The Student Room Group

Initial Officer Training RAF Knowledge

I'm studying up on what happens during IOT for my next interview, and I have the breakdown from the larger thread on IOT:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=113707
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12802&d=1126869516

However, I was thinking as I was memorising all the sections that it's all just words on paper.

I mean, I understand what is meant by 'Hangar Leadership Exercises', but I've no idea what 'Operation Decisive Edge' actually entails, or what is meant by 'Graduation Support', or 'Academic Static Leadership'.

In my first interview they never actually probed any further than the structure, but I would like to know just from interest what each stage actually entails, with more specifics.

Anybody out there with the knowledge?
Reply 1
Original post by jannisjr
I'm studying up on what happens during IOT for my next interview, and I have the breakdown from the larger thread on IOT:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=113707
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12802&d=1126869516

However, I was thinking as I was memorising all the sections that it's all just words on paper.

I mean, I understand what is meant by 'Hangar Leadership Exercises', but I've no idea what 'Operation Decisive Edge' actually entails, or what is meant by 'Graduation Support', or 'Academic Static Leadership'.

In my first interview they never actually probed any further than the structure, but I would like to know just from interest what each stage actually entails, with more specifics.

Anybody out there with the knowledge?

Do note that that list is 9 years old and no longer accurate.

Decisive Edge is (was?) the 'big' pass/fail leadership test at the end of term 2, you have to pass 2 6hr leadership tasks that formed part of a larger 10 day exercise.
Graduation support is actually, pretty self explanatory. You support the graduation. Again, this is term 2 (although you could be involved in term 1) and it's to make the parade ground look busier and to do general dogsbody roles for the course that's graduating.
Academic Leadership is as it sounds, learning about leadership but in a static, classroom environment, rather than out on exercise or adventurous training.
Original post by Drewski
Do note that that list is 9 years old and no longer accurate.

Decisive Edge is (was?) the 'big' pass/fail leadership test at the end of term 2, you have to pass 2 6hr leadership tasks that formed part of a larger 10 day exercise.
Graduation support is actually, pretty self explanatory. You support the graduation. Again, this is term 2 (although you could be involved in term 1) and it's to make the parade ground look busier and to do general dogsbody roles for the course that's graduating.
Academic Leadership is as it sounds, learning about leadership but in a static, classroom environment, rather than out on exercise or adventurous training.

DE still is the big pass/fail. I could go into detail but it would take too long, just know the layout and see it when you get here, don't fill your brain with stuff that comes later, your head needs filling with lots of other important stuff when you get here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by teasin_tina
DE still is the big pass/fail.

Aha, thought they'd changed the name, or is it only a name change for term 3?
It's still the overall EX name - just different OP names for each phase.
Reply 5
It's still the overall EX name - just different OP names for each phase.

Care to expand?

The list (slightly further down) has the 'New IOT' which was relevant as of 2005.

Has anyone got a more up to date breakdown?
Reply 6
Original post by jannisjr
Care to expand?

Has anyone got a more up to date breakdown?

Why expand? That's all the information you need to know for the interviews (in fact, more than enough) and extra information will not in any way help you.

There are more up to date schedules on here, you've just got to find them. I know I did a rough timetable back in'10 or so. Others have posted images similar to the one in your OP.
Reply 7
I've found a few threads with updated info, such as Op Mucronis etc. The structure seems to be the same basic layout though.

I'm genuinely just interested. I don't have an intention of memorising the unnecessary stuff, i've got my work cut out as it is. I'm just doing some background reading around the training.

I've got similar issues with learning the branch training streams, getting accurate information around hours/weeks on aircraft. It seems anyone who has the up to date information isn't parting with it willingly. I've cross referenced a few different documents dated around 2010/2011 which seemed pretty accurate, apart from a few squadrons moving, or things being streamlined a bit.

I should say, this is my second attempt. I passed aptitude with some very promising scores, and was bounced 6 months at the filter interview based on my training knowledge and a lot of other small issues primarily around my nerves and a lack of interview experience. I know what they're going to ask to an extent, im just being thorough
Reply 8
Hi Jannisjr,

Why not give a nearby station a ring and ask if you can do a work experience day with one of the squadrons? Then you can see the job, speak to the guys that actually do it and ask all the questions you want as well as getting something positive for you to mention in your interview. Where I work we have visitors most weeks!

Chris

I have done this previously actually - I visited No2 sqn for a few hours, had a tour round, got to sit in the aircraft, and about an hour of one of the pilots time.

I've managed to confirm all my information now anyway, so not too much of an issue!

I might arrange another visit though, just because why not?

Quick Reply

Latest