The Student Room Group

Work experience

Are there any work experience/voluntary placements available at the end of June

And how do you guys find work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentwiz

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you planning on going in for?
Reply 2
Original post by LouieSax
What are you planning on going in for?

Anything to be honest, I'm open to anything. I just new to get experience by the end of June. Do you know anywhere that's offering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm.. schools are a good place for work experience in anything because they're easy to access and most jobs will involve children or dealing with people in some way :smile: Try going to the school in person, if you're willing to do a school that is :smile:
Reply 4
I'm 18, would it be possible doing work in a school at my age?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 18, would it be possible doing work in a school at my age?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes absolutely, however they may require a DBS check before you start, some schools are surprisingly lax on this though.
Check out some volunteering websites there is always plenty of options, don't be put off by application forms they're really just a formality in most cases.
I have volunteered in schools, with the big issue, mencap and a refugee centre, and for me it is so worthwhile you really do gain a lot and they often pay your travel expenses.

Your timeframe may make it difficult though because most places want long term volunteers rather than just a few weeks, try looking for special events that you can help out with.
Reply 6
Original post by Georgie_M
Yes absolutely, however they may require a DBS check before you start, some schools are surprisingly lax on this though.
Check out some volunteering websites there is always plenty of options, don't be put off by application forms they're really just a formality in most cases.
I have volunteered in schools, with the big issue, mencap and a refugee centre, and for me it is so worthwhile you really do gain a lot and they often pay your travel expenses.

Your timeframe may make it difficult though because most places want long term volunteers rather than just a few weeks, try looking for special events that you can help out with.

What volunteer websites do you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What volunteer websites do you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

do-it.org.uk is obviously the big one although they have started charging for advertising volunteering roles so it has put a lot of charities off there are others though just google 'volunteering', there is a free website for advertising which is becoming popular but I can't remember the name.
There is a volunteer centre in most cities so try googling yours, mine is in the library. Also check websites of individual charities you may be interested in many larger ones advertise exclusively through their own website. Look up charities in your area that cater to things you are interested in and send out speculative e-mails.
Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Georgie_M
do-it.org.uk is obviously the big one although they have started charging for advertising volunteering roles so it has put a lot of charities off there are others though just google 'volunteering', there is a free website for advertising which is becoming popular but I can't remember the name.
There is a volunteer centre in most cities so try googling yours, mine is in the library. Also check websites of individual charities you may be interested in many larger ones advertise exclusively through their own website. Look up charities in your area that cater to things you are interested in and send out speculative e-mails.
Good luck!

Thanks so much for you help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are looking for work experience, try having a look around the internet. Type in whatever you think you would like experience in, followed by your area (e.g. County)-this is what I normally do anyway. :P

On the other hand, get out the 'Yellow Pages' and flick through it. If you happen to come across, for example, a Law firm give them a call (assuming that you're interested in getting some experience there).

Work experience can be quite difficult to come across depending on what it is you're specifically going for, but with perseverance you will succeed! :smile:

Alternatively, as other posters have said, have a look into some volunteering opportunities such as those listed on the volunteering website 'Do-it'.
Reply 10
Original post by TheStudent18
If you are looking for work experience, try having a look around the internet. Type in whatever you think you would like experience in, followed by your area (e.g. County)-this is what I normally do anyway. :P

On the other hand, get out the 'Yellow Pages' and flick through it. If you happen to come across, for example, a Law firm give them a call (assuming that you're interested in getting some experience there).

Work experience can be quite difficult to come across depending on what it is you're specifically going for, but with perseverance you will succeed! :smile:

Alternatively, as other posters have said, have a look into some volunteering opportunities such as those listed on the volunteering website 'Do-it'.

Thank you, any ideas on work experience placements that will help me boost my reference in the future for uni or just a job in general? Or is anything really acceptable and not frowned upon ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would like to study psychology at uni so what work experience would you recommened for me?
Thank you, any ideas on work experience placements that will help me boost my reference in the future for uni or just a job in general? Or is anything really acceptable and not frowned upon ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well to be honest, any work experience or volunteering placement that you undertake will allow you to develop and improve your current skill-set. It is these skills that universities and employers generally want in a well-rounded person. For example, on a Personal Statement for university you would mention what you did, what skills you learnt and how these skills can be used to make you a suitable person for that course.

I don't really think it matters where you get work experience or what you volunteer for (unless the course you are aiming for has specific requirements e.g. Medicine), but as long as you are able to state what skills you developed (e.g. inter-personal skills) and why they are important you should be fine.

I am no expert, so I would recommend that you visit a Careers Adviser and ask their opinions as they will be able to give you professional advice.

But I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by CuteMissJessica
I would like to study psychology at uni so what work experience would you recommened for me?

Not to sure but going into do some hospital work with mentally ill patients will show your motivated and will to learn about the course and again you can't go wrong with placements at a hospital. Go on the student ladder they show placements that do work experience if you're interested

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CuteMissJessica

I would recommend trying to get a work experience placement in your local hospital (as another poster has said). Ask the HR unit of the hospital if they offer any placements and what will a typical placement consist of (as they generally have rotations i.e. one day in fracture clinic with Orthopaedic doctors, the next day with ENT doctors and so on).

Failing that, get into contact with local schools and see if you can get some work experience there, anything working with people is ideal for psychology as psychology itself is all about human interaction and behaviour. Also, try and see if you can get some volunteering positions in care homes. This is ideal as you will be able to see the effects of old age on mental health such as dementia which essentially is a degradation of the mental faculties.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do charity fundraising, or something involving a charity

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about volunteering with guides/scouts
Reply 17
Original post by Emma:-)
How about volunteering with guides/scouts

Never really thought of that, what are guides? and how do I go about this?
Never really thought of that, what are guides? and how do I go about this?

I bet you have heard of guides- as in rainbows, brownies and guides.
Go on the girlguiding websites and go on the join us section to join.
Reply 19
Original post by Emma:-)
I bet you have heard of guides- as in rainbows, brownies and guides.
Go on the girlguiding websites and go on the join us section to join.

What! I'm a guy lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending