The Student Room Group

Medicine: Leeds, Edinburgh, Birmingham or Liverpool. Getting desperate here!!!!

I am fortunate enough to be in the position to have all 4 of my offers.
Yet i have no idea where to go and the deadline is fast approaching.
I have Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool and Edinburgh and was wondering if people could give their honest opinions on pros and cons for each/which is the best.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you been to visit them all? Surely you can't like all of them so equally that you are really that torn between 4? There must be something that stands out from one of them, whether it's course structure or the city, or the feel you got for the uni when visiting? I'd pick Leeds if I had those choices, just my opinion though.
Original post by KA125
Have you been to visit them all? Surely you can't like all of them so equally that you are really that torn between 4? There must be something that stands out from one of them, whether it's course structure or the city, or the feel you got for the uni when visiting? I'd pick Leeds if I had those choices, just my opinion though.

I've seen each of them about 3 times in total including interviews etc.

Ironically Leeds is where I don't want to go I just listed all four to get a gist.
Probably between the other three and I like each for very different but equally valid reasons so it's quite difficult as their are faults with each too
Reply 3
Original post by SimpsP
I've seen each of them about 3 times in total including interviews etc.

Ironically Leeds is where I don't want to go I just listed all four to get a gist.
Probably between the other three and I like each for very different but equally valid reasons so it's quite difficult as their are faults with each too

If I had to order these, I would go... Leeds, Bham, Edinburgh, Lpool.

Well there you go, Leeds is your least favourite, one down! :P. Bham is a lovely campus and the QE is just great... I hear their anatomy isn't all that though. I know nothing about Edinburgh and Liverpool though, hence why they were the two I listed last.

Sorry I've been no help
Original post by KA125

Well there you go, Leeds is your least favourite, one down! :P. Bham is a lovely campus and the QE is just great... I hear their anatomy isn't all that though. I know nothing about Edinburgh and Liverpool though, hence why they were the two I listed last.

Sorry I've been no help

Any help is a good thing at the mo so thanks :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by SimpsP
Any help is a good thing at the mo so thanks :biggrin:

Congrats on getting 4 offers! That's an incredible achievement. Your PS must have been impressive - what were your ECs and why did you rule out BMAT unis if you don't mind sharing with us? The 4 schools are all crazily competitive - I think Leeds has roughly 4,000 applications a year. If you look on Wikipedia Edinburgh's history and past alumni is awesome. Plus it is usually in the top 10 of international league tables for medicine. I would say Edinburgh has a worldwide reputation and although excellent medical schools in the prestige stakes they just can't compete.
Why are you desperate?

Think of how you would feel if you only received one offer, you would accept it with gratitude and simply make the most of the experience.

Choose the one you have warmed to most, what's at stake?

Enjoy!
Reply 7
I'm kind of in the same boat, 3 offers and can't decide between them.

I don't really like Birmingham as a city. I think it's sprawling and kind of ugly and the people aren't as friendly as in the other three. Just my opinion though.
Original post by ariane32
Congrats on getting 4 offers! That's an incredible achievement. Your PS must have been impressive - what were your ECs and why did you rule out BMAT unis if you don't mind sharing with us? The 4 schools are all crazily competitive - I think Leeds has roughly 4,000 applications a year. If you look on Wikipedia Edinburgh's history and past alumni is awesome. Plus it is usually in the top 10 of international league tables for medicine. I would say Edinburgh has a worldwide reputation and although excellent medical schools in the prestige stakes they just can't compete.

I didn't apply for BMAT unis mainly as I don't study physics or maths and neither were my strong suits at high school and I didn't want to risk mucking it up :smile:
Edinburgh is definitely somewhere I'm leaning towards as it's just so prestigious
Original post by Biochemical Wizard
Why are you desperate?

Think of how you would feel if you only received one offer, you would accept it with gratitude and simply make the most of the experience.

Choose the one you have warmed to most, what's at stake?

Enjoy!

Thanks. I'm a bit desperate as it's only a week to UCAS deadline.
I am so lucky to have offers I know it's a bit insane. Probably hence my confusion I was expecting nothing or one at best as my college doesn't have the best track record with getting medics in.
I think I'll do what you say and see where my gut tells me to go
Original post by Gibber96
I'm kind of in the same boat, 3 offers and can't decide between them.

I don't really like Birmingham as a city. I think it's sprawling and kind of ugly and the people aren't as friendly as in the other three. Just my opinion though.

I had the same issues with Birmingham when I went
I thought the same about Birmingham - the campus and med school are great, but not so sure about the city, plus it's seems to be having a problem with crime at the moment and the year group is very large. Edinburgh is a beautiful city and very prestigious (with worldwide rep), but have you considered there may be issues if the vote for Independence goes through? Leeds seems very popular and very few medics turn it down (don't know if this is because of the quality of the medicine course or the popularity of Leeds itself??). Know nothing about Liverpool. Have you considered how far they are from home, or maybe that's not a consideration? Good luck, a difficult choice!
Original post by SimpsP
I am fortunate enough to be in the position to have all 4 of my offers.
Yet i have no idea where to go and the deadline is fast approaching.
I have Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool and Edinburgh and was wondering if people could give their honest opinions on pros and cons for each/which is the best.

Birmingham medical school has a good reputation and the uni itself won the university of the year 2014, people will say all sort of stuff about the city but personally I've lived here all my life and it's great, all the negative comments people are saying about bham depends on which area u are living in
Ive just firmed my place at university of birmingham after going through interviews, good luck with ur choice doe u really are in a difficult situation with all those offers for a Really competitive course :smile:
Original post by KA125

Sorry I've been no help

You wouldn't want anatomy to be "all that", though. Any sort of in-depth anatomy is a boring, tedious and traumatic ordeal. :lol:

OP, ask anything you want to know about Edinburgh and I can answer. :smile:
Original post by msewell12
Bit confused about your sudden change of mind about Leeds-I saw that you'd said on another thread "Will most likely firm Liverpool or Leeds". What's made you change your mind?
I'd definetely go for Edinburgh if I were you. Absolutely beautiful city and one of the best medicine courses in the country too-no surprise it's ranked 3rd in the country! The only drawback about Edinburgh is the possibility of Scotland becoming independent, but I think that's still quite unlikely.

I was also confused about my sudden change of heart.
I went back for the accom day fairly certain I was going to firm and I just really didn't like the vibe. Don't know really.
Original post by msewell12
Bit confused about your sudden change of mind about Leeds-I saw that you'd said on another thread "Will most likely firm Liverpool or Leeds". What's made you change your mind?
I'd definetely go for Edinburgh if I were you. Absolutely beautiful city and one of the best medicine courses in the country too-no surprise it's ranked 3rd in the country! The only drawback about Edinburgh is the possibility of Scotland becoming independent, but I think that's still quite unlikely.

Depends how you define best. :beard:
The course has a lot of positives and drawbacks, but I really wouldn't think twice about ranking. It doesn't matter how high the ranking of the university is if you're just going to be miserable studying there!
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Depends how you define best. :beard:
The course has a lot of positives and drawbacks, but I really wouldn't think twice about ranking. It doesn't matter how high the ranking of the university is if you're just going to be miserable studying there!

Hey Hype, what would you say the pros and cons of edinburgh's course are?
I thought I'd add that you might want to look at the satisfaction ratings and league table positions for these universities.

I'm sure some people will not like me suggesting this as "all UK medical schools are good", which they are, but there are differences. I'm at a medical school in the bottom half of the table with annually fluctuating, but mostly quite low in comparison, satisfaction scores and now that I'm here I see why and sometimes wish I picked my other offer which had better course satisfaction. When I previously enquired about this I was told not to pay too much attention to the league tables and satisfaction scores.....

Also Liverpool is quite heavy on PBL if I remember correctly, so is that something you think you'd like?
Original post by Someone123123
I thought I'd add that you might want to look at the satisfaction ratings and league table positions for these universities.

I'm sure some people will not like me suggesting this as "all UK medical schools are good", which they are, but there are differences. I'm at a medical school in the bottom half of the table with annually fluctuating, but mostly quite low in comparison, satisfaction scores and now that I'm here I see why and sometimes wish I picked my other offer which had better course satisfaction. When I previously enquired about this I was told not to pay too much attention to the league tables and satisfaction scores.....

Also Liverpool is quite heavy on PBL if I remember correctly, so is that something you think you'd like?

I'll look them all up on Unistats. However Liverpool have changed their course to all lectures and tutorials for 2014 entry hence why I actually like it now. I initially applied when it was all PBL purely as its the uni closest to home. But their new course is probably the best looking out of all three for me. But it is brand new
Original post by Someone123123

Hi there ..! I can well u/stand how you feel about the satisfaction rankings in the league tables . Would it be okay if i asked you which med school are u in , and which was your other offer . ( i have just firmed up Newcastle , out of my 3 offers , the others being Dundee and Leicester )
Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending