The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

stirling applicants for MSc 2014?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CFC67
Applied Social Research starting in September

Does anyone know what the situation is with private accommodation for international students? That's my biggest concern at the moment, as I don't have a UK based guarantor. Maybe private landlords would be willing to negotiate?

I'd head over to Shelter Scotland's website; (http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/) and have a look. I've found it very useful when moving in the past when I wasn't working FT or didn't have a guarantor.

Property law here is different than the rest of the UK so it's worth a look.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 21
Original post by pm0128
I currently live about 5 miles from campus so am looking to move within walking distance to cut down my fuel costs.

I'd love to move into Uni accommodation but after living in flats for so long & alone I don't think I could adapt back into that environment :biggrin:

Riverside is a nice area, I've had a couple of properties there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree that walking distance would be fab - but I've been drawn in that beautiful river view haha! I've giving up my job and work car for this degree so I foresee a lot of bus trips in my future!

I know what you mean, I think I'm too set in my ways to deal with the paper thin uni accommodation walls along with not being able to choose your flat mates if you're applying alone - I'm too much of a control freak compared to my teens!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by drmc
MSc Clinical Dermatology! Wish to stay at Liberty House... Whose with me ?

Hai drmc.Im also going to do MSc Clinical Dermatology (Sep 2014-15).Im not looking for a housemate...but came across you when i was searching for students on the same course.
Reply 23
Original post by Preya24
Hai drmc.Im also going to do MSc Clinical Dermatology (Sep 2014-15).Im not looking for a housemate...but came across you when i was searching for students on the same course.

oh hey KP!
Reply 24
MSc Strategic Communication and Public Relations (Joint Degree with Pompeu Fabra)... starting this fall... anyone else enrolling in the same program?
Reply 25
Original post by himalee
MSc Strategic Communication and Public Relations (Joint Degree with Pompeu Fabra)... starting this fall... anyone else enrolling in the same program?

I am! Just the standard masters though, not joint. Are you looking forward to it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Very much so. It seems like a very comprehensive course and very interesting too. Besides for someone like me who has worked in the Public Relations industry it sort off adds more perspective too!
Reply 27
Original post by himalee
Very much so. It seems like a very comprehensive course and very interesting too. Besides for someone like me who has worked in the Public Relations industry it sort off adds more perspective too!

Yeah it def looks like one of the better ones! I'm coming from a journo background so I'm excited to learn the perspective of the 'other side' of things so to speak! 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unconditional for MSc Social work Studies :smile:
MSc Aquatic Pathobiology- it seems much cheaper to live off campus if anyone is interested?...
Hallo,

I'm so happy to have found this page. I am going to do MSc Behavioural Science for Management. Super excited, don't know what to do for accommodation though.
I got an offer for Alexander Court Townhouses but I am not sure whether to accept since it is so expensive. As I am an international student I am not able to come to Stirling before I am actually moving there so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions/comments on whether to move on Campus or not?! Is it really worth it (e.g. is getting there complicated/time-consuming,...)? Plus, since most of the private accommodations do not include gas, water and electricity; does anyone have any indications on what you approximately pay for water, gas and electricity in a private room (I am wondering if it is that much to make the difference b/w uni accomm and private. I am German and here uni accomm is normally much cheaper (+ugly + hard to get in) than renting privately).

I am happy for any answers (and happy to find anyone else starting the Msc Behavioural Science in September).

Kerstin
Reply 31
Original post by kerstin219
Hallo,

I'm so happy to have found this page. I am going to do MSc Behavioural Science for Management. Super excited, don't know what to do for accommodation though.
I got an offer for Alexander Court Townhouses but I am not sure whether to accept since it is so expensive. As I am an international student I am not able to come to Stirling before I am actually moving there so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions/comments on whether to move on Campus or not?! Is it really worth it (e.g. is getting there complicated/time-consuming,...)? Plus, since most of the private accommodations do not include gas, water and electricity; does anyone have any indications on what you approximately pay for water, gas and electricity in a private room (I am wondering if it is that much to make the difference b/w uni accomm and private. I am German and here uni accomm is normally much cheaper (+ugly + hard to get in) than renting privately).

I am happy for any answers (and happy to find anyone else starting the Msc Behavioural Science in September).

Kerstin

Hi Kerstin,

I've sent you a PM, as I'm also German and in a very similar situation.
Reply 32
Hey! I'm looking to rent privately as well, however, I only need to let a place for about 5 months since the second semester of my course is in Barcelona. Would any of you be interested in buddying up and renting together? Do let me know. Thanks. Himalee
Hey,

I'm so happy to have found this page.
I'm going to do the MSc Behavioural Science for Management and am already excited.
Still don't know what to do about the accommodation though. I got an offer for the Alexander Court Townhouses but I am still hesitating because of the price and partly because of sharing a kitchen with nine people could become interesting :smile: Since I am an international student and wasn't able to visit the area I don't know where best to move and whether it is complicated/time consuming to get to Uni if you live outside campus. Plus, does anybody know how much you have to approximately calculate with for water, gas and electricity for a room in a shared accommodation. It is amazing how much cheaper they are than Uni accomm that I am wondering what will be added through this (I am German and here Uni accommodation is normally far cheaper (+ugly +hard to get in) than renting privately...). Is there anyone who has some references/indications?
Thanks for your help.

AND; is there anybody who will also do the MSc Behavioural Sciences?

Kerstin
Reply 34
Hey Kerstin,
I am note sure whether that helps but I'll just tell you about my experience with accommodation in the UK. I studied in Lancaster for a year and stayed on campus. Most of my friends lived in uni acc as well, but those that didn't paid around the same amount as I did. So I think in some cases it doesn't make a huge difference financially. The uni acommodation I stayed in was alright. Definitely not as nice as many dorms in Austria but definitely sufficient for my needs.
I myself got a place in Thistle Chambers, which is in town but it's the cheapest postgrad accommodation and you only share the kitchen with 5-6 people, bathroom with around 2 other people. I think that sounds quite reasonable.
Original post by kerstin219
Hey,

I'm so happy to have found this page.
I'm going to do the MSc Behavioural Science for Management and am already excited.
Still don't know what to do about the accommodation though. I got an offer for the Alexander Court Townhouses but I am still hesitating because of the price and partly because of sharing a kitchen with nine people could become interesting :smile: Since I am an international student and wasn't able to visit the area I don't know where best to move and whether it is complicated/time consuming to get to Uni if you live outside campus. Plus, does anybody know how much you have to approximately calculate with for water, gas and electricity for a room in a shared accommodation. It is amazing how much cheaper they are than Uni accomm that I am wondering what will be added through this (I am German and here Uni accommodation is normally far cheaper (+ugly +hard to get in) than renting privately...). Is there anyone who has some references/indications?
Thanks for your help.

AND; is there anybody who will also do the MSc Behavioural Sciences?

Kerstin
Reply 35
Original post by juudit
Hey Kerstin,
I am note sure whether that helps but I'll just tell you about my experience with accommodation in the UK. I studied in Lancaster for a year and stayed on campus. Most of my friends lived in uni acc as well, but those that didn't paid around the same amount as I did. So I think in some cases it doesn't make a huge difference financially. The uni acommodation I stayed in was alright. Definitely not as nice as many dorms in Austria but definitely sufficient for my needs.
I myself got a place in Thistle Chambers, which is in town but it's the cheapest postgrad accommodation and you only share the kitchen with 5-6 people, bathroom with around 2 other people. I think that sounds quite reasonable.

Hi,
I got a place in Thistle chambers too. I do think having all other bills taking care of with the accomodation is a relief. All in all, it should be an OK experience.
Reply 36
Original post by gmakpo
Hi,
I got a place in Thistle chambers too. I do think having all other bills taking care of with the accomodation is a relief. All in all, it should be an OK experience.

Cool, what flat are you in?
Reply 37
Original post by juudit
Cool, what flat are you in?

Flat 1. You?
Reply 38
Me too :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by juudit
Me too :smile:

Hey juudit,
Looks like we are going to be flatmates. its nice to meet someone I'll be living with. See you next month then. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending