The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open Degree??

I did just post a question about which degree I should do, however I wanted to ask about open degrees separately.
Is an open degree equivalent to a regular degree? I'm not sure how it works, but there are so many course options I feel like this would be an interesting choice to study.
If I were to achieve an "open degree" would employers recognise it? Especially for primary school teaching as this is the career I want and the whole point of doing a degree.
Any info would be appreciated! (Sorry if a similar question has already been asked before!)

Thanks
They are recognized and are equivalent to normal degrees.

At the bottom of each course, it explains how employers view it :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Katie Nx
I did just post a question about which degree I should do, however I wanted to ask about open degrees separately.
Is an open degree equivalent to a regular degree? I'm not sure how it works, but there are so many course options I feel like this would be an interesting choice to study.
If I were to achieve an "open degree" would employers recognise it? Especially for primary school teaching as this is the career I want and the whole point of doing a degree.
Any info would be appreciated! (Sorry if a similar question has already been asked before!)

Thanks

Agree with the above poster, the OU has a great reputation and is a fully accredited university, a degree from OU is exactly the same as any other and is graded in the same way. It would not prevent you from getting a place on a PGCE course or be detrimental to your application.
Employers should technically view it the same as any other degree however if this works in practice I don't know, I could imagine there is some ignorance regarding the validity of the OU. However there has been a lot of good press recently so hopefully it shouldn't be all negative. I would imagine that schools would be particularly sensitive to this and would be one of the areas it matters the least.
Reply 3
Oh brill, thank you both for your answers! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hello

For ou application)

I have just received a confirmation letter for a course and a financial support application in the post, i have already applied for student finance online. Will i need to send the application i got from the post as well?

And i think i made a mistake on the section 'Household', i do not own the house i live with my parents and my brother, As there was not an option for 'brother or sister or siblings' (they are over 18) I did not mention this. Will my application be rejected!? (I only mentioned my parents who own the house i am living in)

Please reply, thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest