The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

To firm or not to firm?

To cut a long story short, I re-applied to Oxford this year and God knows why, Exeter - my 5th choice was the only school that accepted me. My options atm are to a)firm PPE at Exeter or b) go to uni in Germany for a year and apply to colleges (some Ivy League ones) in America (and maybe Cambridge). To make the decision as to which one to chose, I'd like some more info on what's it like to study PPE at Exeter and I'll be grateful for a reply :smile:
1) How's the workload for PPE? Personally, I love being busy and for me, the more stuff there is to do, the merrier!
2) Extra-curriculars? I'm really into MUN, debating and the such and I wanted to know if there are good opportunities at Exeter to get involved with those. Some of my friends who went to Exeter are the worst debators on Earth and so I'm worried that I may not be challenged enough at Exeter :frown: (Also, I'd like to discover new things but compared to the schools that rejected me, what Exeter has to offer seems rather superficial and not-so-serious.)
3) Will I be a total misfit because my idea of fun doesn't involve alcohol? I drink socially, but when I can, I tend to avoid it. The friends from above seem to be partying all the time, and I wanted to know if that's what Exeter students are generally like. (I know you can't stick the same label on everyone, but you can always generalise to give a general impression, right?)
4) Accomodation? Is it guaranteed for all three years? I'm confused by what it says on the uni's website...
5) Career prospects? I see myself going into academia/law one day, and I'd like to do my masters at Oxbridge or an American equivalent. Exeter isn't exactly the best of schools, so would firming it put an end to my ambitions?
6) Year abroad? I know some schools like Warwick let you do a year abroad and still complete your degree in 3 years. Exeter doesn't seem to allow that, but is there any way to 'skip' the rule ie. do a year abroad but still finish in three years?
7) On-campus jobs? Again, I want to a)be busy and b) have money :P so getting a job on campus would be great. Are there many possibilities to do so?

I know this is a lot, but any and all advice will be appreciated :smile:
Out of curiosity what other universities did you apply to?

Seriously Exeter is a great university and you should be proud of getting a place there, especially for a subject such as PPE.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people at Exeter will be very bright and you having nothing to worry about there. There will also be a lot of people who don't like to drink themselves to death too :L You'll get there and you'll find people who have similar interest with you :smile:

Accommodation wise, I don't know any university (bar Oxbridge) that offers 3 year guaranteed accommodation.

I think you should go for it. Have you visited the university. If so what vibe did you get from it. If not then I suggest you go as soon as possible.

Anyway good luck with your decision. I'm sure that Oxford and Cambridge will give you a place for a masters as long as you aim to get a first :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending