The Student Room Group

Lewisham

Right I had no idea where to put this so feel free to move it wherever.

Anyone got any experience at all of Lewisham? I'm probably moving there in June and was hoping for some info off people who know the area!

Could be estate agents that are good/bad, or good/bad things about the area. Transport tips are a definite help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep I'm from Lewisham.

Are you moving to somewhere near the shopping centre?

The area has a high crime rate but this isn't generally reflected in day to day life

Any other questions you got I may be able to answer

261 if you want to get to Bromley

178 if you want to get to Woolwich

321 if you want to get to Eltham I believe, well foots cray tesco at least

Lewisham station itself and Hither Green have train routes to many parts in central london, e.g. London Bridge, London Victoria, Charring Cross & Cannon street
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Where abouts in Lewisham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Robbie242
Yep I'm from Lewisham.

The area has a high crime rate but this isn't generally reflected in day to day life

Lewisham station itself and Hither Green have train routes to many parts in central london, e.g. London Bridge, London Victoria, Charring Cross & Cannon street

Not sure yet as we are only just starting to look for a house :smile: My mum compared it with the crime rate for where they live and it's similar to where I grew up so I'm not too worried about the crime rate :smile:

Any particular areas to avoid/look because they are good?

Pub/things to do recommendations??
I read something about a market somewhere in the area? (I'm one of those odd people that tries not to shop at supermarkets if at all possible :P)

My boyfriends working in Bexley which is on the train line from Lewisham, hence why we are looking there :smile:

Thankyou ever so much for the help!!! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by suarti10
Where abouts in Lewisham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Within walking distance of any train station that goes to either bexley/bexleyheath and is within 40 or so minutes of Euston. Other than that I have no idea!

I've been looking a lot at Hither Green/Lewisham, New Cross would be great but Lee seems a bit far although I'm not ruling it out.
Reply 5
Original post by redferry
Not sure yet as we are only just starting to look for a house :smile: My mum compared it with the crime rate for where they live and it's similar to where I grew up so I'm not too worried about the crime rate :smile:

Any particular areas to avoid/look because they are good?

Pub/things to do recommendations??
I read something about a market somewhere in the area? (I'm one of those odd people that tries not to shop at supermarkets if at all possible :P)

My boyfriends working in Bexley which is on the train line from Lewisham, hence why we are looking there :smile:

Thankyou ever so much for the help!!! :smile:

Oh great hope you find what you're looking for :smile:, Lewisham has a mixture of people from different income backgrounds, I'm in the suburbs part, so I'm quite close (about 10minutes walk from Blackheath, 8 minute walk to the centre of Lewisham). Just try not to go into the heart of Lewisham if your looking for somewhere quiet, though I've never been around those parts, I assume its why it has a high crime statistic.

I'm not an expert on housing in Lewisham but it will depend wholly on your budget, I've seen a few houses for sale around my area and they are generally just normal houses (e.g. mine is 3 bedroom, 1 kitchen, an attic and a garden etc). Hither Green was basically my hub when I was going to work in the city everyday for my work exp. There's a station pub near Hither Green, there's also a lovely field not too far in Blackheath & then there's Greenwich park itself. Also Mannor park which is my local park, about 30seconds walk outside my doorstep haha.

You can also go bowling if that takes your fancy really right close to the Lewisham shopping centre, opposite to the dental practice & Nando's. Yep that's Lewisham market, although I've rarely been there, I assume its like a good old fashioned outdoor market which sells food etc. There's also something in my local park called the farmers market and that seems to sell food as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Oh great hope you find what you're looking for :smile:, Lewisham has a mixture of people from different income backgrounds, I'm in the suburbs part, so I'm quite close (about 10minutes walk from Blackheath, 8 minute walk to the centre of lewisham). Just try not to go into the heart of Lewisham if your looking for somewhere quiet, though I've never been around those parts, I assume its why it has a high crime statistic.

where exactly is 'the heart of Lewisham?' off the high street? I heard the ladywhatsiface (Ladywell is it?) was the more dodgy bit? I've no idea what I am talking about though I will be honest :P

I'm not an expert on housing in Lewisham but it will depend wholly on your budget, I've seen a few houses for sale around my area and they are generally just normal houses (e.g. mine is 3 bedroom, 1 kitchen, an attic and a garden etc). Hither Green was basically my hub when I was going to work in the city everyday for my work exp. There's a station pub near Hither Green, there's also a lovely field not too far in Blackheath & Greenwich park itself. Also Mannor park which is my local park, about 30seconds walk outside my doorstep haha.

we'll be renting and our budget is around £1000 a month (with the possibility of stretching it for the perfect place) which seems very doable fortunately. Hither green seems 1) nice and 2) cheap so I could imagine us ending up there for sure. My parents are pushing for the development just off Lee high road their friend used to live in so that's another possibility but no idea if any will be available when I start looking properly!

You can also go bowling if that takes your fancy really right near the Lewisham shopping centre, opposite to the dental practice & Nando's. Yep that's Lewisham market, although I've rarely been there, I assume its like a good old fashioned outdoor market which sells food etc. There's also something in my local park called the farmers market and that seems to sell food as well.

Sounds awesome :smile: are there any affordable cinemas or will I have to trek over to Leicester Square? Is it fairly easy to get into the center?
Reply 7
where exactly is 'the heart of Lewisham?' off the high street? I heard the ladywhatsiface (Ladywell is it?) was the more dodgy bit? I've no idea what I am talking about though I will be honest :P

we'll be renting and our budget is around £1000 a month (with the possibility of stretching it for the perfect place) which seems very doable fortunately. Hither green seems 1) nice and 2) cheap so I could imagine us ending up there for sure. My parents are pushing for the development just off Lee high road their friend used to live in so that's another possibility but no idea if any will be available when I start looking properly!

Sounds awesome :smile: are there any affordable cinemas or will I have to trek over to Leicester Square? Is it fairly easy to get into the center?

Basically the shopping centre & train station is where the heart of lewisham is, but the core would probably be ladywell etc, used to go swimming in ladywell but that's literally the only thing I did there.

Guess you could say I'm more of a Hither Green expert rather than a Lewisham expert :tongue:. Hither green is great, I've had no problems at all with the local area my entire life.

The two closest Cinema's are the O2 and the ODEON cinema, right next to blackwall tunnel (both of them) I'd say they are about 20-30mins by bus from Hither Green so not that bad!

Getting to the centre is as easy as walking down the street for several minutes, the shopping centre is really close, and so is blackheath!
(edited 9 years ago)
Yep I'm from Lewisham.

What this person said. It's pretty easy to get to loads of places from here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Basically the shopping centre & train station is where the heart of lewisham is, but the core would probably be ladywell etc, used to go swimming in ladywell but that's literally the only thing I did there.

Guess you could say I'm more of a Hither Green expert rather than a Lewisham expert :tongue:. Hither green is great, I've had no problems at all with the local area my entire life.

The two closest Cinema's are the O2 and the ODEON cinema, right next to blackwall tunnel (both of them) I'd say they are about 20-30mins by bus from Hither Green so not that bad!

Getting to the centre is as easy as walking down the street for several minutes, the shopping centre is really close, and so is blackheath!

Cool, thanks again!

Hither Green does seem nice :smile: It's a little further to central London though, which is where I am likely to be studying. Most of the time at least I'm all over the place for the first term. Is that an easy enough commute?

How much for the cinema? :smile:

sorry for bombarding you with questions! I'm really nervous about the move!
Cool, thanks again!

Hither Green does seem nice :smile: It's a little further to central London though, which is where I am likely to be studying. Most of the time at least I'm all over the place for the first term. Is that an easy enough commute?

How much for the cinema? :smile:

sorry for bombarding you with questions! I'm really nervous about the move!

No worries

It's not that far honestly, I commuted to the Bank of England (close to Cannon Street) from Hither Green everyday and it was just a 30minute train Journey and a 6minute walk, if an excess of 30minutes is long then I do see your point.

Cinema is about a tenner for most movies :smile:

Understandable, any other questions feel free to ask. Also if you plan to have children then there are local primary schools (repping Lee Manor School, my mum used to be a nursery teacher there, literally 2minutes from the station :smile: )
Reply 11
Original post by everything1177
What this person said. It's pretty easy to get to loads of places from here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 12
No worries

It's not that far honestly, I commuted to the Bank of England (close to Cannon Street) from Hither Green everyday and it was just a 30minute train Journey and a 6minute walk, if an excess of 30minutes is long then I do see your point.

Cinema is about a tenner for most movies :smile:

Understandable, any other questions feel free to ask. Also if you plan to have children then there are local primary schools (repping Lee Manor School, my mum used to be a nursery teacher there, literally 2minutes from the station :smile: )

No I commute an hour at the moment so anything less than that is a bonus :smile:
Transport for London reckons 40 mins to Euston which is fine with me :smile:

A tenner?! AAAAH. We pay £4.50 at the moment :P jesus. I think I'll be hitting up the one in Leicester square if I can. Someone told me its £1.50 if you buy a season ticket/membership thingy.

No children plans (I'm there for a PhD) but thanks for the tip off anyway!! Wait maybe I shouldn't say that, sounds a bit dodgy... XD
Reply 14

Do you have any insider knowledge like hidden restaurants/cafes or anything?

My dad said there's a good bengali restaurant on the high street where someone accidentally chucked a pint of beer in his lap but other than that I'm clueless :P it'd be good to know before I move :smile:
Do you have any insider knowledge like hidden restaurants/cafes or anything?

My dad said there's a good bengali restaurant on the high street where someone accidentally chucked a pint of beer in his lap but other than that I'm clueless :P it'd be good to know before I move :smile:

There's a bakery I like, but it's not really hidden, and it's in other places too, so I think a lot of people know it. I think it's called Percy Ingle. I don't live too far away from it, so we always get our bread there :biggrin:
No I commute an hour at the moment so anything less than that is a bonus :smile:
Transport for London reckons 40 mins to Euston which is fine with me :smile:

A tenner?! AAAAH. We pay £4.50 at the moment :P jesus. I think I'll be hitting up the one in Leicester square if I can. Someone told me its £1.50 if you buy a season ticket/membership thingy.

No children plans (I'm there for a PhD) but thanks for the tip off anyway!! Wait maybe I shouldn't say that, sounds a bit dodgy... XD

Oh then its great :smile:

Haha last time I checked that's the unfortunate truth :tongue: I just checked for a random film, the amazing spiderman 2 in 3D, £9 for an adult :lol: £7 for 2D

Haha no worries :smile:
It only takes 20/30 minutes to get a train to central London and it's near Bromley if you want to shop.
Reply 18
Original post by everything1177
There's a bakery I like, but it's not really hidden, and it's in other places too, so I think a lot of people know it. I think it's called Percy Ingle. I don't live too far away from it, so we always get our bread there :biggrin:

Cool thanks! That's really awesome as I probably won't have time to make my own once I'm PhDing :smile:
Reply 19
Oh then its great :smile:

Haha last time I checked that's the unfortunate truth :tongue: I just checked for a random film, the amazing spiderman 2 in 3D, £9 for an adult :lol: £7 for 2D

Haha no worries :smile:

Guess well only be going on Wednesdays :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest