The Student Room Group

Abuse or no?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scannergirl

I didn't put specifics, because different things are considered in different ways by different cultures and generations.
I'm aware that doesn't give my statement much integrity - but see the above within this post, and I've pretty much been stripped of it anyway :tongue:
From my own perspective - 'atrocious' would be taking advantage of a vulnerable person (e.g. elderly, disabled, retarded) by threat/intimidation, or cunning, for personal gain.

And you think that teaching a child that violence solves problem will stop them from doing such wrong things? I don't but I'm curious to see your counterargument.
Reply 41
Original post by LuckyMe
I agree with disciplining your children. However, I agree this was a bit too extreme.
Clearly the child was wrong and she acknowledged her mistake. Yet, I think it is not fair to allude to the fact that the mother is not a good one simply because she retorted to whipping her child. I believe if she wasn't a good mother, she probably wouldn't care about her child posting pictures semi-nude. However, here is a mother who is trying to correct her daughter's ways and to get her to think twice about her actions.

I mean lets face fact, we all did stupid things when we were kids- probably not this extreme. And although our parents might have chosen different disciplinary methods, lets remember that we have very different cultures from others.

I'm from that country. I've grown up in this culture and I can say to you now that it is WRONG in all ways to hit a child like that.

The excuse most here use is a quote from the bible which says something to the effect of spare the rod and spoil the child
Reply 42
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Whipping your 12 year old child with a belt repeatedly on her arms/legs and HEAD is unacceptable. If that doesn't make a bad mother then I don't know what does. Sure the girl shouldn't have done what she did, but for her own mother to practically torture her for it is abhorrent.

Reminds me of the Plan B song 'Tough Love':
"They call it tough love, I call it hatred"

Well for starters, I did say it was a bit extreme. But I still maintain she is not a bad mother. How you define a bad mother is subjective but I see a bad mother as someone who has no time for her children. Someone who is constantly doing drugs and thinking about only herself when she clearly has children to take care of. But this is clearly not the case here. She did this to correct her child so how exactly does that make her bad??

i agree though....it is 'Tough Love'
Smacking works on little kids who are too stupid yet to understand verbal discipline, and/or have no theory of mind yet to understand the views of others. Whack 'em on the ass and send 'em to bed early, simple. When they get to about 7 or 8 and they've had a bit more social interaction at school they start to be affected by verbal discipline and shaming.

That video is gratuitous physical abuse perpetrated on a young teenager.
Original post by keromedic
And you think that teaching a child that violence solves problem will stop them from doing such wrong things? I don't but I'm curious to see your counterargument.

I replied to this earlier as a response from another person challenging my viewpoint :smile:

Interesting. If I've got any left, I'm +1'ing you, you've made me think.

I think I probably was emotionally abused by my father. Not intentionally (he had a very severe head injury before I was born which means he can be extremely volatile, reactionary, more violent and generally just harsher - and he does lack insight into that, because it's a biological change. He had pretty bad brain damage and was in a coma for 6 weeks). It's also of note though that I was being sexually abused from the age of 5-6 (not by my father, and he was unaware of it).

Interesting ''No beating I've ever gotten changed my views on anything. I certainly pretended it did.'' I have to say I'm the same. I was going to reply saying, 'but it taught me what I shouldn't do if I didn't want another clout' but then I realised, I'd not NEED to learn to avoid a clout if I didn't get one in the first place. That has made me think hard actually.

I would still most definitely not have qualms about smacking a kid if they were about to stick a fork in the toaster, no question. Gosh though, curveball. I would still react immediately to a misdemeanor but I'd consider immediately removing a privilege instead.

Food for thought!
For those who claim that children have to be disciplined or controlled in this way to instil obedience and order within them, would you be fine with us beating elderly people or the disabled who, perhaps due to their mental deterioration, have the mind of a child?
Original post by Arieisit
I'm from that country. I've grown up in this culture and I can say to you now that it is WRONG in all ways to hit a child like that.

The excuse most here use is a quote from the bible which says something to the effect of spare the rod and spoil the child

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2“Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3“so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”a 4Fathers,b do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

How I used to love quoting the bolded verse whenever my parents used to invoke the old "respect your elders" line. Funny that they never drill that part of this particular Biblical law into your head when you're a kid!
Reply 47
I guess I see it as, it's only 'forcing' if you do it strongly enough that they desist. My head is telling me that I do what *I* consider acceptable and then leave it.
Oh **** you, haha (I don't mean that offensively), I guess if my 'reasonable' discipline doesn't work I end up punching the little **** to the ground to make my point :frown:.
Yeah I ain't really considered what happens if someone deviates from the Masterplan....

I'm no expert but I think you seek council from a professional before you have children. This is meant as advice and not an insult.
Original post by LuckyMe
Well for starters, I did say it was a bit extreme. But I still maintain she is not a bad mother. How you define a bad mother is subjective but I see a bad mother as someone who has no time for her children. Someone who is constantly doing drugs and thinking about only herself when she clearly has children to take care of. But this is clearly not the case here. She did this to correct her child so how exactly does that make her bad??

i agree though....it is 'Tough Love'

All those things constitute a bad mother, but what the women in question did also constitutes someone who is clearly not fit to be a mum.

You don't 'correct' a 12 year old child through excessive physical abuse, which I'd argue effectively constitutes torture and most definitely child abuse.
I replied to this earlier as a response from another person challenging my viewpoint :smile:

Thanks.
Reply 50
Original post by scrotgrot
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2“Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3“so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”a 4Fathers,b do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

How I used to love quoting the bolded verse whenever my parents used to invoke the old "respect your elders" line. Funny that they never drill that part of this particular Biblical law into your head when you're a kid!

Christian people are very hypocritical and I tend to keep away from religious discussions with them but that is a debate for another thread.
If she doesn't do it again, then I'd say it worked.
Reply 52
Original post by siwelmail
If she doesn't do it again, then I'd say it worked.

A child is not an experiment. What if it fails? The mother cannot undo the damages caused.
Abuse.
One or two licks wid the belt is fine.
Locking her in her room without a phone or contact with the outside world for a few days is even better.
But that was just too excessive.

Not gonna blame mumsie too much though because sadly she is a product of her environment and she dont know any better
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm no expert but I think you seek council from a professional before you have children. This is meant as advice and not an insult.

I'm not taking that as an insult, don't worry.

The stars actually make it seem worse than it looked when I wrote it - as it was clearer when the words were used, I was using strong language in jest. The removal of that makes it seem that was more its desired intent.
I swear too much. 85% of the time it is used in jest (not a good thing to swear so much, I am aware.......).

I just wanted to say, many years on and after a LOT of therapy (I've been 'in therapy' for 9 years - 3 self-funded so now I am broke, instead of upper-middle clahhhs, dahhhling :tongue: - no regrets either lol) and I had a 16-month hospital admission) I have learned how to manage my emotions. As a personality I am laid-back and I do NOT get angry easily. Unless it's something absolutely despicable (I mean child rape etc.). I haven't deliberately inflicted injury/pain on anybody for 10 years (well since 16) and the only accidental pain has been things like shutting fingers in a hinge (my point being, I don't unintentionally lash out, ever).

Also - hand on heart, if I thought I was potentially at ANY risk of acting in a way I deem inappropriate, I can say in a heartbeat that if I'd been planning on having a child thinking I was ready, I would put that on hold. My viewpoint is that if you bring a life into the world (or, take on the responsibility and ACT AS THOUGH you have brought that life into the world - my view on adopting) then that is your life's focus, and you sacrifice - well, anything and everything, if you have to.

I won't be a bad mum. If I'm not in the place to be a good mum... I would rather have my heart broken and live without kids, than screw up another life. I think we have enough messed-up people in the world.
Original post by ILovePancakes
First one was Austria
2nd Canada
3rd UK.

could be immigrants still
"Brutally whipping"? What a joke, she wasn't even being hit that hard! It would've been an even greater abuse to just let it go unpunished imo, and having a 'conversation' with the child won't do anything to change this type of behaviour. Yeah it seems harsh now but it's a good deterrent from future crappy behaviour
Original post by matthewduncan
could be immigrants still

I fail to understand your point.

Even if they are, it doesn't make their point of view correct.
Forcing someone into submission via violence is reminiscent of slavery!

totally agree
Original post by ILovePancakes
I fail to understand your point.

Even if they are, it doesn't make their point of view correct.

Never said they were. Just saying they could possibly have immigrated to those countries from the caribbean where it is the norm for that type of punishment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending