The Student Room Group

the gym made it HARDER to sleep?

On the advice of people I went to the gym yesterday around 5. I finished my workout 6 and was home at half 6. I felt more relaxed and horny in the evening proud of myself.
i went to bed at 12 and couldn't fall asleep until 3. I now feel tired and achey but both my muscles and mood are worse than before :-/ I ferl no benefit, no growth or strengthening, quite the opposite.
This happens most days I've been to the gym. I think it's a sign I'm a bad person for going. As said it happens at least once a week but sometimes up to 3 or 4 times a week.

I'm getting more and more frustrated by this, I follow GP's advice on sleep hygiene, get sunlight, try my best to exercise, quit caffeine for finals, don't study in bed (except for casually reading novels I'll use in exams), what do I keep doing wrong?

Oh I had a yoghurt at half 8 which may be excess sugar
(edited 9 years ago)
you probably stressed yourself out so much with guilt over the gym you didn't sleep

or its pure coincidence
Did you "release" your horniness before going to sleep?

(serious question)

Edit: Come to think of it, it probably is the guilt rather than working out-If I miss a workout, I fee guilt and sleep badly until I don't :colondollar:

so it's similar and different at the same time :cool:
(edited 9 years ago)
Its nothing to do with the gym
Original post by Riku
On the advice of people I went to the gym yesterday around 5. I finished my workout 6 and was home at half 6. I felt more relaxed and horny in the evening proud of myself.
i went to bed at 12 and couldn't fall asleep until 3. I now feel tired and achey but both my muscles and mood are worse than before :-/ I ferl no benefit, no growth or strengthening, quite the opposite.
This happens most days I've been to the gym. I think it's a sign I'm a bad person for going. As said it happens at least once a week but sometimes up to 3 or 4 times a week.

I'm getting more and more frustrated by this, I follow GP's advice on sleep hygiene, get sunlight, try my best to exercise, quit caffeine for finals, don't study in bed (except for casually reading novels I'll use in exams), what do I keep doing wrong?

Oh I had a yoghurt at half 8 which may be excess sugar
Why did you have to mention this? :jester:

Savour that horniness by the way. I don't get that after the gym anymore. When I first started lifting weights (about 3 years ago now), I would get MEGA-horny after the gym. I don't get that anymore. Is that normal or not?

You won't see progress straight away. Exercise hard in the gym, eat lots out of the gym (and by lots, I do mean lots - you have to force yourself to eat more) and go to bed at a regular time. You should be falling asleep easily.
Reply 5
I think it was guilt

btw yo radical one I got my testosterone results back. 16.6 :-S apparently normal rannge nahh
Reply 6
Original post by Bassetts
Why did you have to mention this? :jester:

Savour that horniness by the way. I don't get that after the gym anymore. When I first started lifting weights (about 3 years ago now), I would get MEGA-horny after the gym. I don't get that anymore. Is that normal or not?

You won't see progress straight away. Exercise hard in the gym, eat lots out of the gym (and by lots, I do mean lots - you have to force yourself to eat more) and go to bed at a regular time. You should be falling asleep easily.

I mention it because i'm not sure whether lack of libido depresses me/stresses me out or the other way around :tongue:
Reply 7
If it is not making you feel good then stop it that would be better for you.
Reply 8
Original post by Riku
I think it was guilt

btw yo radical one I got my testosterone results back. 16.6 :-S apparently normal rannge nahh

16.6 free test is pretty normal around our age. Even by my "we should all have above 700ng/dl test" standards

Working out late can affect your sleep especially if you have anxiety problems it augments the adrenaline from your anxiety. Do it early enough to not affect your sleep.
Reply 9
Original post by tooosh
16.6 free test is pretty normal around our age. Even by my "we should all have above 700ng/dl test" standards

Working out late can affect your sleep especially if you have anxiety problems it augments the adrenaline from your anxiety. Do it early enough to not affect your sleep.

That's a relief. I thought it was the v low end of normal
It might not be the workkout mate. It might be finals stress I'm ****ting bricks.
Also my dad insists on us playing badminton 9-10pm as any other time is too early for his mate
Reply 10
Original post by Riku
That's a relief. I thought it was the v low end of normal
It might not be the workkout mate. It might be finals stress I'm ****ting bricks.
Also my dad insists on us playing badminton 9-10pm as any other time is too early for his mate

It's never just one thing. It's everything added up, just some things might be more prominent than others.

Don't play badminton then. Just say you can't be arsed if he wants a reason.
Reply 11
Original post by tooosh
It's never just one thing. It's everything added up, just some things might be more prominent than others.

Don't play badminton then. Just say you can't be arsed if he wants a reason.

Well the stress and lack of sleep is killing mah gains! Is that normal?
Reply 12
Original post by Riku
Well the stress and lack of sleep is killing mah gains! Is that normal?

It's normal that it's happening.

Sometimes I have terrible sleep and it definitely affects my gains.

But you shouldn't use that as an excuse. Make adjustments to your lifting plan, but not more than you have to.

Quick Reply

Latest