The Student Room Group

I am amazed at how lax so many students are over their very expensive possessions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurboCretin
You'd be very surprised. I've seen groups of friends occupying a whole table to leave in unison to go for lunch somewhere, leaving all their laptops, iPads and everything else.

Yeah I've seen the same, never understand it. Even when I'm on a train which isn't stopping anytime soon, I always put my laptop and phone in my bag and bring it to the toilet with me. People complain I'm slightly too protective and cautious of my possessions, but I've never once lost anything expensive - and usually the people complaining are careless and lose/have expensive things stolen :rolleyes:
Reply 61
Canadians don't lock their doors! Anyone moronic enough to steal a laptop in a uni library probably can't even get into the library in the first place.
Most university libraries have cameras and given you need a student id to come inside not many students would risk getting thrown out of uni by stealing a relatively worthless piece of tech.
Reply 63
When I was at uni (manchester), quite a few people would just leave laptops around in the library unattended that includes me. I just kind of trusted nobody would steal it and nobody did. Plus there's security cameras in a library :wink:
Having said that once I did leave a brand new pen drive in a computer - someone took that.
Original post by Precious Illusions
Yeah I've seen the same, never understand it. Even when I'm on a train which isn't stopping anytime soon, I always put my laptop and phone in my bag and bring it to the toilet with me. People complain I'm slightly too protective and cautious of my possessions, but I've never once lost anything expensive - and usually the people complaining are careless and lose/have expensive things stolen :rolleyes:

I don't think there's such a thing as being too cautious with your most expensive possessions. As a generation, we've essentially normalised the idea of losing/breaking your phone on a night out. I'm sure the generation above would not understand the idea of taking a £500 piece of technology out on a night out and routinely exposing it to the risk of loss, theft or destruction.

In public spaces, I generally operate on the assumption that valuable possessions are at risk of being stolen unless directly within my line of sight. I've never had anything valuable stolen from me.
Reply 65
Original post by Wattsy
Anyone moronic enough to steal a laptop in a uni library probably can't even get into the library in the first place.

Simply not true.

I remember reading some crime stats and many shoplifters/thieves etc were employed middleclass people. The assumption that students are to clever or well-off to be tempted into theft is wrong.
Reply 66
Original post by miser
Who says that by leaving something unattended they're not taking responsibility for their own possessions? Either they have a different conception of the risk involved in leaving items unattended, or they're comfortable with taking on that risk - neither of which imply irresponsibility.

Let's get one thing straight: I certainly wouldn't blame the victim outright; I would, however, have less sympathy for someone losing their property in a in a situation such as that rather than say—a mugging. We are perhaps arguing semantics, however. The basis of your argument is perception. I'd say it's irresponsible to leave your belongings in an area in which there's a probability (however small) of it getting stolen.
Original post by TurboCretin
I don't think there's such a thing as being too cautious with your most expensive possessions. As a generation, we've essentially normalised the idea of losing/breaking your phone on a night out. I'm sure the generation above would not understand the idea of taking a £500 piece of technology out on a night out and routinely exposing it to the risk of loss, theft or destruction.

In public spaces, I generally operate on the assumption that valuable possessions are at risk of being stolen unless directly within my line of sight. I've never had anything valuable stolen from me.

100% agree. In my early teens, a lot of my friends were of the mindset that if they lost/broke their phone then their parents would buy them a new one - I knew my Dad wouldn't, plus he was kind enough to have bought/paid for my contract etc anyway so no way was I willing to lose it. Even during PE etc I'd shove it in my sock to avoid it being stolen. If I ever go clubbing then I leave my iPhone at home and just take my cheap old Nokia phone. I think it's the best way to be tbh.
Reply 68
Original post by Caedus
Let's get one thing straight: I certainly wouldn't blame the victim outright; I would, however, have less sympathy for someone losing their property in a in a situation such as that rather than say—a mugging. We are perhaps arguing semantics, however. The basis of your argument is perception. I'd say it's irresponsible to leave your belongings in an area in which there's a probability (however small) of it getting stolen.

I'm not following your reasoning as to why you find it irresponsible. If they are comfortable with their assessment of the risk involved then in what way are they behaving irresponsibly? And why do you have less sympathy for them?
Reply 69
Original post by miser
I'm not following your reasoning as to why you find it irresponsible. If they are comfortable with their assessment of the risk involved then in what way are they behaving irresponsibly?

Once again, you argue perception. If there is someone out there who really is comfortable with the risk, and takes responsibility thereby—I haven't a problem. Most people, however, seem not to accept responsibility when, for instance: their property gets stolen. Therein lies my argument.
Original post by Bassetts
It is inevitable, you're right. If you don't want it stolen, you should be more careful.

As a general rule, I find it's girls who are the most lax and careless about their expensive possessions. It's like they literally have no concept of security. I sometimes overhear conversations in the library of people who have lost their debit card and phone on a night out and strangely, it's always a girl who is saying this.

Girls' clothes don't generally have pockets. That's why.
I think there's a difference between leaving your laptop open, making sure that there's nothing small and valuable which can be easily pocketed (phone, wallet, etc) visible to go to the toilet or to get a book, and leaving your laptop open with expensive headphones and phone on top of it.
(I did see that last time I was in the library.... as the guy was going for a smoke I took the conclusion that he had more money than sense tbh)
Reply 72
Original post by Caedus
Once again, you argue perception. If there is someone out there who really is comfortable with the risk, and takes responsibility thereby—I haven't a problem. Most people, however, seem not to accept responsibility when, for instance: their property gets stolen. Therein lies my argument.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't seem to be in line with your previous statements (e.g., "I'd say it's irresponsible to leave your belongings in an area in which there's a probability (however small) of it getting stolen.") I'm now reading you as saying you only have a problem with people who don't accept responsibility when their property gets stolen, i.e., that you can leave your belongings unattended responsibly. But even saying this, accept responsibility for what? For being a victim of crime?

I'm also still not following your reasoning as to why you find it generally irresponsible. You say, "Most people, however, seem not to accept responsibility when, for instance: their property gets stolen." - what exactly do you mean by that?

And you re-iterated it, but I'm not sure what you mean by saying I argue 'perception' - if it's important please clarify what you mean by that.
Reply 73
Original post by miser
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't seem to be in line with your previous statements (e.g., "I'd say it's irresponsible to leave your belongings in an area in which there's a probability (however small) of it getting stolen.") I'm now reading you as saying you only have a problem with people who don't accept responsibility when their property gets stolen, i.e., that you can leave your belongings unattended responsibly. But even saying this, accept responsibility for what? For being a victim of crime?

I'm also still not following your reasoning as to why you find it generally irresponsible. You say, "Most people, however, seem not to accept responsibility when, for instance: their property gets stolen." - what exactly do you mean by that?

And you re-iterated it, but I'm not sure what you mean by saying I argue 'perception' - if it's important please clarify what you mean by that.

I believe it is you who must clarify your position. You talk of general 'victim blaming' when in fact what you're only defending a very specific instance. If someone was to accept partial responsibility for the theft of their property because they did not take all of the precautions available to them—I wouldn't have a problem. To be clear (as you quite obviously have difficulty following simple lines of thought): I wouldn't blame a victim who did protest and refuted responsibility; but I would certainly have less sympathy for them. I cannot state my position any clearer.
If it's in full view and the place has cameras, I have no problem leaving my stuff if I can see it. If I can't see it, I'd only leave it breifly. Sorry I don't see criminals round every corner
Reply 75
Original post by Caedus
I believe it is you who must clarify your position. You talk of general 'victim blaming' when in fact what you're only defending a very specific instance. If someone was to accept partial responsibility for the theft of their property because they did not take all of the precautions available to them—I wouldn't have a problem. To be clear (as you quite obviously have difficulty following simple lines of thought): I wouldn't blame a victim who did protest and refuted responsibility; but I would certainly have less sympathy for them. I cannot state my position any clearer.

Well, you responded to me giving your own contrary view, to which I've asked you specific questions which you have twice now shied from answering, meanwhile you have not asked me any questions at all, yet now you tell me that it's in fact me who ought to clarify his position, whilst evidently also becoming frustrated about it. I'm not meaning to be obtuse, but if it's affecting your ability to remain cordial then you're free to disregard this reply and discontinue the discussion.

For my reply: I completely understand that you do not hold sympathy for people whom in your estimation shirk their responsibility. What I would like to know and presently remains unclear to me is what about leaving possessions unattended implies irresponsibility on the part of the owner. As I said in my first reply to you, as it seems to me for a person who leaves items unattended, either their conception of the risk involved is inaccurate, or they are comfortable in assuming that risk, and neither of these things imply to me the presence of irresponsibility. If there is irresponsibility present, what I would like to know is why you view them as behaving irresponsibly.
Reply 76
This is the primary reason my laptop lives at home unless I'm taking it out to study with a friend, who won't mind watching my stuff if I need to leave it for a bit.

It's insured but there's no way I'd ever willingly increase the chance of losing it. These people baffle me too.
Reply 77
Lol @ everyone saying 'but it won't get stolen!'

Just shows a lack of respect and value for your belongings when you leave it lying anywhere in a public area. I could never do that. But then again, I've never broken or lost a phone, laptop, earphones etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Caedus
I said they deserve what they get; not that their possessions deserve to be stolen.

You... what... I don't... so the distinction is that the possessions don't deserve what they get, whereas the person who loses them does deserve to lose them? :confused:
Reply 79
Original post by Reue
Simply not true.

I remember reading some crime stats and many shoplifters/thieves etc were employed middleclass people. The assumption that students are to clever or well-off to be tempted into theft is wrong.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Maybe they have PC World 3 year anything goes cover so they can just get a new one, I know I have that. I could do with it just dying or getting robbed in the next year so I can get a new one because I'm pretty sure mine is discontinued.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending