The Student Room Group

Being a doctor with a wrist tattoo.

(apologies if this isn't in the correct forum!)

Hi there.

I've applied for medicine this year, and if I get the right grades I should be going to medical school this september.

I was just asking for a bit of advice regarding doctors & tattoos.

I'm seriously considering getting a very small tattoo on the inside of my left wrist (about 1cm x 1cm size) in the shape of a hollow triangle. It would easily be covered up by a watch, but during ward rounds with the bare below the elbow rule it wouldn't be covered up. Would it be a problem for me as a medical student/doctor, or would it be allowed? What is the normal consensus regarding doctors with tattoos?

Many thanks in advance!
Reply 1
You should become like Michael Schofield from Prison Break.
Most likely you'll just have to wear long sleeve shirts when dealing with patients aside from that...
Original post by Ferris Bueller
(apologies if this isn't in the correct forum!)

Hi there.

I've applied for medicine this year, and if I get the right grades I should be going to medical school this september.

I was just asking for a bit of advice regarding doctors & tattoos.

I'm seriously considering getting a very small tattoo on the inside of my left wrist (about 1cm x 1cm size) in the shape of a hollow triangle. It would easily be covered up by a watch, but during ward rounds with the bare below the elbow rule it wouldn't be covered up. Would it be a problem for me as a medical student/doctor, or would it be allowed? What is the normal consensus regarding doctors with tattoos?

Many thanks in advance!

I don't think it would matter, a tiny one.
Original post by Stinkum
You should become like Michael Schofield from Prison Break.

Had to google that, I think I'm good with my triangle thanks :tongue:

Original post by radiopred
Most likely you'll just have to wear long sleeve shirts when dealing with patients aside from that...

With the bare below the elbow rule in hospitals, sleeves will always have to be pushed down to the elbow so that wouldn't work

Original post by hellodave5
I don't think it would matter, a tiny one.

Well that's what I thought but you can never be too careful these days!
Reply 5
Original post by Ferris Bueller
Had to google that, I think I'm good with my triangle thanks :tongue:

Haha :smile:

Seriously though, you should check with your medical school to find out exactly what their policy is. You might also want to check the policy for NHS hospitals regarding tattoos, that's the best way to find out for sure.
Reply 6
It's allowed, and I know doctors who do have forearm tattoos, but you will get some older folk (staff and patients) who disapprove. In general I'd suggest having it somewhere less visible but if you're dead set on the wrist it won't stop you getting into medical school.
Reply 7
lol doesn't matter mate, nor do you have to cover it up
I would seriously question any policy which would bar you from studying medicine on the basis of a small non offensive tattoo. I'd be inclined to refer the admissions to psychiatric assessment.
Reply 9
It's extreme I know but a friend was kicked out of theatre by a surgeon who didn't approve of her tattoo of a musical note! Whilst his behaviour was discriminatory and out of order she would have had to file an official complaint etc. had she wanted to stand up for herself. Therefore whilst it might seem wrong that anyone can be disapproving because of a tattoo why would you put yourself in that potential situation unnecessarily. Also bear in mind a LOT of the patients you come into contact with will be elderly and will also form an opinion about the tattoo on your wrist, why give anyone a reason to doubt their confidence in you? Again I know as a younger generation we think this laughable, but you have to see the world through their eyes. I wouldn't do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My GP has a star tattoo on both wrists and has a small Pacman behind her ear and she doesn't do anything to cover them up. Every time I have saw her, her hair is always up and she wears sleeveless or short sleeve shirts so you can see her tattoos clearly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending