The Student Room Group

Are you closer to your mum or dad?

Scroll to see replies

ive a lot in common with ma dad but i go to ma mum to talk to more except wen i wanna complain bout ma medical stuff, i never go to ma mum

tough question man lol :rolleyes:

.....im probs more closer to ma mum cos i see her more but im still real close to ma dad
Original post by jamieTT
Because I said so :colonhash:

you do realise that there are people who are not close to either parents don't you? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
100% my mum.

When my parents divorced we moved to England from the Channel Islands (my dad stayed there) so distance probably plays a large part. However even before that my dad had serious emotional problems from his own childhood and had problems showing love. He has called me maybe 10x in 15yrs and most of those he was drunk.

He also works a lot (investment banking) and seems to place more value on earning money than family. On the plus side he has supported me financially.
to answer this thread, neither

my dad left before I was born and I didn't have contact with him until I was 18

my mum left me to my grandmother when I was 2 months old. didn't live with her until I was 12. she was also cruel and abusive.

closest thing to a parent I have is my gran. I speak to her everyday even though she lives in the other side of the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
I'm close to both of them in different ways.
Reply 45
Don't have a mum, so I'll say I'm 'closer' to my dad, in relative terms. I don't know exactly what you mean by being close. I respect him, but I'm terrified of him. He's completely responsible for making me what I am today and always providing me with everything. It's a debt I can never repay. But I wouldn't say I'm close to him. I try to keep my distance to avoid conflict, I'm terrified of him. But I have all the respect for him and I owe everything I have and everything I've achieved to him.
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Nether.

Why?
Original post by Stinkum
Don't have a mum, so I'll say I'm 'closer' to my dad, in relative terms. I don't know exactly what you mean by being close. I respect him, but I'm terrified of him. He's completely responsible for making me what I am today and always providing me with everything. It's a debt I can never repay. But I wouldn't say I'm close to him. I try to keep my distance to avoid conflict, I'm terrified of him. But I have all the respect for him and I owe everything I have and everything I've achieved to him.

Why are you terrified of him?

I'd say I'm marginally closer to my mum, just coz my dad's really quite so it can be hard to have a conversation with him. But I'm really close to both, which I'm really thankful for
Mum - ironically though, we get into more fights.
My mum! I love my dad loads too but my mum is extremely close to me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
Why are you terrified of him?

I'd say I'm marginally closer to my mum, just coz my dad's really quite so it can be hard to have a conversation with him. But I'm really close to both, which I'm really thankful for

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for him. In this life, God comes first, then it's my father, and that's it. He has done so much for me, sacrificed so much. Without him, I'd be on the streets. He raised me, taught me, financed my whole life every step of the way. But I'm filled with fear every time I'm around him or talk to him. Can't really say why on here. He's one hell of an authority figure, can't ever say no to him or disobey him.
Depends where they're standing
Closer to my Mum, literally can tell or talk to her about anything! <3
dad left when I was two just got in contact don't think we'll ever be close as step mum will always come first

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stinkum
Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for him. In this life, God comes first, then it's my father, and that's it. He has done so much for me, sacrificed so much. Without him, I'd be on the streets. He raised me, taught me, financed my whole life every step of the way. But I'm filled with fear every time I'm around him or talk to him. Can't really say why on here. He's one hell of an authority figure, can't ever say no to him or disobey him.

Ah I get you :smile:
Reply 54
Probably dad. My mum left me because of an accident and the health repercussions when I was 9 so I lived with my father for 11 years on my own.

Probably means I'm closer to him although I tell my mum more things. I find it hard to spend long periods of time with my mother because we are so different.
I get on with both of my parents but my dad works a lot so I don't see him as much as I'd like. I guess I'm slightly closer to my mum because I see her more, but my sense of humour is more like my dad's I think and we used to chat lots on dive trips and things. None of us are really more like one parent than the other so we get on with our parents pretty well. My relationship with both of them has changed a bit since I started uni, it's weird for them because I'm an adult now and I'm the oldest, so they're not used to having grown-up kids! It's good though, we talk more about things.
(edited 9 years ago)
both
I'm closer to my dad, but that might be because i don't live with him hhahah! It's just me, mum and sister at home and they drive me mad!!! :smile:
Reply 58
Mum
My mam, largely because I grew up with her and not with my dad.

Quick Reply

Latest