The Student Room Group

Is it possible to take a year out of Uni and come back?

I just found out about this cool teaching programme in Asia that only requires a 2 year degree, is it possible to defer Uni after second year and then come back the following year?
Yes, you can generally defer for a year part way through your degree. It does depend on your course and uni though, so I recommend chatting with your advisor.
Original post by baconwrappedeggs
I just found out about this cool teaching programme in Asia that only requires a 2 year degree, is it possible to defer Uni after second year and then come back the following year?

Most likely. You'll have to postpone your studies. Thing is I'm not sure how reluctant the university may be to let you do that. If you wanted to drop out of university, they may offer to postpone the studies for a year. However I'm not sure how they'd feel about you doing that just so you can go travelling. I suppose you can argue that it is like a work placement perhaps, but I'm not sure if they'd see it that way.

Why don't you just wait until you finish your degree?

First of all, final year (I assume it is third=final for you) is the hardest year (naturally). Taking a break for a year to travel, whether you are 'teaching' or not is going to seriously disrupt the rhythm of your studies. You don't want to spend a month of final year breaking yourself back into full time education, that is what first semester of first year is for and that is why it isn't that hard.

Another thing is some employers will want to know why you've taken 4yrs to get a BSc/BA (5 for MSci) and I'm not sure how they'd feel about a potential employee who just dropped everything and took off for a whole year.

You can do those teaching programmes over the summer as well for a few months, why not just do that? Or wait until you get the degree and then go.

If you are studying anything science related I'd strongly recommend not taking the year long break, you'd be surprised at how fast you'll for get equations, key steps in long winded calculations etc that may currently be like second nature to you.
Original post by baconwrappedeggs

I think you've misunderstood the job spec- they say they will accept degrees that only take 2 years but you won't have one after 2 years, only 3. And you can defer your studies but you can't get student finance or JSA in your year off although you can still work here.

Quick Reply

Latest