The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy 2015

Hey guys :smile:
I'm applying for Occupational Therapy at the end of this year to hopefully get into university in September 2015. I was wondering whether there was anyone out there who is also applying for Occupational Therapy in the same year and which universities you were thinking of applying to?
Thanks Guys :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LouieSax
Hey guys :smile:
I'm applying for Occupational Therapy at the end of this year to get into university in September 2015. I was wondering whether there was anyone out there who is also applying for Occupation Therapy in the same year and which universities you were thinking of applying to?
Thanks Guy :smile:

Hey,

I'm also looking to apply at the end of this year to start in 2015 :smile: There're so many choices but I think I may have narrowed mine down already to Cardiff, Bristol, Coventry, Oxford Brookes and Norwich. I have a couple of favourites already but am going to wait until the open days and interviews before I get too carried away with my favourites haha. What about you? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by KimVictoria
Hey,

I'm also looking to apply at the end of this year to start in 2015 :smile: There're so many choices but I think I may have narrowed mine down already to Cardiff, Bristol, Coventry, Oxford Brookes and Norwich. I have a couple of favourites already but am going to wait until the open days and interviews before I get too carried away with my favourites haha. What about you? :smile:

Oh, tell me about it, there are just so many good universities to chose from, I've currently got a list of 10 universities but I've roughly narrowed it down (It'll probably change to be fair, plus I need to go to open days before I decide for definite) I'm thinking Cardiff, Brunel, Coventry, Derby and Plymouth however, if I manage to get the grades I may replace one of them with Southampton instead. Just curious have you managed to get work experience yet? :smile:
Oh, tell me about it, there are just so many good universities to chose from, I've currently got a list of 10 universities but I've roughly narrowed it down (It'll probably change to be fair, plus I need to go to open days before I decide for definite) I'm thinking Cardiff, Brunel, Coventry, Derby and Plymouth however, if I manage to get the grades I may replace one of them with Southampton instead. Just curious have you managed to get work experience yet? :smile:

We still have time to change our minds which as a good thing as I can be indecisive at the best of times!

Not yet, but I'm going to an open day for aspiring Occupational Therapists in my local hospital on the 8th of May which will give a more in depth look at what they do and is apparently recognised by universities. But I also want to get shadowing experience so I've contacted the council and had to fill in a work experience form which they'll give to the head of their Occupational Therapists, so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon :smile: What about you?
Reply 4
We still have time to change our minds which as a good thing as I can be indecisive at the best of times!

Not yet, but I'm going to an open day for aspiring Occupational Therapists in my local hospital on the 8th of May which will give a more in depth look at what they do and is apparently recognised by universities. But I also want to get shadowing experience so I've contacted the council and had to fill in a work experience form which they'll give to the head of their Occupational Therapists, so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon :smile: What about you?

OMD :') I think I'm going to that workshop on the 8th of May (unless of course there are two workshops being run at the same time at different locations) I'll see you there :smile: Yeah, I've e-mailed , phoned and sent letters to every hospital in the area, unfortunately with not much luck. However, I have had a few potential work experience placements (but not definate yet, so I'm kinda on edge with it at the moment, waiting for places to get back to me -.-') Haha. Hope to get something soon. :smile: Have you got anything planned in terms of your application for university this summer then? I hoping to improve mine over the summer but everything's a huge waiting game haha :L
OMD :') I think I'm going to that workshop on the 8th of May (unless of course there are two workshops being run at the same time at different locations) I'll see you there :smile: Yeah, I've e-mailed , phoned and sent letters to every hospital in the area, unfortunately with not much luck. However, I have had a few potential work experience placements (but not definate yet, so I'm kinda on edge with it at the moment, waiting for places to get back to me -.-') Haha. Hope to get something soon. :smile: Have you got anything planned in terms of your application for university this summer then? I hoping to improve mine over the summer but everything's a huge waiting game haha :L

The workshop in the Princess of Wales? If so then small world! Haha :P

I know what you mean! It took me ages to find somewhere that was willing to have me shadow them and like you said - now it's just the waiting game. I haven't got anything planned for the summer really; just carrying on with my volunteering and perhaps going to shadow my cousin's friend up in England for a few days as she's an OT in mental health. I just want as much to put on my application as possible! Have you got any volunteering jobs going?
Reply 6
The workshop in the Princess of Wales? If so then small world! Haha :P

I know what you mean! It took me ages to find somewhere that was willing to have me shadow them and like you said - now it's just the waiting game. I haven't got anything planned for the summer really; just carrying on with my volunteering and perhaps going to shadow my cousin's friend up in England for a few days as she's an OT in mental health. I just want as much to put on my application as possible! Have you got any volunteering jobs going?

YES! That's the one, I'll see you there probably then :smile: Oh, how jealous I am of you have you relative who has an OT friend, its all about who you know when it comes to work experience unfortunately :'( Hahah :P Yeah I've got a few things in terms of volunteering actually (most of them aren't definately yet though because I've only applied) I've been volunteering for a year with the Alzheimer's Society and in the summer I'm going to become an Alzheimer's Befriender so I'll be able to go onto the wards and things. I've also had experience in a Visual Impairment unit volunteering in the past and then I've just got various clubs and groups which I've signed up for to make up my time in my gap year haha but these ones aren't definate yet, I've got a Special Needs Group in Cardiff and a Summer Camp in England, just little things like that. My volunteering profile is pretty strong its just my work experience profilt which is lacking at the moment :// Ugh! University applications are difficult things mind. How about you? How's your volunteering profile going? :smile:
YES! That's the one, I'll see you there probably then :smile: Oh, how jealous I am of you have you relative who has an OT friend, its all about who you know when it comes to work experience unfortunately :'( Hahah :P Yeah I've got a few things in terms of volunteering actually (most of them aren't definately yet though because I've only applied) I've been volunteering for a year with the Alzheimer's Society and in the summer I'm going to become an Alzheimer's Befriender so I'll be able to go onto the wards and things. I've also had experience in a Visual Impairment unit volunteering in the past and then I've just got various clubs and groups which I've signed up for to make up my time in my gap year haha but these ones aren't definate yet, I've got a Special Needs Group in Cardiff and a Summer Camp in England, just little things like that. My volunteering profile is pretty strong its just my work experience profilt which is lacking at the moment :// Ugh! University applications are difficult things mind. How about you? How's your volunteering profile going? :smile:

Haha I can't believe that! Yeah, see you there! :P

That's good that you've got volunteering under your belt already, and the fact you're taking a year out to do more is always good :smile:
Yeah, I agree with you there. I'll have been out of school for three years by the time I go to uni but in all this time I've been figuring out what I've wanted to do and now I'm working to get everything I need to get on the course. Since I've been out of school I've been an LSO for an agency and was mainly placed in a special needs school, I've been a community carer and have been a playworker which is what I'm currently still doing so I'm hoping that that will all add up in the long run :smile: in terms of volunteering I'm a hospital befriender in the stroke ward, I volunteer with a place called SCOPE that works with people over 50 and I volunteer with a helpline. Like you said: the main thing now is getting the shadowing experience :/ but we still have time so it's not too much of a problem ... yet :P haha
Reply 8
Haha I can't believe that! Yeah, see you there! :P

That's good that you've got volunteering under your belt already, and the fact you're taking a year out to do more is always good :smile:
Yeah, I agree with you there. I'll have been out of school for three years by the time I go to uni but in all this time I've been figuring out what I've wanted to do and now I'm working to get everything I need to get on the course. Since I've been out of school I've been an LSO for an agency and was mainly placed in a special needs school, I've been a community carer and have been a playworker which is what I'm currently still doing so I'm hoping that that will all add up in the long run :smile: in terms of volunteering I'm a hospital befriender in the stroke ward, I volunteer with a place called SCOPE that works with people over 50 and I volunteer with a helpline. Like you said: the main thing now is getting the shadowing experience :/ but we still have time so it's not too much of a problem ... yet :P haha

Aww yeah fair play to you, you've got a really strong application! (Jealous :P) Especially with the carers job that'll look really good on your application because it shows you have experience in a care sector and have a caring nature. I was hoping to get a carers job during my gap year but I'm waiting to hear back from my volunteering positions because some of them are residential and I will need to book a couple of weeks off because of it, so I'm going to wait until those residentials are over before applying. Any advice on any good places to apply for a carers position? Or any advice at all really for getting a job in that sector? Thanks in advance. :smile: x
Aww yeah fair play to you, you've got a really strong application! (Jealous :P) Especially with the carers job that'll look really good on your application because it shows you have experience in a care sector and have a caring nature. I was hoping to get a carers job during my gap year but I'm waiting to hear back from my volunteering positions because some of them are residential and I will need to book a couple of weeks off because of it, so I'm going to wait until those residentials are over before applying. Any advice on any good places to apply for a carers position? Or any advice at all really for getting a job in that sector? Thanks in advance. :smile: x

I was only in community caring for a couple of months as I was doing two jobs and I'm doing a qualification at the moment so I couldn't carry on with it. The company I was with were Care Direct, they were good to work for and they were still looking for more people the last I heard. You can get an application form by contacting them (have a look for their number online) and they'll send one out. They like you to have some relevant experience (for example I volunteer in a hospital and do odd jobs for the staff) but sometimes they're willing to take on anyone with a caring nature and who is willing to learn - as for the first couple of weeks you'll be shadowing someone. So my advice would be to apply to as many caring places that you can as there will always be one place that will be willing to teach you and give you the experience :smile: I hope that helped a bit
Reply 10
I was only in community caring for a couple of months as I was doing two jobs and I'm doing a qualification at the moment so I couldn't carry on with it. The company I was with were Care Direct, they were good to work for and they were still looking for more people the last I heard. You can get an application form by contacting them (have a look for their number online) and they'll send one out. They like you to have some relevant experience (for example I volunteer in a hospital and do odd jobs for the staff) but sometimes they're willing to take on anyone with a caring nature and who is willing to learn - as for the first couple of weeks you'll be shadowing someone. So my advice would be to apply to as many caring places that you can as there will always be one place that will be willing to teach you and give you the experience :smile: I hope that helped a bit

Helped a bit? That helped a lot! I am totally going to check out Care Direct to help my application (plus I kinda need a job anyways haha) Thanks so much for the help! By the way, if you have any questions about the UCAS application process or if you want some volunteering websites (not that you need it mind) or whatever give me shout. I've been through the application process before and I'll try to answer any questions I can and pass on any information possible :smile: Thanks so much for the help by the way :smile:
Reply 11
Sorry to be a nuisance but you don't by any chance know if Care Direct has a website or an e-mail adress (I've been searching everywhere but with no prevail) Thank You :smile:
Sorry to be a nuisance but you don't by any chance know if Care Direct has a website or an e-mail adress (I've been searching everywhere but with no prevail) Thank You :smile:

Haha, no it's fine :smile: I don't believe they have an email address or a proper website but I have their phone number it's: 01443 672949. Just give them a ring and tell them you're interested in working with them and if they are still looking then they'll send you an application pack in the post :smile:

And thank you for the offer on helping with questions for the uni application, I'll be sure to take you up on it at some point most probably :P
Reply 13
Haha, no it's fine :smile: I don't believe they have an email address or a proper website but I have their phone number it's: 01443 672949. Just give them a ring and tell them you're interested in working with them and if they are still looking then they'll send you an application pack in the post :smile:

And thank you for the offer on helping with questions for the uni application, I'll be sure to take you up on it at some point most probably :P

Aww thank you so much for sending me the number this will be a huge help during my GAP year (I can try to get a job in a care sector, now I would love to do :smile: )
Hi,

I applied to do child nursing this year and didn't get any offers but now im so happy I didn't as now decided I didn't want to do that! I'm either looking at occupational therapy or primary teaching. I'm looking at applying to uwe, plymouth, canterbury, Brunel, boremouth and maybe look at a few more! I'm taking a gap year and I've got work experience shadowing an occupational therapist at my local hospital.
Original post by Glitter_fairy5
Hi,

I applied to do child nursing this year and didn't get any offers but now im so happy I didn't as now decided I didn't want to do that! I'm either looking at occupational therapy or primary teaching. I'm looking at applying to uwe, plymouth, canterbury, Brunel, boremouth and maybe look at a few more! I'm taking a gap year and I've got work experience shadowing an occupational therapist at my local hospital.

Hi,

You're lucky to have got some shadowing experience with an OT, I'm finding it so hard to find somewhere that'll take someone on for work experience at the moment, it's driving me crazy! Have you had any experience in a primary school also so that you can weigh up on which career you prefer the look of?

They're good choices! I'm finding it hard deciding on uni's, when I think I've made a firm decision it changes again :P but at the moment my choices are Cardiff, Oxford Brookes, Coventry, Brunel and UEA.

What are you planning on doing in your gap year? :smile:
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to apply for 2015 entry at Glyndwr University (ft) and Salford University (pt). I'm hoping to get some shadowing experience this year!
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to apply for 2015 entry at Glyndwr University (ft) and Salford University (pt). I'm hoping to get some shadowing experience this year!
Reply 18
Original post by sparksfly
Hey everyone,

Hey!
Have you been to any open days for the universities yet then or got any up coming? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Glitter_fairy5
Hi,

Hey! Just curious, have you got any ideas of what you're going to do in your gap year? I'm in the same boat as you I applied for Adult Nursing, got nowhere (thankfully) and then realised its not the career for me. Its a good thing you've had a proper think about what sort of career you really want to do. Have you tried getting work experience for OT and for Primary school teaching, so you can decide what to you really want to do?

Quick Reply

Latest