The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joyland
Hi

Can I ask you on what basis did Bournemouth University refuse you application even though you exceeded their minimum requirements. Also, I don't want to end up wasting a year waiting so any idea of where I can get volunteer work with some occupational therapists because I really want to increase my chances of getting into of the nearest universities next year.

Thanks for the info.

I'd ask at your local hospital about volunteering - I'm now at the paperwork stage of getting volunteering work with my local NHS trust, and the role seems really relevant to OT (I'll be assisting in a rehabilitation care home for people coming out of hospital). :smile:
Reply 41
As a matter of fact I have already worked in a rehabilitation care home for 15 months and just left the job a week ago. I have asked the OTs working alongside with us there if I can do some shadowing but because I'm no longer an employee with that care home I have to wait and go through some checks again. I will try at my local NHS trust too if people at my old place take a long time to respond. The thing freaking me out the most is the level of intakes at all these Universities. Don't know if they'll take me even I have the relevant experience and distinctions in my access. Will just have to try my luck and keep my hopes high. :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Joyland
As a matter of fact I have already worked in a rehabilitation care home for 15 months and just left the job a week ago. I have asked the OTs working alongside with us there if I can do some shadowing but because I'm no longer an employee with that care home I have to wait and go through some checks again. I will try at my local NHS trust too if people at my old place take a long time to respond. The thing freaking me out the most is the level of intakes at all these Universities. Don't know if they'll take me even I have the relevant experience and distinctions in my access. Will just have to try my luck and keep my hopes high. :smile:

Try not to worry about how many people apply to these course because honestly, which ever university course you apply to is going to be competitive. If I'm perfectly honest with your experience I highly doubt you're going to be turned down. You have a high range of strong experience in a health care setting going for you; this is will really go for you at application! So try not to worry too much. You'll be fine :smile:
Reply 43
Hi there

I am also hoping to apply for Occupational Therapy in 2015, at Glyndwr Uni. I can't make the open day on 1st July, due to work commitments, but hope to make another one.
Reply 44
Original post by Joyland
Hi

Can I ask you on what basis did Bournemouth University refuse you application even though you exceeded their minimum requirements. Also, I don't want to end up wasting a year waiting so any idea of where I can get volunteer work with some occupational therapists because I really want to increase my chances of getting into of the nearest universities next year.

Thanks for the info.

Hi
They rejected me after interview so I didn't have my grades then but other people on the course have had conditional offers of 24 merits. When I called for feedback they said I can apply if places are available in clearing so I will try but I have a child so can only apply to local uni's.
Quite a few people on my course have done shadowing at Bournemouth and Poole hospitals but I think it helps to know someone.
Reply 45
So where is everyone thinking of applying for OT?

Anyone been to open days?
Original post by LouieSax

Places in the North of England, so currently thinking Cumbria (Lancaster campus), Salford and maybe York St John. :smile: You?

I was at the Lancaster open day a few weeks ago, and Salford today (if anyone was there too for the 1.15 talk, I was the one at the front asking all the questions! :tongue:).

I'm not completely sure yet but I'm thinking brunel, oxford Brooke's, UWE and maybe two northern ones. No open days yet but I'm hoping to visit brunel in October. Brunel and oxford Brooke's have open days on the same day.. Typical! Can't go to both
Reply 48
At the moment, it all depends on my A2 grades (I'm getting them this summer) But I really really really want to get AAB so I can apply to UWE, Southampton, Cardiff, Plymouth and the fifth is undecided but I don't think I'll be able to get those grades, so I'll have to look further into different unis on results day :'(

I've been to Cardiff and UWE and I'm hoping to attend some more over the summer now ^-^
At the moment, it all depends on my A2 grades (I'm getting them this summer) But I really really really want to get AAB so I can apply to UWE, Southampton, Cardiff, Plymouth and the fifth is undecided but I don't think I'll be able to get those grades, so I'll have to look further into different unis on results day :'(

I've been to Cardiff and UWE and I'm hoping to attend some more over the summer now ^-^

Good luck with your grades. :smile:

My school grades are from long ago, so I'm focussing on volunteering and shadowing to try and make me look more attractive. :flutter: :tongue:
Original post by salimali
Hi there

I am also hoping to apply for Occupational Therapy in 2015, at Glyndwr Uni. I can't make the open day on 1st July, due to work commitments, but hope to make another one.

I'm also applying to Glyndwr. I attended their occupational therapy morning and thought it was useful. Are you getting any shadowing work? As i'm struggling to find any in my area.
Anyone got any further with shadowing and stuff? :smile: I did my shadowing morning up in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago and it was really interesting.

Still waiting on my DBS check for starting volunteering, which I'm getting a bit impatient about as I really want to get started, but otherwise things are going pretty well for me. :smile:
Reply 52
Hey :smile:
I recently completed my shadowing work experience and it was amazing. I'm really hoping I can try to get some experience in a Hospital setting now, so I can see the difference between the two settings. I doubt I'll be able to get anything by the time I apply, but I really fancy doing it anyway, for the experience, so I've put my name down for next summer in a hospital :smile:
How long have you been waiting for your DBS to go through?
They usually take 2-5 weeks roughly :smile:
Hey :smile:
I recently completed my shadowing work experience and it was amazing. I'm really hoping I can try to get some experience in a Hospital setting now, so I can see the difference between the two settings. I doubt I'll be able to get anything by the time I apply, but I really fancy doing it anyway, for the experience, so I've put my name down for next summer in a hospital :smile:
How long have you been waiting for your DBS to go through?
They usually take 2-5 weeks roughly :smile:

Awesome. :five: My one was in a hospital and it was really useful seeing what OTs can and can't realistically put into practise with patients in an acute setting. I agree it's definitely worth doing, even if it's just for your own interest. Was yours out in the community? I'd love to get some mental health experience as well, but no luck so far...

I'm hoping I'll be working with OTs to some extent in my volunteering too, once I finally get to do it - I think it's five or six weeks I've been waiting for the DBS now, so while I'm getting impatient I know it should come through soon. :smile:

Anyone going to the York St Johns open day soon (think it's next weekend?)?
Reply 54
Original post by superwolf
Awesome. :five: My one was in a hospital and it was really useful seeing what OTs can and can't realistically put into practise with patients in an acute setting. I agree it's definitely worth doing, even if it's just for your own interest. Was yours out in the community? I'd love to get some mental health experience as well, but no luck so far...

I'm hoping I'll be working with OTs to some extent in my volunteering too, once I finally get to do it - I think it's five or six weeks I've been waiting for the DBS now, so while I'm getting impatient I know it should come through soon. :smile:

Anyone going to the York St Johns open day soon (think it's next weekend?)?

Yeah both of my settings were out in the community and I'm really trying to get into a Hospital now but its proving impossible! Same, I'd love to try and get some OT shadowing in either mental health or learning disabilities because I have quite an interest in both of those to be honest, so it would be nice to see. Your volunteer work sounds amazing! Maybe you should follow up on your DBS check to see what is going on? And no not going to the open day. Which unis are you thinking of applying to (other than York St. John obv.) Superwolf? :smile:
Yeah both of my settings were out in the community and I'm really trying to get into a Hospital now but its proving impossible! Same, I'd love to try and get some OT shadowing in either mental health or learning disabilities because I have quite an interest in both of those to be honest, so it would be nice to see. Your volunteer work sounds amazing! Maybe you should follow up on your DBS check to see what is going on? And no not going to the open day. Which unis are you thinking of applying to (other than York St. John obv.) Superwolf? :smile:

Good luck getting in with a hospital - maybe try asking around friends/family - I got my one partially through my mum's working in the hospital, I still had to go through official channels and stuff but I think it was my mum who got my foot through the door. :tongue:

Yeah, I can't wait to start volunteering - it's in a residential rehab place for people leaving hospital, and should have tons of relevancy to OT work, just as soon as I can actually start it! :puppyeyes: The hospital I'm doing it through are going to chase up the DBS for me, so I'll ring them up later this week to see how things are getting along.

Salford, University of Cumbria (Lancaster campus) and York St John. Although I'm thinking of swapping out York St John for something else, as I've heard they're more focussed on the academic side of things, rather than practical situations. How about you? :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by superwolf
Good luck getting in with a hospital - maybe try asking around friends/family - I got my one partially through my mum's working in the hospital, I still had to go through official channels and stuff but I think it was my mum who got my foot through the door. :tongue:

Yeah, I can't wait to start volunteering - it's in a residential rehab place for people leaving hospital, and should have tons of relevancy to OT work, just as soon as I can actually start it! :puppyeyes: The hospital I'm doing it through are going to chase up the DBS for me, so I'll ring them up later this week to see how things are getting along.

Salford, University of Cumbria (Lancaster campus) and York St John. Although I'm thinking of swapping out York St John for something else, as I've heard they're more focussed on the academic side of things, rather than practical situations. How about you? :smile:

Yeah I've actually asked my sister (she's a radiographer) to try and get me into her hospital but nothing actually came of it which was very disappointing! But ah well, I've got the experience for my PS now, so I want to do it more for my own understanding of the difference between OT in the Hospital and in the Community, which would be nice to have an understanding of before I go into university next year, if you get what I mean :smile:
That sounds like an amazing experience and your right, ti should have such a great amount of relevance to OT! You'll get in with no problem with that! Are you only going to apply to the three? Or is that the only three for the moment? Because you can apply to up to five :smile: It depends on my A2 grades now, but at the moment, I'm seriously considering Southampton (Grades Pending), University of West England, Cardiff University, Plymouth University and possibly either Bournemouth or University of Northampton (haven't decided on my fifth option yet haha :L)
Yeah I've actually asked my sister (she's a radiographer) to try and get me into her hospital but nothing actually came of it which was very disappointing! But ah well, I've got the experience for my PS now, so I want to do it more for my own understanding of the difference between OT in the Hospital and in the Community, which would be nice to have an understanding of before I go into university next year, if you get what I mean :smile:
That sounds like an amazing experience and your right, ti should have such a great amount of relevance to OT! You'll get in with no problem with that! Are you only going to apply to the three? Or is that the only three for the moment? Because you can apply to up to five :smile: It depends on my A2 grades now, but at the moment, I'm seriously considering Southampton (Grades Pending), University of West England, Cardiff University, Plymouth University and possibly either Bournemouth or University of Northampton (haven't decided on my fifth option yet haha :L)

Ah, that's a shame. :console: I hope you do find somewhere else that'll take you on, waiting till next year to get proper experience feels like forever! :tongue:

I'm getting a bit more undecided about where to apply for - I know I definitely want to firm Salford (where I live currently), with Cumbria coming second, but I'm becoming more open to other places as well, since I've decided to apply for full-time rather than part-time... I've realised I wouldn't mind moving back to Edinburgh (where I'm from), although I don't know if Queen Margaret's the greatest, or there's also down South (which my boyfriend might prefer, as he'd be moving with me as well).

So yeah, everything's very much up in the air right now, although it'll be a lot simpler if Salford just accept me. :tongue:

Good luck with your grades, I hope you get the ones you're wanting. :smile:
Reply 58
Hey guys,
Completely random here but I am currently trying to finalise my five university choices and I am wondering whether anyone is considering or has visited Bournemouth University? Any opinions on the university? Thanks Guys I really appreciate it. :smile:
Reply 59
Hi,

I am currently studying an access course in college, and I hope to apply in Nov for the degree in Cardiff. When I attended the open day, they said that 300 people apply for each intake, 200 are interviewed and there are 60 places available. Where are you thinking of applying?

Quick Reply