The Student Room Group

Advice For A New Vegetarian

1. What are the staples that every vegetarian should have in their houses?
2. How do you get around the problem of having to eat different meals to your family?
3. How do you respond to annoying questions such as 'where do you get your protein from?'
4. What are foods to avoid that have animal products in that may not be so obvious e.g. marshmallows?

Thanks, any additional information or advice will be greatly appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
1. Beans and lentils. You need to get protein from somewhere.
2. You could just prepare your own meals or have more meals that don't include meat or can have the meat element removed and/or replaced easily. For example, you can still have a roast dinner, just replace the meat with a quorn fillet or something,
3. Just tell them.
4. Haribo.
Reply 2
I've done the same thing recently replaced milk with other things such as almont milk, coconut milk even hemp milk they all taste as good with my morning cereal.

I eat alot of lentils mainly in curry and soup form, also lots of beans mushrooms red cabbage ect.

Tea has been replaced with green tea.
Reply 3
Original post by tinhat
I recently decided to become a vegetarian for ethical reasons, but I don't really know much about the lifestyle and would like some advice from fellow veggies please:

2. How do you get around the problem of having to eat different meals to your family?
3. How do you respond to annoying questions such as 'where do you get your protein from?'
4. What are foods to avoid that have animal products in that may not be so obvious e.g. marshmallows?

In tern=ms of answering number 4, this link should direct you to a thread that has lots of items.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1545567&page=22
1. Beans (e.g: Kidney beans), chickpeas, vegetables in general. Also spices are handy to have.
2. Depending on the meal, you could cook it vegetarian, and then your family could add meat, etc afterwards. Or just have two separate pans. Sometimes you could offer to cook a family meal that's suitable as well.
3. Protein is found in all sorts of foods in high amounts, e.g: Nuts. In fact, it's so easy to get 55g of protein from beans and nuts alone. Protein is also found in milks (both dairy and non). In fact according to the American Dietetic Association states that a majority of Americans eat twice the amount of protein they need, which has harmful effects. You can find more information on the exact amounts of protein in a handful of almonds, etc, on the Vegetarian Society's website.
4. Haribo, gummy bears, some yoghurts, etc which contain gelatine. Also some dairy products contain rennet which vegetarians tend to avoid (although you have to research this on a company by company basis). Note that parmesan contains rennet, and so isn't vegetarian. Another ingredient is carmine acid/cochineal (E120), found in some sweets (especially red ones).
Reply 5
Original post by shahbaz
I've done the same thing recently replaced milk with other things such as almont milk, coconut milk even hemp milk they all taste as good with my morning cereal.

I eat alot of lentils mainly in curry and soup form, also lots of beans mushrooms red cabbage ect.

Tea has been replaced with green tea.

do u like the taste of green tea or just have cos healthier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by XXSimmyXX
do u like the taste of green tea or just have cos healthier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just so i dont have to use milk and after a few times you start to kind of like it. But its great its also good for you.
Reply 7
Idk if this helps but my mom basically cooks all my meals 😇
But if I try and cook it's basically beans on toast
Reply 8
Original post by shahbaz
Just so i dont have to use milk and after a few times you start to kind of like it. But its great its also good for you.

Iv tried it and i didnt really like it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Iv tried it and i didnt really like it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends which brand you buy, the taste can vary significantly the better quallity the better taste.
Reply 10
Thanks to (almost) everyone :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by shahbaz
Depends which brand you buy, the taste can vary significantly the better quallity the better taste.

what brand do u use lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tinhat
I recently decided to become a vegetarian for ethical reasons, but I don't really know much about the lifestyle and would like some advice from fellow veggies please:

1. Nothing in particular, but I would recommend trying Linda McCartney sausages, burgers, meatballs and scampi and Sainsbury's Beans & Meat free sausages

2. I do all my own cooking at home.

3. I'd say "tell them" but to be honest, it gets annoying having people argue the toss with you thinking they're nutritional experts when they're overweight and have low muscle mass in the first place. I've actually had people tell me I will die if I don't eat meat, which is ridiculous. Quite simply, vegetarians/vegans HAVE to research their diet, most carnivores don't. I know more about nutrition than the average person because of my diet so it's very annoying to have petty arguments with ignorant, obnoxious meat eaters. I simply tell them I don't care.

4. Most things from the chippy. Most things from the sweet aisle. A lot of things from the alcohol aisle. A lot of things from the cheese aisle.

Curry, gravy, marshmallows, red white, white wine, beer, parmesan, etc.
Reply 13
Original post by Dr. Robert
1. Nothing in particular, but I would recommend trying Linda McCartney sausages, burgers, meatballs and scampi and Sainsbury's Beans & Meat free sausages

2. I do all my own cooking at home.

3. I'd say "tell them" but to be honest, it gets annoying having people argue the toss with you thinking they're nutritional experts when they're overweight and have low muscle mass in the first place. I've actually had people tell me I will die if I don't eat meat, which is ridiculous. Quite simply, vegetarians/vegans HAVE to research their diet, most carnivores don't. I know more about nutrition than the average person because of my diet so it's very annoying to have petty arguments with ignorant, obnoxious meat eaters. I simply tell them I don't care.

4. Most things from the chippy. Most things from the sweet aisle. A lot of things from the alcohol aisle. A lot of things from the cheese aisle.

Curry, gravy, marshmallows, red white, white wine, beer, parmesan, etc.

The Sainsbury's vegie lentil and bean burgers are great, also that Linda McCartney stuff is good but a little expensive, also do you use quorn im not sure on it?
Reply 14
what brand do u use lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its like african grean tea the brand is called tik tok or something and you get it from tesco.
Original post by shahbaz
Its like african grean tea the brand is called tik tok or something and you get it from tesco.

oh right i might have to try it, i got clippers green tea with lemom from tesco and i dont really like it,but that might be cos green tea not for me idk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shahbaz
The Sainsbury's vegie lentil and bean burgers are great, also that Linda McCartney stuff is good but a little expensive, also do you use quorn im not sure on it?

Quorn is 50 / 50 for me.

I love the chicken and ready meals but hate the mince and meatballs. The sausages aren't nice either, but I haven't tried the burgers, etc. so wouldn't know!

FYI, the mince in the ready meals is OK.
1. Quorn chicken pieces and Quorn mince. Although this depends on whether or not you're becoming vegetarian because you don't like the taste of meat. I use these ingredients in pretty much every dinnertime meal I have. I love all Quorn food (:

2. I don't live with my family as I'm at university, but whenever I go home my mum is really good and makes me a separate dish. I've been a vegetarian for 7 years now so my family are pretty used to it. The weird thing is, is that I come from a farming family! (;

3. The most annoying question I get is "Why are you a vegetarian then?" I know it shouldn't be annoying but it is, mainly because I'm just a veggie because I like it! It used to be about animal cruelty, but when I researched it I found that we have so many laws in the UK that the way we treat animals here isn't so bad. And obviously I've grown up on a farm so maybe I don't see it as bad as it really is. So when I say to people that I'm a vegetarian because I prefer the food and like it, they usually don't see that as a 'good enough' reason, which is annoying! To be honest, I don't really need a reason to be who I want to be (:

4. Haribo, some cheeses, fruit pastilles, some jams...
1. Quorn, brocoli, peanut butter, M&S veggie Percy pigs
2. My sister is as well but we still get family grief
3. Quorn, glorious quorn! And peanut butter OMG...
4. Some cheese&yoghurt has calf intestine in it (to break down enzymes), sweets have crushed bugs to make the colour and/or coated in the gloss (e.g skittles, m&ms) some beers are filtered through fish gills (e.g guiness)

But you'll feel healthier and less ethically guilty by not contributing to the holocaust of animals :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest