The Student Room Group

Classics or French for Getting into Law at Oxbridge

Which is better for getting into Law at Oxbridge classics or french????
:smile:
Unless you want to French Law, I don't think it matters. But you need an essay-writing subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
But you need an essay-writing subject.

No you don't. Every year candidates are admitted off the back of all science A levels
Classics along with Latin is an old-time favourite in Oxbridge, especially for Law. However, I'd do the one I liked and if you're opting for the 4 year course with one year spent at an international university, I would pick French. They ask for you to do one language at A-level if you want to do the longer course that involves time abroad- search up Law at Oxford entry requirements or something
Original post by dooglebirden
Which is better for getting into Law at Oxbridge classics or french????
:smile:

Whichever one you're most likely to get the best grade in. The beauty of law irrespective of intended institution is that any subject is allowed/has its benefits and ultimately in order to ensure a place at a prestigious institution, it boils down to what grade you have.

Both Classics and French are good academic subjects so neither will hinder your chances. Beyond that it comes down to personal preference- Classics might be useful for Roman law whereas French could be helpful for international law modules. I, for instance, studied A Level French and elected to study Comparative Law as part of my law degree. Had I not done A Level French I couldn't have taken this option as it was a prerequisite due to reading French cases and French law! French might also give you a slight edge later on as having a language is obviously really good and a nice addition to any Training Contract/Pupillage application later on- I have certainly found that it has helped me.

Equally, if your other subjects are science and maths based then Classics might elevate your application by giving you a heavy essay-based subject which could be deemed more relevant to law. This isn't really that important though.

Consider the bigger picture- more can be gained ultimately for French, in my opinion but the main thing I would consider if I were you is 1) which you will do better in as that's all that is really relevant for applications and 2) beyond that which you enjoy most! Good luck!
Original post by Sheldor
But were the admitted because unis don't care about subjects or in spite of a lack of essay subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will find few if any universities that indicate a preference for essay subjects. That is something that applicants and those around applicants have invented as a requirement.

However, a university has few ways of telling candidates apart. Interview, personal statement, admission test and reference are the only ones that add to examination grades.

Some people will naturally have the skills to shine in those other elements in the admissions process. For others it won't come naturally. Arts-based A levels may help those people who lack them to acquire the necessary skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending