry, if you are confident of ABC, then choose hull, if ABB, choose QM. Scoring lower than your actual grades for an insurance is a risk that you probably shouldn't take, unless you want to go into clearing.

I think I can get B'ham offer, but I don't want to go elsewhere, other than there. I just have no idea where to insure, incase worse comes to worse.
I think I can get B'ham offer, but I don't want to go elsewhere, other than there. I just have no idea where to insure, incase worse comes to worse.

I see. So, what do you think is your (realistic) worst case scenario? Is it ABB, ABC or BCC?
Just email the head of admissions for the department you're applying to.

I had similar fears over dropping a grade so I asked would they would do, and they said it would be fine. Luckily I smashed my A-levels so no dramas in the end, woohoo. Maybe the same will happen for you?

Also on my course loads of people were let in through clearing. My younger brother also got into QMUL through clearing. It depends on the course you're going for though. Also QMUL are recently in the Russell Group so I presume they're a little more sought after now, specially as a London uni.

TL;DR - email the head of admissions for the department you're applying to.
Original post by Pessimisterious

I had similar fears over dropping a grade so I asked would they would do, and they said it would be fine. Luckily I smashed my A-levels so no dramas in the end, woohoo. Maybe the same will happen for you?

Also on my course loads of people were let in through clearing. My younger brother also got into QMUL through clearing. It depends on the course you're going for though. Also QMUL are recently in the Russell Group so I presume they're a little more sought after now, specially as a London uni.

What course did you and your brother apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by prettyugly
What course did you and your brother apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He chemistry, I physics.
Original post by Pessimisterious

I wouldn't agree with that, with the combination of the 9k fee, I recall some departments had a drop in applicants and the people willing to pay that 9k fee are well unwilling, I know some who just took a gap year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending