The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

QMUL vs KCL....

Hey,

I had an offer for both uni's to start this September. I'm a bit worried i've picked the wrong one as my firm choice! Which Uni has a better rep would you say? The league tables are so hard to go off because they are all different depending upon the paper you read! I hope to study French with Business Management. Needless to say, if I feel i've chosen the wrong offer i'll probably reapply next year, depending on my grades this year? Do you think this would make me disadvantaged?

Any help appreciated!!

Danielle
x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
QMUL is an excellent uni but if u wnt my advice KCL all the way.... KCL if u read in other threats is internationally recognised, is in the heart of London etc etc.... i knw thts brief (i do apologise) but i think thts all there is 2 say... which have u picked?

I had the same two when i applied, kcl was my firm and qmul my insurance. KCL has a gr8 business management school . . .. !!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I picked QM. :s I'm a bit worried about it now actually! With so many people getting degrees these days I think it's important that your Uni is recognised and feel a bit daft for turning down my Kings offer!

What put me off is the fact that it isn't a campus uni. As I live in the North West, Blackpool, I don't have a clue about living in London...i've only ever been there twice so the thought of travelling up to 40mins to uni was a bit daunting!

x
Reply 3
ok well look dnt wrry! the fact of the matter is QMUL is gr8 2, it doesnt mtter! and nothing can beat a good degreee - - ur at QMUL, which is good, they have good ties with city firms and most of all have a good law dept etc . . i always look at depts close to what im studying to judge a uni as well.

concentrate on getting a high 2.1 or first and u shudnt have any problems at all whereva u go esp at qmul. hope tht helps

just go ther and enjoy it . . . itll be gr8 x
Reply 4
Princess,

You have made a terrible mistake. If you want "a recognized name" on the degree, which is so important, why would you choose QMUL?

Who has heard of QM outside of the UK? I tell you before I joined this forum, I had heard of only approx. a dozen UK schools, and I consider myself to be well informed on issues such as global reputation of universities.

Those dozen or so where Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, IC, KCL, Manchester, SOAS which were held up as "excellent". (This is from a US perspective), and a few others I'd come across via word of mouth.
Reply 5
^ Being that the THES guide ranks QMUL very highly internationally, your country must be very obscure. Especially since over 20% of intakes are international students!
Reply 6
A universities standing amontst peers (ie peer review) does not reflect its standing in public perception. Employers usually are not academics, and they go by brand name recognition.

Berkeley was ranked #2 by one of those "intl rankings", but few would choose it over Yale. Kapisch?
Reply 7
Berkley is an excellent institute. At the top end of the spectrum, there is so little to differentiate, and it normally comes down to administration advancements etc.
I for one would not choose Yale over Berkeley, never. Not saying that I would never choose KCL over QMUL, but each have their own opinions on what they find good and bad about a specific university. But to call it a terrible decision is wrong IMO.
Reply 8
UC @ B is excellent indeed, but Yale is part of the "Big 3", so will always be regarded better by employers.

Thats all I am saying.

King's is apparently in this "Golden Triangle", so employers may prefer its grads.
Reply 9
Problem is - do you really think employers know about the 'big 3' and the 'golden triangle' and the 'Great 5' etc. Of course they don't. They employ you on face value coupled with an established and known university. They don't choose one over the other because one has a slightly better score.

A KCL student has as good a chance as a UCL student in most job interviews. An employer won't think - ah 'the elite 5', cannot employ this KCL student. TSR looks to much into trivial details relative to a university.
Reply 10
I have read that King's is in this "Golden triangle", words of the UCL provost no less. Either way, what is the E5?

I dont doubt that in the US the "Big 3" are favored by employers.

For the record:

" The future of the University of London: a discussion from the Provost of UCL (page 6) [ http://www.ucl.ac.uk/images/Uni-Lon.pdf ]

"Imperial College, King’s College, the LSE and UCL are all in the small group of leading universities in the UK and with Cambridge and Oxford are sometimes referred to as “the Golden Triangle”." The future of the University of London: a discussion paper from the Provost of UCL, Malcolm Grant, President and Provost, UCL. (p.6)

Is that not correct?
Reply 11
God knows. Wiki is normally correct, although we can never be sure ocncerning those swines. I was sure the 'supposed' elite 5 was ICL, UCL, LSE, Oxford and Cambridge. Again, its no biggy, and its another invented word to try and separate colleges. In fact, its elitist!
Reply 12
Nothing wrong with the better places saying so.

Tell me, in the UK is the "donation" system prevelant?
Reply 13
red_alert
Nothing wrong with the better places saying so.

Tell me, in the UK is the "donation" system prevelant?

Sorry bud, I have no idea what that is :redface:

oh - your first statement, its all very subjectcive.
Reply 14
Oh you know, say someone wants admission to a good school, just before allocations that persons father makes a "donation" to smoothen the process?

Kapisch?
The word you need is "legacy". G. W. Bush was a legacy candidate for admission at Yale- the Prescot Bushes and G. H. W. Bush gave very large sums of money to Yale over a period of years. They do not operate this
particular preference system in the U. K.
global_warning
The word you need is "legacy". G. W. Bush was a legacy candidate for admission at Yale- the Prescot Bushes and G. H. W. Bush gave very large sums of money to Yale over a period of years. They do not operate this
particular preference system in the U. K.

A legacy is someone whose parent went to the university. That's not the same as someone whose family gives an insane amount of money hoping to get their child in.

Please don't confuse the two. There vast majority of legacy students do not have buildings named after them.
Reply 17
So they dont have that system in the UK?
shady lane
A legacy is someone whose parent went to the university. That's not the same as someone whose family gives an insane amount of money hoping to get their child in.

Please don't confuse the two. There vast majority of legacy students do not have buildings named after them.

Well excuse me...!
red_alert
So they dont have that system in the UK?

Not that I know of.

Latest