i just did it in rough, havent checked the answer:

(n/6+1+A+Bn)*4^n

hints: try (Cn+D)*n^2*4^n for finding the particular solution

tell me if it is incorrect.

cheers,
J.
Reply 3
Max Plank
This thread is for all those "cool hacker dudes" who do CS at Imperial (1st year) to post academic questions that they can't do.
Eg show the following is true:
(E)x[lecturer(x) ^ TeachesReasoning(x) ^ WritesUnreadableLogicAllOnOneLine(x) ]

John

well, i cant prove that is true. why dont you show me what x is in unreadableLogicAllOnOneLine(x)?

:P

J.
Reply 4
jiefei_ma
i just did it in rough, havent checked the answer:

(n/6+1+A+Bn)*4^n

hints: try (Cn+D)*n^2*4^n for finding the particular solution

tell me if it is incorrect.

cheers,
J.

Cheers Jeff, I spent ages on that!

John
Reply 5
Max Plank
Cheers Jeff, I spent ages on that!

John

you're welcome!
Max Plank
This thread is for all those "cool hacker dudes" who do CS at Imperial (1st year) to post academic questions that they can't do.
Eg show the following is true:
(E)x[lecturer(x) ^ TeachesReasoning(x) ^ WritesUnreadableLogicAllOnOneLine(x) ]

John

Very drole :smile: Of course, this is provable when you get into the fourth year and take automated reasoning. You'll find that you can Skolemise to form:
lecturer(z) & teachesReasoning(z) & writesUnreadableLogicAllOnOneLine(z)
and then bind
z==( )
where you can fill in the blank.

But you should be more forgiving: it's very hard to make these things clear without spending hours and hours and hours typing them. As you'll come to learn when you're writing up your MEng project...
Reply 7
Dogtanian
Very drole :smile: Of course, this is provable when you get into the fourth year and take automated reasoning. You'll find that you can Skolemise to form:
lecturer(z) & teachesReasoning(z) & writesUnreadableLogicAllOnOneLine(z)
and then bind
z==( )
where you can fill in the blank.

But you should be more forgiving: it's very hard to make these things clear without spending hours and hours and hours typing them. As you'll come to learn when you're writing up your MEng project...

er...................
you dont need the knowledge of Automated Reasoning to evaluate that L-Formula, so long as you are given a suitable L-structure(possibly + assignments).......that is merely first order logic stuff.........
Well, of course not :smile: You obviously have remembered thoroughly the course on logic (though we typically just call them "structures"). And, of course, you certainly need the assignment. But there's no need to resort down to semantics of logic here. I wanted to talk about finding in an automated manner a proof for your statement. Funny, though, as I would think of myself as a theorist and not one of these AI quacks.
Hello. I'm starting CS in October. I love programming, but am starting to fear the maths in the course after what I heard around here. =/

Will

Latest

Trending

Trending