The Student Room Group

Life after a Computer Science Degree

Hi guys,

I've been working for a year now in a job that I'm not really interested in. I was thinking about doing a computer science course to change profession.

I was just wondering what prospects there are after doing a Computer Science course and what uni you guys went to/ what uni you guys think is the best to do the course.

Its not like im just jumping into this with no background in IT, I did a BTEC Extended diploma in IT and achieved D*D*D*(420 ucas points), however I did not do maths which seems like most Computer science courses say they 'require'.

Any chance you guys could give me a little advice here?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Most Computer Science courses will take you without A level maths. They require a B in GCSE maths, though if you go to a university that does Computer Science with a foundation year, they may accept you on the course with a C in GCSE maths. I am about to start the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT in September and do GCSE maths and will do Computer Science in University when done. I have searched, myself for the prospects after graduation and they're very high. Every business has an IT department and with the technological advances we've seen and have yet to see, there will be plenty of opportunities in Computer Science.
Reply 2
Original post by cnova
Most Computer Science courses will take you without A level maths. They require a B in GCSE maths, though if you go to a university that does Computer Science with a foundation year, they may accept you on the course with a C in GCSE maths. I am about to start the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT in September and do GCSE maths and will do Computer Science in University when done. I have searched, myself for the prospects after graduation and they're very high. Every business has an IT department and with the technological advances we've seen and have yet to see, there will be plenty of opportunities in Computer Science.

I think 'most' should probably be replaced with 'some' here. The universities that will become few and far between as you get into the top 20, and even then they mostly require you to do extra maths work during the first year to catch up.

It's not for no reason - CS is a heavily mathematical subject and has virtually nothing in common with IT.
Reply 3
Original post by Damask-
I think 'most' should probably be replaced with 'some' here. The universities that will become few and far between as you get into the top 20, and even then they mostly require you to do extra maths work during the first year to catch up.

It's not for no reason - CS is a heavily mathematical subject and has virtually nothing in common with IT.

I said most because 'Top 20' is very few compared to the amount of universities in this country. As for the maths, that was my reason for suggesting that he finds one with a foundation year. You will also find that a lot of CS courses do have overlap in some of their modules with IT and more so with optional modules.
Reply 4
Original post by cnova
I said most because 'Top 20' is very few compared to the amount of universities in this country. As for the maths, that was my reason for suggesting that he finds one with a foundation year. You will also find that a lot of CS courses do have overlap in some of their modules with IT and more so with optional modules.

It's not just the top 20 though. If possible, you're right, OP would be better off doing a foundation year and starting CS somewhere that doesn't actually offer an IT degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending