The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Is a 90% average good enough to be accepted into the University of St. Andrews?

I am from Canada, just finishing my grade 11 year. I am planning on applying to various Canadian universities (which I am fairly confident about) as well as to St Andrews for Philosophy and Social Anthropology. I have already taken/am taking three grade 12 courses and can predict, with considerable accuracy, my marks for the courses I have elected to take next year.

English: 86% (might retake)
World History: 90%
Philosophy: 90% (in progress/expected)
Law: 92% (expected)
Sociology: 94% (expected) - This is a mixed level course, does that change anything?
Communications Technology: 95% (expected)
Photography: 93% (expected)
French: 96% (expected)
Literature: 90% (expected)
Business: 93% (expected) - Also a mixed level course

All of the courses, excluding the two I identified, are academic level (the highest for my school) and are obviously not IB level. Does not having any IB credits, never mind a certificate/diploma, change anything in terms of how admissions might look at my application?

I know the entrance requirements on the university's website say "an overall average of 85% in Ontario Secondary School Diploma (can be a combination of 4U and 4M courses but should include no more than 2x4M courses," but for a university such as St. Andrews, wouldn't the average be a bit higher?

Also, I have extensive volunteer experiences to add to my résumé, would this affect my application at all?
I can't comment on the Canadian qualifications thing, but I can tell you this for the rest:
The 85% overall is basically a cutoff level. If you have a higher average, you will get past the first filtering round and they will read your personal statement.
Put all your relevant work experience and volunteering in your personal statement. Make sure you link it to the degree you want to do - show your passion for the subject. It's better to mention one related experience than many unrelated part-time jobs. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I'm sure you will be fine.
St Andrew's is incredibly overrated though so glad I rejected it.
Original post by abireid96
I am from Canada, just finishing my grade 11 year. I am planning on applying to various Canadian universities (which I am fairly confident about) as well as to St Andrews for Philosophy and Social Anthropology. I have already taken/am taking three grade 12 courses and can predict, with considerable accuracy, my marks for the courses I have elected to take next year.

Sociology: 94% (expected) - This is a mixed level course, does that change anything?

All of the courses, excluding the two I identified, are academic level (the highest for my school) and are obviously not IB level. Does not having any IB credits, never mind a certificate/diploma, change anything in terms of how admissions might look at my application?

I know the entrance requirements on the university's website say "an overall average of 85% in Ontario Secondary School Diploma (can be a combination of 4U and 4M courses but should include no more than 2x4M courses," but for a university such as St. Andrews, wouldn't the average be a bit higher?

Also, I have extensive volunteer experiences to add to my résumé, would this affect my application at all?

A 90% will be fine. It won't guarantee you a place, but it won't be to your detriment. I think I finished with a 92 or 93 average and obviously here I am. If they say no more than 4 4M courses, then anything below that is fine. Don't try to make it more complicated than it has to be.

What will get you in is your personal statement and reference, so start mapping those out now. Get your guidance counsellor and english teacher to edit them for you multiple times. Make sure your personal statement is all about the subject you're applying for, no extraneous information.

But mark-wise, you're fine. Honestly, St Andrews is the EASIEST high-calibre uni in the UK for a Canadian to get into. Every other school I got into, no matter the calibre, wanted better marks than St Andrews.
I am the father of a current student from the United States.

My experience has been that standardized test scores (SATs, advanced placement exams) are the most important thing, and that extracurricular activities are not very important.

I would presume that similar criteria would be required for Canadian students.

Original post by abireid96

Original post by floridadad55
I am the father of a current student from the United States.

My experience has been that standardized test scores (SATs, advanced placement exams) are the most important thing, and that extracurricular activities are not very important.

I would presume that similar criteria would be required for Canadian students.

Not so, because we don't have standardised tests (unless you take APs, which isn't hugely common), aside from the OSSLT, which doesn't go on transcripts sent to Unis.

If it's any use, when I emailed them and asked if one mark brought my average below an 85 (the class I was doing badly in was Math, and my degree is history) they said they really didn't care. So academics are important, but the passion for the subject as demonstrated in your PS and reference are more important, I'd say. I honestly think marks are just the filter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending