The Student Room Group

Abuse or no?

A mother disciplining her child in the way she sees fit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2613651/Shocking-video-Caribbean-mother-brutally-whipping-daughter-12-belt-posing-semi-nude-Facebook-goes-viral.html

Do you agree with her methods?

Were you beaten as a child?

What do you think are the pros and or cons of this style of parenting?

Discuss!

Scroll to see replies

That is disgusting.

That woman is not fit to be a mother.
Reply 2
Original post by Arieisit
A mother disciplining her child in the way she sees fit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2613651/Shocking-video-Caribbean-mother-brutally-whipping-daughter-12-belt-posing-semi-nude-Facebook-goes-viral.html

Do you agree with her methods?

Were you beaten as a child?

What do you think are the pros and or cons of this style of parenting?

Discuss!

Simple answer, no. I was beaten as a child, I'm 22 if I did something like that my mother would still beat me. It has taught me respect. I'm not saying beat your kids till they die - but just until they learn respect and listening skills... I believe this is justified.

If you want further clarification watch Russel Peters - Beating Your Kids :smile: :smile: :smile:
Personally, I'm all for parents disciplining their children if they do something wrong, but whipping your child with a belt for six minutes is a bit extreme. That way, they learn right from wrong and often think twice before doing wrong.
No.

I was beaten as a child. Repeatedly. And have many scars.

I think some light physical intervention may be apropriate for parenting but certainly not the striking of a child. The idea may have a good basis: insuring that the kids respect you as opposed to seeing you as a friend and thus disregarding your advice. That however, can be be done in other ways.

That video doesn't have the shock factor as it may for the English as I grew up in the Carribean but still, I disagree.
Certainly not the punishment I would have used, but I wouldn't call it abuse. She did do something that wasn't very clever, after all. Now she will definitely think twice before doing it again, or at least try harder to not get caught...

Original post by Law-Hopeful
That woman is not fit to be a mother.

really
Original post by + polarity -
really

Really.
I personally think this is abuse, but that's because I think physical contact should not be used to discipline your child: I think one thing is a single spank, which I have received as a kid when I have been particularly unruly or made my parents really worried about my behaviour, and a different thing is a continued beating. Also, there is the fact that the beating was recorded.Clearly, the mother wasn't just looking to discipline the child but to shame her. I don't think what she has done was the best way to go about it...
1) No I don't agree bit excessive
2) My parents did hit me but never ever that badly
3) I'm an angel now :angel:
Reply 9
Original post by keromedic
No.

I was beaten as a child. Repeatedly. And have many scars.

I think some light physical intervention may be apropriate for parenting but certainly not the striking of a child. The idea may have a good basis: insuring that the kids respect you as opposed to seeing you as a friend and thus disregarding your advice. That however, can be be done in other ways.

That video doesn't have the shock factor as it may for the English as I grew up in the Carribean but still, I disagree.

I live in the Caribbean currently and I can say that I've never been beaten in any way like that and certainly not for so long.

I would never beat my children when I get them that is.
I think all parents who have to physically assault their children to reprimand them are contemptible. There are plenty of other methods of parenting and it puzzles me that people have the stomach to raise a hand to a child. My mother never beat me, nor raised a hand towards me apart from a light slap if I did something dangerous, and I have manners and was a well-behaved child.

The parent could have simply prevented the girl having access to facebook/restricted access to the internet for a period of time.
This was a one-off, if you read the article the girl being beaten posted a video saying she was fine. Granted this was a bit extreme, but the girls actions were extremely silly. I wouldn't say this is abuse at all. My parents used to give me a smack if I misbehaved and I turned out fine. This is a bit over the top though.
Reply 12
I love me a good old horsewhipping. Serves her right for being such an unruly little slut.
Reply 13
Original post by edgarcats
I think all parents who have to physically assault their children to reprimand them are contemptible. There are plenty of other methods of parenting and it puzzles me that people have the stomach to raise a hand to a child. My mother never beat me, nor raised a hand towards me apart from a light slap if I did something dangerous, and I have manners and was a well-behaved child.

The parent could have simply prevented the girl having access to facebook/restricted access to the internet for a period of time.

I completely agree with you. Putting a child in fear is a pathetic, lazy and disgusting parenting method (if you can call it that.)
A slap is one thing, a prolonged whipping with a belt quite another.

More worrying some of those strikes were near her face, they could have easily taken an eye out.

Definite abuse.
Reply 15
Original post by Stinkum
I love me a good old horsewhipping. Serves her right for being such an unruly little slut.

This is uncalled for.
oh god... i just read the top daily mail comments on this onee... .j :afraid:

Assaulting someone repeatedly with a belt is never right, i don't care if it is your child.
Reply 17
Maybe if she was a better mother she wouldn't have to resort to such extreme measures. That was horrible to watch
Reply 18
Original post by Arieisit
This is uncalled for.

She was clearly soliciting. I'm extremely shocked that a 12 year old girl would be selling herself so shamelessly. She deserved what she got and more. I fully support what the mother did. Surely the sodding hussy didn't expect to sell her body for sex and walk away scot free! Her shamefulness knows no bounds. She should be fitted with a chastity belt.
Being a bit frightened the odd time isn't the same as living in fear of someone.

When I was a nipper I got knocked around a bit. I'd often be seen with bruises and handprints. Did I like it? No, of course not.

Would I change it? NO! I learned the 'avoid the clobber' dance pretty well. I learned to shut up and get on with things (I don't been in a really submissive way - but I used to be a kid that told tales excessively, cried about the smallest slight, made hysterics over a grazed knee, etc. - I was OTT) and I learned that part of life is sucking unpleasant things up at times. And it was learning, you misbehave and you get consequences. I don't think people these days get taught what true consequences are, and at some point they get bitten in the ass.

When I got older (see below) my father moved on to emotional abuse. Being knocked around, that was ok, it didn't 'damage' me. Being taught to think for myself, about myself, as being nothing more than a **** under someone's shoes - that was far, far worse, and I am still pretty crippled by the effect 15 years on. Mention being hit though and it doesn't bother me.

However, I also learned to stand up for myself - I got hit in the face when I was 12-13, and I slapped my Dad straight back. For many people, that's the cycle of violence repeated right there, and for the next four years if it came to standing up for myself or a friend, I was a vicious fighter. As a person though, although I can be volatile, violence isn't really my 'thing', and as such I've never deliberately harmed anyone (even in self-defense) for 10 years. I guess for someone more inclined towards physical aggression, that's them set up to keep on physically assaulting people.

When I have kids, and they are small, I will hit them. Not as much as I got hit (and certainly not as hard) but I will use it as discipline, yes. Once at age of reasoning, then no, I don't want to teach that violence is acceptable.

I think the use of a belt, and 6 minutes, I do think that that is excessive.
But I think in general, she is looking out for her kids. They made a video in her defense... She is probably regretting her actions. People make mistakes. I think there is a lot of love there and I do think she had the right intentions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending