The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

American Student Maybe Attending Lancaster In 2014 - Questions!

Hello!

I have received an offer to attend Lancaster University for its Economics program for this upcoming fall.

I am an American Student, although I have lived in London, and am a European citizen.

Unlike many other Americans, I understand the British culture. Basically, I wouldn't be totally out of the loop if I go to Lancaster.

However, I do have a pair of questions, before committing to the University.

1) Do people in Lancaster/Northern England look down upon Americans? I wouldn't be walking around waving an American flag or anything, but I do carry my accent. This is my only major concern about going there.

2) Do girls feel more or less attracted to American accents? (Not a part of my decision, but always good to know)

3) I understand that Lancaster is by no means a London or a Manchester, but in terms of shops, bars, and restaurants, how does it stack up?

4) As a Freshman, would I be at a disadvantage if I lived in Lancaster rather than on campus?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Okay, so I'm not in uni but I have lived in Lancaster for 16 years (my whole life). It's very quiet and remote. No one is going to look down on you or treat you differently cos your American. However the town is quite far from the uni but there are coffee shops and bars and pubs clubs etc. on the campus for other uni questions I can't answer. It's quite boring TBH but it's only an hour train ride away from manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by SoFlo561
Hello!

I have received an offer to attend Lancaster University for its Economics program for this upcoming fall.

I am an American Student, although I have lived in London, and am a European citizen.

Unlike many other Americans, I understand the British culture. Basically, I wouldn't be totally out of the loop if I go to Lancaster.

However, I do have a pair of questions, before committing to the University.

1) Do people in Lancaster/Northern England look down upon Americans? I wouldn't be walking around waving an American flag or anything, but I do carry my accent. This is my only major concern about going there.

2) Do girls feel more or less attracted to American accents? (Not a part of my decision, but always good to know)

3) I understand that Lancaster is by no means a London or a Manchester, but in terms of shops, bars, and restaurants, how does it stack up?

4) As a Freshman, would I be at a disadvantage if I lived in Lancaster rather than on campus?

Thanks in advance!

1) No - we've got many people from many different nationalities on campus and we're welcoming of all of them :smile:

2) No idea - every girl is different (plus I'm a guy and I'm straight, so my opinion is invalid)

3) Not too well against London and Manchester, it's only a small city so it's very limited in what it can offer. It's still got a good range of shops though, and if you want a big spending spree then go to Manchester or Liverpool since they're both quite close.

4) Maybe a bit during Freshers Week, and you'd have to pay out £300 for a bus pass to campus and back if you were thinking about finances (plus you'd have to wake up earlier for your 9am lectures). But then it can be cheaper and you'll be closer to all the bars off-campus too. It's all about weighing up what you want :smile:

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions :smile:
Reply 3
1. Tbh the reputation Britian has for looking down on Americans isn't really apparent (especially in Lancaster) . I've never met anyone who doesn't like Americans. I've had plenty of Americans in my lectures. The university is full of people of different cultures and nationalities, everyone gets on well and are very friendly.

2. Lots of girls find accents that aren't British exotic and therefore desirable. Every girl is different though.

3. Lancaster has all the shops you would need for day to day life. However it is pretty tiny, it has quite a few clubs for such a small place though. And as someone previously said, Manchester/Liverpool/York and even London are only 1/3 hours away.

4.First years normally live on campus, so they can get use to the campus/ lifestyle without the hassle of commuting. Freshers would be more complicated and less fun as well. But town accommodation is cheaper, even after having to buy a £300 bus pass.

If you go to Lancaster have you thought about what you would do for your minor?
Reply 4
Thanks for the responses!

If I go to Lancaster, I wish to minor in either History or International Relations.

My acceptance to Lancaster is conditional, and one of the conditions - a GPA condition - is mathematically impossible for me to achieve. But, I'm still waiting to hear back from them about changing that condition.

If I go to Lancaster, I wish to minor in either History or International Relations.

My acceptance to Lancaster is conditional, and one of the conditions - a GPA condition - is mathematically impossible for me to achieve. But, I'm still waiting to hear back from them about changing that condition.

They're sometimes flexible with the offer though, so if you do get a slightly different grade that's lower than your offer you might still get accepted :smile:
Reply 6

Ah what are they asking for?
I'm pretty surprised they are asking for GPA, they normally ask for AP grades or SAT subjects.
Lancaster is pretty flexible though, I know lots of people who didn't meet there conditions and still got in. GPA is a bit different to dropping a grade or two though.

I hope you get it sorted. Good luck.
Reply 7
Original post by AJCSShp
Ah what are they asking for?
I'm pretty surprised they are asking for GPA, they normally ask for AP grades or SAT subjects.
Lancaster is pretty flexible though, I know lots of people who didn't meet there conditions and still got in. GPA is a bit different to dropping a grade or two though.

I hope you get it sorted. Good luck.

I got a reply back from them today. The new conditions are a 3.3 GPA and a 5,5,4 (bumped up from 5,4,4) on the AP Exams.

GPA will be obtained, and I will get at least one 5. I just have to study really hard to get that second 5!
Reply 8
I got a reply back from them today. The new conditions are a 3.3 GPA and a 5,5,4 (bumped up from 5,4,4) on the AP Exams.

GPA will be obtained, and I will get at least one 5. I just have to study really hard to get that second 5!

Ah 3.3 GPA sounds pretty achievable. 5,5,4 is harsh, from what I know about AP exams is that 5's are hard to achieve, what subjects are you doing them in? I assume one will be micro/macro economics or maths.

I'm glad they fixed your GPA offer for you. Good luck with your AP exams.
Reply 9
I already have a 3.3, so that's no problem.

My AP's are Psychology, Statistics, US Government & Politics, and Macroeconomics.

Stats and Gov are almost surely 5's. Psych is hovering in the 4-5 range, while Macro will probably be a 4. It will be hard nonetheless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending