The Student Room Group

Did British politicians ever "approve" Eastern European countries joining EU?

Think it was back in 2003 (or 2004) when approximately 10 Eastern European countries joined the EU. I am curious as to whether, at the time, UK politicians actually gave this a green-light specifically or was it brought in via the back door?

I find it hard to believe that British politicians would have thought it a smart idea to open our borders up to the poorest people in Europe.

Could somebody shed some light as to what happened?

Scroll to see replies

Every country that joins the EU requires approval of all member states.
Reply 2
Original post by DorianGrayism
Every country that joins the EU requires approval of all member states.

So was it MEPs or MPs who approved allowing dirt-poor countries to join an institution which has free movement of Labour (i.e. an absolutely idiotic idea)?
British Politicians have been working against the UK for years. Didn't you hear Labour admit they let in mass amounts of people for votes and to change the UK's racial and cultural makeup? Your government has been involved in treason for many years. Mind boggling how you fail to see this now.
Reply 4
Original post by CryptoidAlien
British Politicians have been working against the UK for years. Didn't you hear Labour admit they let in mass amounts of people for votes and to change the UK's racial and cultural makeup? Your government has been involved in treason for many years. Mind boggling how you fail to see this now.

I did know about that. Shame most Labour supporters don't.
Original post by billydisco
I did know about that. Shame most Labour supporters don't.

Some articles on the issue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10445585/Labour-made-a-spectacular-mistake-on-immigration-admits-Jack-Straw.html
Think it was back in 2003 (or 2004) when approximately 10 Eastern European countries joined the EU. I am curious as to whether, at the time, UK politicians actually gave this a green-light specifically or was it brought in via the back door?

I find it hard to believe that British politicians would have thought it a smart idea to open our borders up to the poorest people in Europe.

Could somebody shed some light as to what happened?

This should provide some help:

http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/policy/conditions-membership/index_en.htm

The EU operates comprehensive approval procedures that ensure new members are admitted only when they can demonstrate they will be able to play their part fully as members, namely by:

complying with all the EU's standards and rules

having the consent of the EU institutions and EU member states

having the consent of their citizens as expressed through approval in their national parliament or by referendum.

Among the EU institutions includes the European Parliament (where MEPs come in), the European Council (where heads of state come in) and the Council of the European Union (where national ministers come in).

However, we must remember that the EU technically didn't exist back in 2004, so whether or not these conditions applied when the Treaty of Accession (2003) was signed is beyond me. Although Croatia's entry to the EU should have met the conditions above (it joined in 2011).

Given how voting in the EU works, it is possible that UK politicians (mainly our ministers and MEPs) voted to reject the entry of these countries. Whether or not they did this is beyond me. You should try and check the EUs archives; they should have that information.
Reply 7
Yes, the Major and Blair governments both supported the expansion of the European Union.

Currently, the UK actually supports Turkey joining.
Reply 8
I think billydisco would be surprised how much the EU is under the control of the Member States and not a supranational conspiracy as he thinks it is...
Reply 9
Original post by Rakas21
Yes, the Major and Blair governments both supported the expansion of the European Union.

I have as much problem with Turkey joining as I do with Ukraine joining, I don't see why being a muslim country with browner people would be a problem.
Original post by Rakas21

Ridiculous idea.
Reply 11
Original post by brap man 420
Ridiculous idea.

Must admit, i'm not entirely comfortable allowing a Muslim country in.

That said, the EU has global ambition.
Reply 12
Yes, they did. Every member state had a veto on accession issues (which is why Turkey won't get in).

The Blair government supported the expansion, as did 14 other democratically elected governments. So whatever your views on the wisdom of that decision (it's just a wild guess, but I think you might disapprove?), you can't deny that it was taken by a government with a democratic mandate to do so.
I don't mind free movement, I just don't know why it was done with poorer countries.

However, invest in them? Hell yes.
The people of Europe will never accept turkey into the eu. No one wants a non European muslim country joining the club and tightly so
yes
/thread
Reply 16
Original post by crayz
I have as much problem with Turkey joining as I do with Ukraine joining, I don't see why being a muslim country with browner people would be a problem.

Oh so that thing known as Islamic terrorism doesn't ring any bells?
Reply 17
Original post by gladders
I think billydisco would be surprised how much the EU is under the control of the Member States and not a supranational conspiracy as he thinks it is...

No- the Governments of the member states.

40% of the UK votes Labour simply because they hated a woman from the 80s. They give little regard as to whether Labour are promoting the idea of a European superstate.
Reply 18
Oh so that thing known as Islamic terrorism doesn't ring any bells?

Probably more terrorists in Britain than in Turkey. Plus I want to leave the EU.
Reply 19
Original post by Snagprophet
I don't mind free movement, I just don't know why it was done with poorer countries.

However, invest in them? Hell yes.

Agree with your first statement- but I dont see why the UK should divert it's wealth to Eastern Europe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending