The Student Room Group

Jobless must sign on every day. Govt to take away benefits if they do not comply

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
So you honestly believe that somebody unemployed for 3 years has been putting their all into it but has not been able to get even a job in a local pub?

Depending where they live, that is a very real possibility.

A claimant who lives in a small rural village like I used to (which has a bus service once a week to the nearest town) is not going to be able to find a job as easily as an equivalent-qualified claimant who lives in London.
Original post by scrotgrot
more money, but the Tories will pay any price to hasten the arrival of the slave labour economy.

It may cost more than it saves - much like the bedroom tax -
but if they win the votes of C1/C2 voters in marginal constituencies with this kind of rhetoric it is money well spent. Take the benefit cap for instance - it is more popular with the working poor than the middle classes.
Original post by Rakas21
It's interesting that people often mention travel costs.

Well of course people are going to mention travel costs, if the money isn't reimbursed (which I'm guessing it wouldn't be as it would cost extra tens of £millions) claimants would be spending almost half their JSA on traveling to and from the job centre, leaving them just £35 per week to buy all of their food and all of their pay bills. Living on £35 per week simply isn't feasible, so the ramifications of this policy boil down to people being thrown out on to the street and relying on (already overstretched) food banks, stealing or starving to death.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
There aren't jobs..

There are jobs in West Yorkshire even if menial. When I've wanted part time work I've always got it relatively quickly (or at least interviews anyway) and i'm nothing special academically. If your confident, friendly and have C grades at GCSE then you'll only get my sympathy if your living in rurality because major urban areas do have jobs even if they are less than ideal.
Original post by askew116
Depending where they live, that is a very real possibility.

A claimant who lives in a small rural village like I used to (which has a bus service once a week to the nearest town) is not going to be able to find a job as easily as an equivalent-qualified claimant who lives in London.

Oh i agree in that instance but i've not seen any location specific evidence yet with regards to these 200,000.

Original post by Ziggy Sawdust
Well of course people are going to mention travel costs, if the money isn't reimbursed (which I'm guessing it wouldn't be as it would cost extra tens of £millions) claimants would be spending almost half their JSA on traveling to and from the job centre, leaving them just £35 per week to buy all of their food and all of their pay bills. Living on £35 per week simply isn't feasible, so the ramifications of this policy boil down to people being thrown out on to the street and relying on (already overstretched) food banks, stealing or starving to death.

JSA is £70 and weekly bus passes are around £20.
Original post by Rakas21
Normally i'd agree, but these are people claiming JSA for 3 years or more without a single month of employment. Unless you live in rurality there's no excuse for that (in which case you should arguably find a way to move).

It is being implemented (won't work 100% but will to some degree).

And in the 3 years of unemployment i'm sure they will have access to such schemes.

Not true they seem to pick certain people to do it, myself as someone who had always worked and was my first and only spell of unemployment was put on the course. I know many people who have never worked in their adult lives (in the same area) and they have never been sent on such courses.
Original post by Rakas21
There are jobs in West Yorkshire even if menial. When I've wanted part time work I've always got it relatively quickly (or at least interviews anyway) and i'm nothing special academically. If your confident, friendly and have C grades at GCSE then you'll only get my sympathy if your living in rurality because major urban areas do have jobs even if they are less than ideal.

It doesn't work like that. There are more people that are unemployed than there are jobs available, also there are certain jobs unsuitable for certain people, and certain people are discriminated against.
Original post by Rakas21
Oh i agree in that instance but i've not seen any location specific evidence yet with regards to these 200,000.

The price of a bus pass is dependent on where you live and the distance between your home and the job centre. For many claimants the cost of weekly travel to and from the job centre on a daily basis would be far higher than £20.
Original post by Rakas21
There are jobs

There are 2.3m or there abouts looking at 500,000 jobs. The reality is not everyone can have one and the difficult public policy question is what do we do with everyone else? Of course the longer you are out of the labour market the more difficult it is to get a job.
Original post by Georgie_M
Not true they seem to pick certain people to do it, myself as someone who had always worked and was my first and only spell of unemployment was put on the course. I know many people who have never worked in their adult lives (in the same area) and they have never been sent on such courses.

I expect that's more related to the customer service people receive. I found that when i first went on JSA (2 short spells) and did nothing but produce a list of jobs applied for that it was a quick 'in' and 'out'. When i used my initiative however and enquired about opportunities they seemed much happier to deal with me the following weeks and discuss various options before sending me to A4e (largely pointless but did get some good CV design advice).

To be fair though i could never work in a job center, there are so many failures that it would be soul crushing as a job even if some people do have a lot of promise.
Original post by arson_fire
Some amount of strawmanning going on in this thread! The changes only apply to people who have been unemployed for at least 3 years. It`s NOT every JSA claimant! Whether it`s any good or not is a different matter, but why let the facts get in the way of a rant................

The independent article is incorrect it affects those who have been unemployed for 2years plus.
Original post by arson_fire
I haven`t read the independent article, but the changes affects those who have been on the Work Programme for more than 2 years. To get access to this you must be unemployed for a minimum of 12 months.

Yes you are correct apologies :smile:
Reply 52
I don't know why the government is bothering with all of this nonsense when there's a very simple and obvious solution to this problem. They should simply stop providing funds to unemployed people!!! I don't understand why they don't simply do that! If you're able to work but can't be bothered to get a job, why on earth should the government fund your unemployment? Of course, I'm only talking about people who are fit and able to work.

Money must be earned, it shouldn't just be given away. If you can't be bothered to work, face the consequences and live in poverty. Seriously, what on this godforsaken earth is the reason behind providing financial support to the unemployed?
Even though the number of unemployed is about 5 times greater than the number of job vacancies, we're still blaming the unemployed? That makes perfect sense.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Even though the number of unemployed is about 5 times greater than the number of job vacancies, we're still blaming the unemployed? That makes perfect sense.

Spot on. But the general public being the thick useless lot they've always been, need a scapegoat.

Original post by Georgie_M
While decreasing the ability to do that?

I have no problem with initiatives which work, this however clearly would not and will also never be implemented.

I was unemployed and went on a work course after 6 months it was great and had something like an 80% success rate. You had to go in 9-5 5days a week for 2weeks. They gave practical advice for cvs/ personal statements/applications, provided internet access stamps and envelopes for applying. I think this sort of thing should be used more.

I was forced onto a similar course after 6 months, mine was only 1 week and only 9-3 and I found it to be useless because I'd got all of that help from the university careers service and from a module in my degree anyway. They also did a maths and English assessment and I got full marks because I was only 6 months out of university, so that was a wasted assessment as well. The tutor on the course even told me to tell the job centre not to send me on any more college courses unless they were for a very specific thing that I didn't already have (hairdressing or something like that), because she couldn't teach me anything I didn't already know, and I was just wasting a place (and the money involved as well) by being there. The job centre also had to pay for my bus all week (£19) because I couldn't walk that far with a knee injury so it cost that as well. And it made me less effective at job searching because I couldn't get my dad to drop me off in a nearby town to go hand out CVs or sit in my the place where I volunteer which was a good atmosphere for job seeking - quiet but not too much, other job seekers sharing vacancies with you that they can't do but you might be able to.

I think they would probably be good for people that need them, but they shouldn't be compulsory because for some people they are at best useless, and at worst they are a waste of precious time and money.
Original post by Rakas21

Unless you're under 25. Mine is £19.50 in my area, but I was getting £56.
Original post by minimarshmallow
I was forced onto a similar course after 6 months, mine was only 1 week and only 9-3 and I found it to be useless because I'd got all of that help from the university careers service and from a module in my degree anyway. They also did a maths and English assessment and I got full marks because I was only 6 months out of university, so that was a wasted assessment as well. The tutor on the course even told me to tell the job centre not to send me on any more college courses unless they were for a very specific thing that I didn't already have (hairdressing or something like that), because she couldn't teach me anything I didn't already know, and I was just wasting a place (and the money involved as well) by being there. The job centre also had to pay for my bus all week (£19) because I couldn't walk that far with a knee injury so it cost that as well. And it made me less effective at job searching because I couldn't get my dad to drop me off in a nearby town to go hand out CVs or sit in my the place where I volunteer which was a good atmosphere for job seeking - quiet but not too much, other job seekers sharing vacancies with you that they can't do but you might be able to.

I think they would probably be good for people that need them, but they shouldn't be compulsory because for some people they are at best useless, and at worst they are a waste of precious time and money.

To be honest I could not be bothered on the original post to go through the ins and outs of it. Your course sounds different , although equally on mine advice about CVs etc wasn't particularly useful and the course leader clearly had little training or knowledge. However it was successful because they made you send out over 100 speculative CVs a week as well as apply for things online. This method did work and achieved roughly a 5% interview rate for everyone. Although they were accommodating to a young man who wanted to get in to sales it was more targeted at getting you in to any job which I agree is not right for everyone.

However during my second week they would not allow me to leave a couple of hours early to prepare for an interview ( shower and change etc.) they said I would be sanctioned if I left and therefore I missed the interview.
Original post by minimarshmallow
And it made me less effective at job searching because I couldn't get my dad to drop me off in a nearby town to go hand out CVs or sit in my the place where I volunteer which was a good atmosphere for job seeking - quiet but not too much, other job seekers sharing vacancies with you that they can't do but you might be able to.

Out of interest did your course not actually make you apply for jobs then ? If not then of course it is useless.
I think it is a step in the right direction. However this is just one of the many benefits that needs to be tackled, there are plenty more such as those given out to single mothers with 10 kids for example that should be address too as that clearly is abuse of the welfare system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending