The Student Room Group

58% of labour supporters are benefit claimers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MASTER265
A recent article on the daily mail reported that 58% of the labour votes in the last general election came from benefit scroungers. This is compared to 14% and 8% for Liberals and Tories respectively.

Is this fair?, clearly the majority of labour support is either from scroungers or unions, hardly a representation of everyone in society. Can labour truly represent the average hard working person?

Most benefits are given to those in work.
Reply 41
Original post by Martyn*
Link? I doubt 58% do vote Labour because the unemployed are under represented. Not only that but also because the unemployed are less likely to vote than working people, and if the 58% is true, how many of that percentage are pensioners? Are they "scroungers" too? Perhaps in your Tory word (presuming you are Tory) they are scroungers, but the political party you like so much still wants the pensioner vote! Can you have your cake and eat it?

The 58% is minus pensioners and is made up purely of those seeking JSA, housing benefit, and the benefits for lazy scroungers. I don't class pensioners as scroungers as long as they have worked hard and payed into the system.

It's on Dailymail somewhere if you want to look for it but BBC, guardian and The Independent reported the same story if you prefer them.

I am not a Tory voter either. What makes you say that? I am a labour voter and I am not afraid to share the facts and a well known idea that labour is the party of scroungers
Reply 42
Original post by Comus
Most benefits are given to those in work.

The same article reported 78% of the welfare bill is shared out in labour constituencies, and of them 75% of the welfare bill is payed out to labour supporters.

The fact is labour is the party of scroungers and benefit claimers, that's all they have to show for themselves.
Original post by billydisco
you think not having money would deter the Labour party? They freely admitted in 2010 they would just like to continue borrowing more money to solve the debt crisis!

You have to have someone willing to extend you credit though. Gilts are easy enough to flog at the moment, but in the event the Treasury accounts were in the sort of parlous state they would be with majority unemployment you wouldn't be able to shift them.
The 58% is minus pensioners and is made up purely of those seeking JSA, housing benefit, and the benefits for lazy scroungers. I don't class pensioners as scroungers as long as they have worked hard and payed into the system.

It's on Dailymail somewhere if you want to look for it but BBC, guardian and The Independent reported the same story if you prefer them.

I am not a Tory voter either. What makes you say that? I am a labour voter and I am not afraid to share the facts and a well known idea that labour is the party of scroungers

I need to see the link, and then I need to see the data set for this figure, because I don't believe it. It is not a fact for me unless I can see it with my own eyes, it is nothing more than conjecture. 58% of Labour voters are unemployed. I doubt this very much. The 58% percent figure is mentioned here:

http://labourlist.org/2013/09/labour-is-winning-womens-votes/

But this is women's votes. I cannot find anything about 58% of Labour voters are on the dole.

So it's impossible for anyone who claims JSA and or housing benefit to have worked hard and paid into the system, they must all just be benefit scroungers?
Original post by anarchism101
So it's impossible for anyone who claims JSA and or housing benefit to have worked hard and paid into the system, they must all just be benefit scroungers?

That's ambiguity... it's not something people like him can comprehend. :rolleyes:
I don't know why this is a surprise. It seems blindingly obvious that most Labour voters would be receiving some kind of benefit, I'm only surprised it isn't higher. Which benefits are they including in this definition?
I love how somehow anybody who is in receipt of any kind of welfare support is automatically a 'scrounger', as if there is no legitimate excuse for being in receipt of welfare. That's an utterly retarded attitude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending