The Student Room Group

How can you tell when you *like* someone?

The title says all, but I'll add some context for why I feel I need to ask this.

There's a girl that I know at uni. She's part of my social group and we get along pretty well. However, after the past 3-4 months I find I'm wanting to spend more time with her, and only her. Sometimes my thoughts wonder and normally end up at her. Whenever I see her I feel very happy for no particular reason other than just seeing her. When she feels sad, I feel sad, and when she's happy I'm also happy. All fine and dandy. However, I don't feel very nervous or get the "butterflies" that a lot of people talk about feeling when they *like* someone when I talk to her or spend time with her.

So, my question is, how do you KNOW when you like someone?

Any stories, context, thoughts, whatever would be helpful.

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

i don't really understand where the difficulty lies, to be honest.

when you're with her, do you find yourself wanting to kiss her? touch her? do you ever think of her in a sexual capacity?
Reply 2
Original post by Slazenger
i don't really understand where the difficulty lies, to be honest.

when you're with her, do you find yourself wanting to kiss her? touch her? do you ever think of her in a sexual capacity?

Sometimes... :colondollar:
Original post by Anonymous
Sometimes... :colondollar:

then where exactly is your difficulty in grasping the situation?
Reply 4
then where exactly is your difficulty in grasping the situation?

Well, sometimes I see other girls around campus and think similar thoughts, so I end up just feeling confused.
Well, sometimes I see other girls around campus and think similar thoughts, so I end up just feeling confused.

how old are you?
Reply 6
how old are you?

Sounds like you've got a pretty basic-level crush on her. :lol: I never really had butterflies as such, it was more the feeling you get on a rollercoaster before it goes down a dip.
Reply 8
BUMP
The title says all, but I'll add some context for why I feel I need to ask this.

There's a girl that I know at uni. She's part of my social group and we get along pretty well. However, after the past 3-4 months I find I'm wanting to spend more time with her, and only her. Sometimes my thoughts wonder and normally end up at her. Whenever I see her I feel very happy for no particular reason other than just seeing her. When she feels sad, I feel sad, and when she's happy I'm also happy. All fine and dandy. However, I don't feel very nervous or get the "butterflies" that a lot of people talk about feeling when they *like* someone when I talk to her or spend time with her.

So, my question is, how do you KNOW when you like someone?

Any stories, context, thoughts, whatever would be helpful.

:smile:

I am a girl but I think it would be similar?

When you start to feel self-concious around her (starting to put more time on improving your appearance). You feel happy and excited knowing you will see her. When you feel like something is missing if she is absent. When there is a crowd and you find yourself looking for her in the crowd and you don't really care if the others are there. You think of her unconsciously all the time. You can't stop noticing her, anything about her. When you think of her you smile to yourself. You can't look at her in her eyes (not sure though if this applies to everyone). You feel nervous talking to her. Your voice changes when you talk to her. You pay attention to her gestures and reactions. You look at her whenever you have the chance without her noticing. You start noticing what she wears. You replay your conversation with her a hundred times in your mind. You look at the photos you both taken together frequently. If she looks particularly sad/happy on a particular day, you will try to search for the reason. You always imagine yourself bumping into her somewhere else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Heh. Go with your heart not your head.
Original post by james1211
Heh. Go with your heart not your head.

but which head?
Are you sure about that?
Original post by Tootles
Are you sure about that?

Yes...does that seem plausible or would you like to see my birth certificate?
Original post by 2504003889
I am a girl but I think it would be similar?

When you start to feel self-concious around her (starting to put more time on improving your appearance). You feel happy and excited knowing you will see her. When you feel like something is missing if she is absent. When there is a crowd and you find yourself looking for her in the crowd and you don't really care if the others are there. You think of her unconsciously all the time. You can't stop noticing her, anything about her. When you think of her you smile to yourself. You can't look at her in her eyes (not sure though if this applies to everyone). You feel nervous talking to her. Your voice changes when you talk to her. You pay attention to her gestures and reactions. You look at her whenever you have the chance without her noticing. You start noticing what she wears. You replay your conversation with her a hundred times in your mind. You look at the photos you both taken together frequently. If she looks particularly sad/happy on a particular day, you will try to search for the reason. You always imagine yourself bumping into her somewhere else.

oh wow, I actually do every single one of those things :colondollar:
You get that gooey feeling in your stomach.
You can be attracted to more than one girl, you know. So there are a few girls you like the look of - start dating one and see if it develops into something more. When you care more about her happiness than your own you are in love.
Original post by Penguins&Pandas
oh wow, I actually do every single one of those things :colondollar:

Hahaha, congrats then! :wink:
For example, you're walking along, minding your own business, you're looking neither to the left, nor to the right.
All of a SUDDEN, you run smack into a pretty face!

You begin to get weak in the knees, your head's a WHIRL!
And then you feel light as a feather, and before you know it, you're walking on air.

And then you know what?
You're in for a loop, and you completely lose your head.

:wink:
Yes...does that seem plausible or would you like to see my birth certificate?
Showing me your birth certificate would defeat the object of anonymity.

The point in the question and the following double-check is that you don't seem to talk with the maturity which one may reasonably expect of someone as old as you claim to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending