The Student Room Group

Feel embarrassed about being 3 years older at University, and living in halls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
One thing I would say is don't lie about your age. Lies have a nasty habit of coming back to bite you. I am just finishing my third year but I still remember the girl on my course who told all sorts of lies during Fresher's Week. I suppose it was a combination of nerves and showing off but once things settled down her lies came out and she took a good while to live it down.
I have a similar worry though I am only 19 now by the time I get to uni I'm going to be 21 and will be 3 years older than most people. I missed out because of health too. I think it'll be okay though, tell the truth, just make it obvious to them that just because you're older than them you're not there to parent them.
Reply 22
idiot
If you look and act like a fresher anyway, just play a game with yourself and see how long it takes people to find out or realise you're older than them. That's what one guy I know did. We had no idea until a couple months in when we were chatting about A levels and school and stuff and he came out with it. It was quite amusing for us, and nobody cared about it.

Also a lot of people take gap years nowadays so you'll have a half 18, half 19 mix...then people will soon start turning 20 the relationship thing is fine. Sometimes gaps of a few years at a younger age make a difference if people are in different working situations, but if you're both at uni then you're in the same boat and should be able to have normal romantic relationships with no problems.
Original post by RelaxedPenguin
But uni feels a bit like school :confused:

Plus first years are just fresh from school.

Hey just wanna say, I'm starting uni in september and I've just turned 20, so we aren't all fresh from school (:
You know what I am also going through the same ****. No day has passed making me regret about my age. I am 5 years older to my classmates and the worst thing is I have a crush on a person who is 5 years younger to me. I wish I could change my age. The worst thing is the person who took my interview knows my real age and is the faculty of my department. He and few more teachers are targeting me just because I happen to be elder to them. I have developed depression and anxiety because of this. I pray that my course gets over soon and I get rid of this ****. I hate my life. A life in which you can love but cannot express , a life in which you want to fly but as you open your wings they will be snipped... Why did God made me walk on this oath... I regret my past..

Quick Reply

Latest