The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Praying for some nice long momentum, circular motion and particle physics questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone outline how Rutherfords experiment disproved Thompsons (Plum pudding) model?

Original post by Schraderrr
Can someone outline how Rutherfords experiment disproved Thompsons (Plum pudding) model?

(I'm really not a genius here, so bare with)

Rutherfords conclusions -
1) Most of atom empty space - concluded from a result of most a particles passing straight through the golden foil.
2) Most of mass located in nucleus/nucleus very dense explains why very few were deflected about 180 deg. -Nucleus is also very small!! (only repelled 180 by direct hit)
3) Some a parts were deflected by >90 deg which would suggest that the atom was charged/electrically charged.

Whereas;
The way in which the Pudding model explained the build of electrons located in the positively charged circle meant that it would not be a large enough charge to cause significant deflection.

I don't see how else you can relate the two together to contrast them.

Sorry if I have completely dodged the question, I'm quite political like that!
Original post by Arazamataz
(I'm really not a genius here, so bare with)

Rutherfords conclusions -
1) Most of atom empty space - concluded from a result of most a particles passing straight through the golden foil.
2) Most of mass located in nucleus/nucleus very dense explains why very few were deflected about 180 deg. -Nucleus is also very small!! (only repelled 180 by direct hit)
3) Some a parts were deflected by >90 deg which would suggest that the atom was charged/electrically charged.

Whereas;
The way in which the Pudding model explained the build of electrons located in the positively charged circle meant that it would not be a large enough charge to cause significant deflection.

I don't see how else you can relate the two together to contrast them.

Sorry if I have completely dodged the question, I'm quite political like that!

Thats perfect! thanks :smile:
Reply 64
Has anybody found any good online revision tools? My unit 4 revision has been slacking because I have been revising for my retakes.. I tried to do a unit 4 paper today and felt like any knowledge i once had is gone :frown:
I know this is trivial, but my revision book is out of arms length.. whats the correct answer?

7 A cyclist travels along a straight horizontal road at a steady speed. A net force of 20 N
is then applied for 6 s. The change in momentum of the cyclist is?

A 3.3 kg m s–1
B 26 kg m s–1
C 120 kg m s–1
D 720 kg m s–1
I know this is trivial, but my revision book is out of arms length.. whats the correct answer?

7 A cyclist travels along a straight horizontal road at a steady speed. A net force of 20 N

A 3.3 kg m s–1
B 26 kg m s–1
C 120 kg m s–1
D 720 kg m s–1

C. 120 kgms^-1

Posted from TSR Mobile
9 An alpha particle and a beta particle both move into the same uniform magnetic field
which is perpendicular to their direction of motion. The beta particle travels at
15 times the speed of the alpha particle.
The ratio of the force on the beta particle to the force on the alpha particle is
A 3.7
B 7.5
C 30
D 60

how would you do this question too?
Original post by Jaydude

was that using F=m*v/t
9 An alpha particle and a beta particle both move into the same uniform magnetic field
which is perpendicular to their direction of motion. The beta particle travels at
15 times the speed of the alpha particle.
The ratio of the force on the beta particle to the force on the alpha particle is
A 3.7
B 7.5
C 30
D 60

how would you do this question too?

F=bqv
F(alpha) = b(2)(1v)
F(beta) = b(1)(15v)

F(beta\alpha) = 15/2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoshThomas
F=bqv
F(alpha) = b(2)(1v)
F(beta) = b(1)(15v)

F(beta\alpha) = 15/2

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks!
was that using F=m*v/t

Am I right?

No, F=change in momentum over time. Rearrange to get change in momentum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
anyone for websites? :frown:
Original post by 'nicole
anyone for websites? :frown:

Could try "S cool revision". I think it's called that. Don't you have any textbooks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Original post by Jaydude
Could try "S cool revision". I think it's called that. Don't you have any textbooks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks I'll have a look at s cool now and in all honesty... i dont have a clue where my textbook is -.-
Reply 75
Found it :d
Original post by Jaydude
Am I right?

No, F=change in momentum over time. Rearrange to get change in momentum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep you were right!
I suck at writing questions I'm only good at calculations o.o if someone could help that'd be nice!

unnamed.jpg

Jan 2013 unit 4

P.S If anyone has really useful resources or know any videos that'd be nice :3
Can anyone explain the term leptons, hadrons???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79

A 3.3 kg m s–1
B 26 kg m s–1
C 120 kg m s–1
D 720 kg m s–1

F=dp/dt -> dp = F×dt = 20N × 6s = 120 kgm/s (C)

Latest

Trending

Trending