The Student Room Group

Just got into Mensa. Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Is the iq paper similar to gcse papers in its method of marking i.e. 'Find the next shape in this sequence. (4 IQ Marks)'?
Original post by JamesMartinez
MENSA isn't even as hard as people make it out to be, around 1/50 people have the ability to do, so it's hardly anything special.

It's effectively people who think they're smart paying a monthly subscription fee to be told they're smart, which you probably wouldn't if you were really smart.

:yep:

Probably the really smart people belong to a secret invitation-only club (CLEVA) that meets once a month to mock the sad, brainless, mentally undeveloped people in MENSA.
Original post by majmuh24
Does it actually have an affect on your life in any way (apart from going round saying "I got into Mensa" to everyone)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends what you mean by affect. Does it give you superiority over everyone else and boosted job prospects? No it doesn't. Some people put it on their CVs but I personally wouldn't. It does however give you opportunities to meet new people and participate in some fun events.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CJKay
Why did you feel the need to apply to Mensa?

I didn't - it was a present from one of my friends :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fullofsurprises
:yep:

Probably the really smart people belong to a secret invitation-only club (CLEVA) that meets once a month to mock the sad, brainless, mentally undeveloped people in MENSA.

:laugh:
The only smart ones at MENSA are the ones making the $$$.
A little piece of paper from MENSA doesn't prove ****, if you want to prove you're smart go get a good degree from a well respected university and go out and get a well-paid job. :tongue:
Original post by ILovePancakes
Why are you paying to be part of this club?

I was all set to join, but thought the fact that I'd have to pay was stupid.

I agree, the thought of paying is pretty ridiculous, but the opportunity presented itself and I wanted to say I was in it rather than decline

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats dude. Had you taken IQ tests previously?
Do you even lift?
Original post by Civil Dispute
I agree, the thought of paying is pretty ridiculous, but the opportunity presented itself and I wanted to say I was in it rather than decline

Posted from TSR Mobile

I declined :rofl:.
Original post by Flauta
Which test did you do and how did you score?

You get a nifty little magazine once a month with some interesting stories/debates in it

I sat the Cattell B (scored 160) and the Culture Fair III (scored 109). Quite a contrast I know haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tehforum
Do you even lift?

This guy knows.

Education is important, but big biceps are importanter. :laugh:
Original post by Dr. Django
Where can you go about doing such a test?

You book online and select a test centre. Think mine was booked a month before, at Sheffield Hallam university (which was on a Saturday during Easter so it was rather fun to get lost in a maze with no students around). There were 7 other people in the room with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only stupid people pay to be part of a clever club.
Original post by JamesMartinez
This guy knows.

Education is important, but big biceps are importanter. :laugh:

The main similarity is that brains need exercising too. That's why I take on the Sudoku in the Sun every morning. Recommend others do the same.
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Original post by brap man 420

Very well put, brap man 420.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
The main similarity is that brains need exercising too. That's why I take on the Sudoku in the Sun every morning. Recommend others do the same.

I would but I'm currently sat in my room 12 hours a day doing revision, so my brain is probably getting enough right now :tongue:
Original post by brap man 420

Just over £4 a month isn't that bad. My friend pays £6 a fortnight to do karate. It's not just about being in a club - activities are included in the fee and from what I've heard, there's some pretty exciting stuff to get involved in over the year. Only time will tell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cheeriosarenice
what books did you use to prepare?

None. It's a bit tricky to prepare for since it's more about problem solving. The only advice I can give in terms of prep would be to do online practice tests on Mensa's site since the questions are more or less the same.

On the second test, there's a 'synonyms' section, where you're required to tick the correct synonym to a word in the question, so I suppose just look at common words and remember any obscure synonyms.

Also, on the section that tells you to find the odd word out, it's nearly always the word (in the case of the paper I sat) that's a noun when the others are adjectives, or a conjunction when the others are verbs, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dire wolf
Is the iq paper similar to gcse papers in its method of marking i.e. 'Find the next shape in this sequence. (4 IQ Marks)'?

Pretty sure all questions are worth the same amount of 'IQ marks', just some are harder than others (typically as you progress through the sections). There's basically one paper with 4 sections (each with 20-25 questions), and a second with 6 sections (again, each with 20-25 questions), so it depends on the section/paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SirDigbyChicken
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

That depends: is it an African or European swallow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest