The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LouieSax
Hmm... I'm not too sure on that one. Personally, I would say that if you can find a good way to fit it into your personal statement then there's no harm in including it!

Well that's why I went - to include it in my PS. The time I went to the learning disability school I got to participate in group therapy sessions with the kids so I guess it's probably better than most people have. I just can't find somewhere that will let me go for a week
Reply 81
Original post by Staceyc1990
Well that's why I went - to include it in my PS. The time I went to the learning disability school I got to participate in group therapy sessions with the kids so I guess it's probably better than most people have. I just can't find somewhere that will let me go for a week

I've heard that universities understand that getting work experience is brutally difficult and therefore any form of experience in a Health Care Sector is accepted. I mean they prefer work experience with an Occupational Therapist but they will not penalise people for not having it, so don't worry, you've got relevant stuff to the course that you are applying to, so don't worry too much about that, you'll be fine :smile:
Hey guys. I'm going to hopefully be studying on an OT course in 2015. However mine will be an Msc course as I have just finished a Bsc. I am looking for work for now in a care setting. Any tips on any good places to try?

Also hope you don't mind a prospective masters student jumping in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jimbles
Hey guys. I'm going to hopefully be studying on an OT course in 2015. However mine will be an Msc course as I have just finished a Bsc. I am looking for work for now in a care setting. Any tips on any good places to try?

Also hope you don't mind a prospective masters student jumping in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Volunteering somewhere like the RDA might help, they seem to be desperate for volunteers
Volunteering somewhere like the RDA might help, they seem to be desperate for volunteers

hey, what is the RDA? :smile: have you been with them?
I believe any work experience in a health and social care setting is useful. I've heard it's notoriously hard to get OT experience.

You could contact your local hospital volunteering department to see what opportunities are available. Also care can be relatively easy to get into - home care even more so, especially if you are willing to work evenings and weekends. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find something :smile:

I have just secured a weekend job as a support worker in a supported living house for people with learning difficulties but I am still going to try and get some OT shadowing/work experience too if possible. The problem is it's better to have the experience before submitting our personal statements but the PS needs to be submitted sooner rather than later!
Original post by x-michelle-x
I believe any work experience in a health and social care setting is useful. I've heard it's notoriously hard to get OT experience.

You could contact your local hospital volunteering department to see what opportunities are available. Also care can be relatively easy to get into - home care even more so, especially if you are willing to work evenings and weekends. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find something :smile:

I have just secured a weekend job as a support worker in a supported living house for people with learning difficulties but I am still going to try and get some OT shadowing/work experience too if possible. The problem is it's better to have the experience before submitting our personal statements but the PS needs to be submitted sooner rather than later!

That message was for you jimbles.... I Tried to link it to your message but obviously failed in my attempt lol x
Original post by superwolf
We might end up at the same uni then! :biggrin: I'm applying for Cumbria (Lancaster campus) and York St Johns too. :smile:

I'll have a look into the discovery day thing, thanks for the tip off. :smile:

I'll maybe see you there on Monday then :smile:

Sounds like it will be good for gaining some useful information on OT and the course. It'll be good to use the experience of the day in the the personal statement too x
Original post by jimbles
hey, what is the RDA? :smile: have you been with them?

Riding for the disabled association. Certain stables do it and you can go along and be a helper. I was there for a few weeks until I broke my wrist
Riding for the disabled association. Certain stables do it and you can go along and be a helper. I was there for a few weeks until I broke my wrist

Ooh, I'd heard of that but not looked into it. I used to do a bit of horse riding, might be something right up my street! :biggrin:
Original post by superwolf
Ooh, I'd heard of that but not looked into it. I used to do a bit of horse riding, might be something right up my street! :biggrin:

I only did horse riding one summer in America when I was working at camp, up until then I was terrified of horses :P

Oh I'll see if there's anything close by for that that I can volunteer at :smile:
Yeah just go onto their website and check it out. I'm pretty sure they'll be looking for people. If you have a look on a voluntary site you'll probably find quite a lot of care related opportunities
Hi Guys, does anybody know how long Teeside University take to get back to you with regards to your application? Even more helpful if you know when they get back to you about 2015 January MSc entry? :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by jimbles
Hi Guys, does anybody know how long Teeside University take to get back to you with regards to your application? Even more helpful if you know when they get back to you about 2015 January MSc entry? :smile:

I don't know specifically but I believe a lot of people who applied in my year group last year heard back at the very latest (and this was considered very late in comparison to the rest) was February, however, as I stated that was a very late reply. I believe universities have a deadline to give their decisions to all applicants by early May! However, most heard back in the very early months particularly between December-January time but obviously, because our course has interviews it takes a little longer to get our offers compared to other courses, unfortunately. If you are concerned about anything through about the lateness of the reply, you could email the uni directly and ask them!
I hope this helps :smile: Is Teeside your top university then?
I don't know specifically but I believe a lot of people who applied in my year group last year heard back at the very latest (and this was considered very late in comparison to the rest) was February, however, as I stated that was a very late reply. I believe universities have a deadline to give their decisions to all applicants by early May! However, most heard back in the very early months particularly between December-January time but obviously, because our course has interviews it takes a little longer to get our offers compared to other courses, unfortunately. If you are concerned about anything through about the lateness of the reply, you could email the uni directly and ask them!
I hope this helps :smile: Is Teeside your top university then?

I'd like to get started asap and as I'll be doing a master's it helps me that it begins in January. I asked them if they are still taking applications ans they said yes. Those time scales you gave are no good for me as I assume that's for a BSc course? :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by jimbles
I'd like to get started asap and as I'll be doing a master's it helps me that it begins in January. I asked them if they are still taking applications ans they said yes. Those time scales you gave are no good for me as I assume that's for a BSc course? :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right I see, I didn't know it worked differently for masters! Haha :L Maybe as I said before, maybe contact the university admissions, I'm sure they'll give you a rough date :smile: Sorry for the confusion :smile:
Ah right I see, I didn't know it worked differently for masters! Haha :L Maybe as I said before, maybe contact the university admissions, I'm sure they'll give you a rough date :smile: Sorry for the confusion :smile:

Haha don't worry I can see how you were coming from, but obviously as this is a Jan 15 start date there is going to be some difference in the process I assume? Like I assume they may give me answer sooner rather than later as it's only 4 months away lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by jimbles
Haha don't worry I can see how you were coming from, but obviously as this is a Jan 15 start date there is going to be some difference in the process I assume? Like I assume they may give me answer sooner rather than later as it's only 4 months away lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I get you. I would recommend you email the unis that you are applying to OR the alternative is, obviously, you could contact UCAS as they may have an idea (if you are applying through UCAS). I find UCAS are especially useful and you can even inbox them on facebook or other social media, which I found has been a great help :smile:
I hope this helps :smile:
Ah, I get you. I would recommend you email the unis that you are applying to OR the alternative is, obviously, you could contact UCAS as they may have an idea (if you are applying through UCAS). I find UCAS are especially useful and you can even inbox them on facebook or other social media, which I found has been a great help :smile:
I hope this helps :smile:

Thank you. My only option really is to email them and hope they get back quick as I find unis ars actually slow at this sort of stuff!!!

Masters don't apply through ucas which does suck as you have to apply to each one seperately lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by jimbles
Thank you. My only option really is to email them and hope they get back quick as I find unis ars actually slow at this sort of stuff!!!

Masters don't apply through ucas which does suck as you have to apply to each one seperately lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah! Well, that's the best advice I can give you I'm sorry, is to email the individual universities to find out that way! Its such a shame you don't have something like UCAS to refer to if you get stuck :s-smilie: Or another alternative, which I'm assuming you've probably tried is googling it :/

Quick Reply

Latest