The Student Room Group

Do you HAVE to quote in your essays?

I've been writing my drama essays recently without any quotes, just referring to general ideas discussed by the author and going into detail. I.e Relating to question, stating why it is necessary and what it means.

My teacher has been marking them and I'm getting As and Bs, but I forgot to actually ask if it was ok. I'm guessing he didn't even notice there weren't any quotes.
So to just double check, before I get awarded a 7/25, are quotes compulsory? 😂
Original post by ryanicus
I've been writing my drama essays recently without any quotes, just referring to general ideas discussed by the author and going into detail. I.e Relating to question, stating why it is necessary and what it means.

My teacher has been marking them and I'm getting As and Bs, but I forgot to actually ask if it was ok. I'm guessing he didn't even notice there weren't any quotes.
So to just double check, before I get awarded a 7/25, are quotes compulsory?

I was always taught that you had to quote. Providing evidence is an integral part of making a literary argument.
We asked our teacher the same question. He said that it would be very risky to do so but technically you should be allowed with no problem as long as you provide some form of evidence. If I were you I would use a mixture of quote and non quote points. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by tinababy
We asked our teacher the same question. He said that it would be very risky to do so but technically you should be allowed with no problem as long as you provide some form of evidence. If I were you I would use a mixture of quote and non quote points. :smile:

Fantastic, thanks a lot :biggrin: Hopefully there's no problem with that- I'll make sure to memorise a few things in the 2 hours I have left before bed time :wink:
Original post by ryanicus
Fantastic, thanks a lot :biggrin: Hopefully there's no problem with that- I'll make sure to memorise a few things in the 2 hours I have left before bed time :wink:

Haha :smile: You could just remember a couple of really short ones and put them into your points just to tick that aspect off in case the marker is really picky and then expand more on the info in the main bit of your point. Whatever you decide to do you'll be fine. :wink:
Good luck for your exam!:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by tinababy
Haha :smile: You could just remember a couple of really short ones and put them into your points just to tick that aspect off in case the marker is really picky and then expand more on the info in the main bit of your point. Whatever you decide to do you'll be fine. :wink:
Good luck for your exam!:smile:

Good call, I'll throw in some delusional patter from big Willy Loman in DoaS. Just to be safe. Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it! :smile: Thankyouuuuu!
No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending