The Student Room Group

Jobless must sign on every day. Govt to take away benefits if they do not comply

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Yes, I've walked from Ormskirk to Skelmersdale, not something I'd ever be inclined to do again. Also got the bus from Ormskirk to Wigan, possibly the most soul destroying journey it is possible to make :frown:

I work in Old Skelmersdale, luckily in the area that means my bus journey doesn't include almost all of the old town!
Reply 81
Original post by the bear
:naughty: my contributions to TSR are pro bono

:rofl:

Then how do you fit it all in? :eek:
Original post by n00
Then how do you fit it all in? :eek:

:sexface:

as the bishop said to the actress...

:rofl:
This is utterly ridiculous, it's only going to lose them votes... It's disrespectful to the charities - the whole point of volunteering is because you WANT to give your time and effort to a cause that is important to you. It's unfeasible, given the cost of travelling if you happen to live far from the Job Centre - it would cost me almost £5 to get there and back home again - and some people simply won't bother. Then there will be more homeless people needing help from charities who overstretched and staffed by people who may not want to be there, which may mean they won't do their job properly... If this is implemented, it won't end well.

Original post by Rakas21
So you honestly believe that somebody unemployed for 3 years has been putting their all into it but has not been able to get even a job in a local pub?

Sadly, yes; it took me two and a half years of searching to finally get a job, and that was only after I'd been volunteering at a charity shop (that meant something to me) for around six months. No matter how hard you try, if there aren't any jobs you can travel to, or there is someone else who applies who is better suited to the job, or simply someone younger than you, then yes, you are going to be unemployed for quite a while. It's a sad state of affairs, but it's true.
Reply 84
It's legally a massive grey area anyway; the government relies on the fact that FTT's will shield them from precedent in the case of the few people who do have the guts to act.
tbh it is good that they have a regular structure to their lives. i have to get up every day to earn my living; i could get more if i was on benefits.

Then get a new job, obviously you're on below minimum wage.
Original post by JamesyC
Then get a new job, obviously you're on below minimum wage.

money isn't everything you know.
money isn't everything you know.

It is not at all. When I was on the dole I volunteered in some forest park one summer. Picking weeds and throwing fish into a pond and got a bbq after the day a few times. Better than any job I've had since not being on the dole :frown:
This is ridiculous
Original post by cah846
This is utterly ridiculous, it's only going to lose them votes...

Workfare policies are actually pretty popular according to this polling http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/publications/category/item/work-fair

Pilot studies have cast a lot of doubt as to whether £300m on another workfare scheme is a good use of public money but voters do not care much for evidenced based policy when it comes to welfare. Voters tend to want "tough" policies with scant regard for their effectiveness.
(edited 9 years ago)
First morally dubious schemes which encourage dirty business practices, disincentive job creation and act as punishment for the vulnerable over an ideology that demonises them and now daily registration?

Labour as punishment for a dodgey business elite and daily registration with punishment for not participating.

I really hate to say it but the Nazis did this sort of thing to the Jews/other undesirables in the early days of their rule.

Treating 'the poor' as 'the filth' is really sick and worrying as it would be in regards to specific ethnicities.
(edited 9 years ago)
you do all this stuff anyway, then you still get a sanction on your money, so whats the point.
may as well just go for a sanction straight away, ant tell em ile sign on every fortnight.
claiming hardship allowance is better than JSA, and you dont get all the hassle.

I was told i had do 2 years on the mandatory work programme, i turned up everyday, and went the jobcentre everday, used universal jobmatch everyday, went sign on, on the monday, and they told me my money has been sanctioned for 3 months, no money at all, but i still have go work programme everyday, even tho i got no money. no gas, no electric on.
they told me to use a food bank for food, and use a neighbors house for cooking.
go to the library for a warm or get in bed early.
swimming baths for a bath. etc.

when on hardship payment, just tell em you haven't filled in your jobsearch, you havent looked for a job, and don't want a job.
they sign you and thats it.
Stupid just plain stupid and I highly doubt it goes through.
Original post by Ash Ketchum
Stupid just plain stupid and I highly doubt it goes through.

It's all ready gone through. Those on UC or just leaving the WP1 have to sign on everyday and stay for 1 hour or so job search. They must apply for at least one job everyday. Here in Wigan it started this week.
Reply 94
Seems like everyone has missed this line.

"The latest rules apply to the 200,000 or so toughest cases the one in 30 claimants who has been out of work for three years or more."

What I would say though is that when I go into the job center there are always people that... well... are clearly unemployable, i'm talking borderline disabled, borderline elderly or obese, not to mention those with depression (not something you can see on the surface). 3 years might seem like a reasonable amount of time to find a job but for some people it just isn't going to happen. These people shouldn't be punished, the lack of empathy is astonishing sometimes.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending