The Student Room Group

Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores after 'strong demand' from Muslim

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miser
I'm not saying I think it's prudent, but owners of Subway think it is. If I personally were to speculate I'd say it probably was. I think most people don't really care so much, so even if Ireland had less than 50,000 Muslims, Subway would be losing fewer customers than they have the potential to gain. But I don't have access to the data Subway owners do.

Then I'll guess we'll have to see how it pans out. I think it will be detrimental though. All they had to do is make both options available. Considering they run on the principle of "have it your way", I don't see what the problem is with just specifying if you don't want bacon or ham.
Interesting, this again! So subway makes a business decision to maximise their own profits, and suddenly its the "Muslims" fault, and they're being told to "go back to their own country". Nice to see who's xenophobic and racist on TSR. Just goes to show the why the Daily Mail is still in demand, the British are still very racist.
Original post by SmashingChap
er probably shot themselves in the foot as everyone who dislikes recent religious practises entering the public area will now boycott it for a while.

Fixed for you.

This meant to be a secular country, and yet people act as if they're having their human rights abused because they want to eat meat from animals which was prepared as if this is the medieval middle east with no refrigeration and extremely hot temperatures.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
Well, at least I won't be the odd one out of my friends for disliking Subway anymore. :tongue:
Reply 44
Original post by Freier._.lance
Interesting, this again! So subway makes a business decision to maximise their own profits, and suddenly its the "Muslims" fault, and they're being told to "go back to their own country". Nice to see who's xenophobic and racist on TSR. Just goes to show the why the Daily Mail is still in demand, the British are still very racist.

Ahem.

"Strong demand" from Muslims
As it's a franchise, I suspect - as ever with the Daily Heil - that the facts are somewhat different.

There are about a dozen in the local franchise. Only one does all Halal meat.
Original post by CJKay
Ahem.

Ahem, I don't remember any recent Muslim riots over Subway menus? If there were, I apologise, I obviously missed them.
Original post by CJKay
Ahem.

You're not the owner of subway so this is none of your business. Some areas are inhabited mostly by Muslims and if subway believes by catering to the food in demand in that area will help increase their profits then so be it. If you want to eat your bacon or ham then go buy it from a store that CHOSE to sell it. How is you dictating to a private company on what it SHOULD be serving acceptable?
Don't rolls those eyes at me missy :rolleyes:

I shall indeed, no-one told anyone to go back to their own country.
There was also no racism either :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And I laugh at anyone who says it's a business decision. 96% of the population do not require halal meat, and replacing it completely (rather than as a side option) is simply pandering.

Although I would fully support a move to make the ban on non-stunned meat complete rather than have religious exceptions. Animal welfare should come above such piffle.
Same with any meat from the EU which imo needs to be banned till they raise their standards to at least match those of British meat.
Why to we have to pander to Muslim needs? This is NOT a Muslim nation.
Reply 50
I don't get it. I'm a vegetarian, but I don't require shops to remove their meat, I just don't go in them. Weird and annoying.
Original post by marinaim

And I laugh at anyone who says it's a business decision. 96% of the population do not require halal meat, and replacing it completely (rather than as a side option) is simply pandering.

It would be pandering if this targeted all the stores in the UK. It didn't though, anyone who says it isn't a business decision which will help boost subway sales is, no offence, extremely naiive. When you're a bit older you may understand how businesses work. They are a business, they have no need to change the way all their stores work, only those in Muslim majority areas in the UK. :wink:
Free Market at work.

Maximising profits in Muslim areas like other fast good joints makes sense. I am suprised they didn't do it earlier
Original post by marinaim
I shall indeed, no-one told anyone to go back to their own country.
There was also no racism either :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Although I would fully support a move to make the ban on non-stunned meat complete rather than have religious exceptions. Animal welfare should come above such piffle.
Same with any meat from the EU which imo needs to be banned till they raise their standards to at least match those of British meat.

They chose to do this only in areas with large Muslim populations so that the locals have more options and since pork isn't very popular in these neighbourhoods for obvious reasons and won't sell as well, they then decided to remove it from the menu and replace it with another option which they believe will sell better and therefore increasing their profit margin. How is that so hard to understand?
What about vegetarian? Do they have to stop serving meat to respect vegetarian?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jebedee
They removed them from Irish restaurants also. Ireland has less than 50,000 Muslims in the whole country. Does that seem like a prudent business move to you?

I don't think they have removed it from Irish subways. Do you live in Ireland ?
It would be pandering if this targeted all the stores in the UK. It didn't though, anyone who says it isn't a business decision which will help boost subway sales is, no offence, extremely naiive. When you're a bit older you may understand how businesses work. They are a business, they have no need to change the way all their stores work, only those in Muslim majority areas in the UK. :wink:

There is no need to completely replace, so yes it is still pandering. If they had added halal to their selection then it would make more business sense, and that would not be pandering.
I know what you're saying, but no. I do know how businesses work. And as above, there is no need and no sense to do so.
It's not even real 'halal'. Therefore my point still stands.

Original post by FedUpCitizen
They chose to do this only in areas with large Muslim populations so that the locals have more options and since pork isn't very popular in these neighbourhoods for obvious reasons and won't sell as well, they then decided to remove it from the menu and replace it with another option which they believe will sell better and therefore increasing their profit margin. How is that so hard to understand?

As above - why wouldn't I get the option to have non halal? There is no sense apart from being pandering ninnys.
If they didn't sell well they wouldn't have them in the first place, they make as much as they need to based on their demand. It's just mindless pandering ahh.
And sorry, not going to believe that toss haha.
Reply 57
Original post by rockrunride
Subway is a franchise, it is up to the owner of the shop to sell goods how he or she pleases.

This is not correct. Subway is pretty damn controlling about what must and what must not be sold in its franchises. You can't introduce new stuff and you can't stop selling any of the stuff on their basic list. They had a fit when the store in Copenhagen was selling curry sauce as a dressing (because Danish people always want curry sauce) and it had to be removed, despite that then meaning that approximately every tenth customer was disappointed and complained (even when they had no idea that Subway used to offer it - it's just standard in Danish food places for curry sauce to be an option due to its popularity).

Edit: On the topic of the actual thread - it's ridiculous. The Subways round here shut recently and I was looking forward to getting a sub when I visited home. I'd have thought that the ones where I come from will have kept the real ham and bacon though. I'm quite shocked at the ignorance in this thread of the indisputable fact that bacon and cheese on a sub makes the sub better at least half the time. And also that the Subway Melt is king, occasionally displaced on the throne by the Italian BMT.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by P.Kaur
I don't get it. I'm a vegetarian, but I don't require shops to remove their meat, I just don't go in them. Weird and annoying.

Well you don't need to. But if a significant proportion of the population in your area were vegetarians then subway would remove meat options and replace it with other vegetarian options to maximize profits.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Time for a boycott methinks :hand:

I would have thought the availability of halal foods (alongside normal food) would have been enough to satisfy everyone.

Why can't they just let people have the choice between halal and non-halal? :erm:

EDIT: My local Subway store isn't taking part. Bacon lives on... :colone:

Going by most of the stores I've been in, that simply wouldn't be practical. They'd have to literally have two seperate areas for storing the meats, one for halal and one for non-halal, and most of their stores don't have the space. Plus it would take up a lot of time - they'd probably have to ask each and every individual customer whether they prefer their meat halal or non-halal, otherwise they'd no doubt receive complaints from people who didn't state a preference and were just given one or the other. At the end of the day, most non-Muslims simply don't know or care if their meat is halal or not and will eat it anyway, so there is little reason for Subway to cater exclusively to the small minority who oppose halal.

P.S. there is nothing more "normal" about the way you prefer animals to be killed before you eat them compared to the way Muslims prefer them to be killed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending