The Student Room Group

If you lived in the USA would you buy a gun?

Well?

I would. I'm glad guns are illegal here though.

Scroll to see replies

Depends where I lived, I probably would in a state in the South.
Yes, absolutely.
Reply 3
Of course, I wish they were legal in this country
I wouldn't like to own one, I'm a tad clumsy, but if everyone else has one I need one for safety :smile:
I wouldn't buy a handgun for use in self defence. I probably would be more likely to buy a rifle or something for use on a range / sport shooting / etc.
Reply 6
As protection in my own home.
No. I would be more likely to be killed by my gun than defend myself with it.

(Not just me - that's the evidence. In the USA, a gun in the home is many times more likely to kill a person living in that household, whether by suicide, domestic argument, or accident than it is to be used legitimately as self-defense).

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Nooooooo

I'm too freaking clumsy

Plus, if I shot someone, I couldn't live with myself.
Reply 9
Oh, hell to the yes, without question. I'd invest in a nice range of firearms including a desert eagle, browning pistols, walther ppk, mossberg shotguns, ruger mini-14, etc.
Although I'm very anti-firearm legalisation, I'd enjoy target shooting if there was a decent range near where I lived. If it is legal then you might as well go with the flow. Of course the one group of people who can't easily take advantage of their ridiculously lax gun law are non-citizens so would probably be tricky for most of us even if we did live there.
Though I don't like the idea of guns and their legalisation, I would in a country that allowed it for self defence because everyone else would have one, so it would be a disadvantage not to have one.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I would really like a Glock 22 and an HK USP in .40SW
Reply 13
Yeah it would be pretty cool i'd get a katana too i want one in the UK but there are silly laws against it.
I think that firearms, ideally, should be strictly regulated, but be more available than they are in this country. I think that experienced policemen deserve the right to be able to protect themselves with a firearm, and to try and coerce suspects to surrender so that people may be arrested easier. Your average Joe certainly shouldn't be able to just walk into a gun shop and buy a weapon. I think there should be many strict criteria that must be met before anyone should be able to buy a weapon, particularly one that can be concealed about your person and carried in public. I don't know what those criteria should be, but they need to exist.

That being said, if I lived in a country where everyone else was packing a 9mm when they left the house, I'd have a .45 ready in response. You have to protect yourself and your family and friends; hopefully you'd never have to use it.
party in the usa

Spoiler

Original post by crayz
Yeah it would be pretty cool i'd get a katana too i want one in the UK but there are silly laws against it.

My fencing epées are enough for me.
Reply 17
No. It's a stupid idea.
yes, and it would preferably be fully automatic, but obviously I'd only have it for the event of a burglary or for the protection of someone being seriously harmed/wronged inside the house. I may also carry a smaller gun if I was walking around on the night streets alone. I wouldn't go around the streets going "look at my big gun". but there's nothing wrong with the former situation, in fact, in switzerland, all adult males must own a gun and go through gun training
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BeanofJelly
No. I would be more likely to be killed by my gun than defend myself with it.

(Not just me - that's the evidence. In the USA, a gun in the home is many times more likely to kill a person living in that household, whether by suicide, domestic argument, or accident than it is to be used legitimately as self-defense).

Spoiler

There are many times more incidences where a firearm is used in self defense then are mentioned here. The reason is that there are times when a gun doesn't have to be fired to prevent an attack. Another reason is that many times a gun used in self defense is not reported for a number of reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending