The Student Room Group

Universities in England for Technical Theatre and Stage Management?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sierra-McC
I haven't been to any open days yet so it's difficult to know but I am thinking RADA or Bristol Old Vic :smile: I am doing sociology, psychology, geography and English lit A- levels as there wasn't any technical theatre courses that suited me :frown: But I have been doing lots of shows at school and in other theatres so hopefully that will be enough experience :smile: What are you studying at the moment? :smile:

I havent been to any open days yet either. I have one in June for LIPA but I'm unsure if I want to go there.
Do you have any particular areas you are interested in, stage, lighting, sound etc?
Thats a shame, at least you are getting the experience.

I study technical theatre :smile:
Original post by GemmaMM
I havent been to any open days yet either. I have one in June for LIPA but I'm unsure if I want to go there.
Do you have any particular areas you are interested in, stage, lighting, sound etc?
Thats a shame, at least you are getting the experience.

I study technical theatre :smile:

I have been thinking about LIPA but then I read the post saying it was a bit of a joke in the profession so even though I thought it looked alright I don't want to be caught out, will probably need to have more of a look. I have booked onto an open day at Rose Bruford in June though:smile:
I am interested in those those three so hoping for a degree in Stage Management and Technical Theatre, but have done a bit of scenic design too, how about you?
I have been thinking about LIPA but then I read the post saying it was a bit of a joke in the profession so even though I thought it looked alright I don't want to be caught out, will probably need to have more of a look. I have booked onto an open day at Rose Bruford in June though:smile:
I am interested in those those three so hoping for a degree in Stage Management and Technical Theatre, but have done a bit of scenic design too, how about you?

I have an open day for LIPA in June! I know someone who is going there though and she said in her interview they werent very nice. It's put me off because I can be quite shy and quiet with new people and If they're going to be snotty I won't feel comfortable going there. It's making me worry about uni all together! D:
Let me know what you think of Rose Bruford. I havent looked too much into it yet though.

I'm mainly interested in lighting and stage at the moment, thats why I'm looking for stage management courses :smile: I think thats mainly the area I'd like to work in :smile:

May I ask where abouts you are from?
Original post by GemmaMM
I have an open day for LIPA in June! I know someone who is going there though and she said in her interview they werent very nice. It's put me off because I can be quite shy and quiet with new people and If they're going to be snotty I won't feel comfortable going there. It's making me worry about uni all together! D:
Let me know what you think of Rose Bruford. I havent looked too much into it yet though.

I'm mainly interested in lighting and stage at the moment, thats why I'm looking for stage management courses :smile: I think thats mainly the area I'd like to work in :smile:

May I ask where abouts you are from?

i can can be shy to so that would defiantly put me off! I know that some places like Bristol Old Vic don't have open days, it is just based on the interview which isn't great but then some aren't through UCAS so there isn't a limit you can apply for which is good. Also some places give everyone an interview so that is a chance to have a look around :smile:
I am from Bedfordshire, what about you?
Reply 24
Hey,
I’m currently a tech theatre student at Guildhall, just so you know it’s a great place to study and there is some crossover between SM and Tech Theatre.
Basically you pick one or the other to do as your main focus, then in first year you do three weeks in other areas (so if you were on the SM course you might do a week in Production Management, a week in Sound and Video, and a week in electrics. Or if you’re on the tech course like me, I did a Week of Construction, a week of Stage Management and a week of costume). Then in second and third year you can continue to do one of these for half a term. Just something to bear in mind if you are looking for a lot of crossover.
Mountview/LIPA/East15 can sometimes be seen as not as good, but most of the time it’s a bit of competitive snobbery between Drama schools. If they have the right course for you then don’t be put off by this. As long as you make the most of your time there it shouldn’t matter where you study.
Personally though I’d go for GSMD, not that i’m biased or anything :smile:

As for GSMD interviews they don’t particularly want to see a portfolio, they just want you to show a genuine interest in theatre and know why you want to do the course. If you can bring along some production pictures/plans then that’s great. I took a small folder with me that they flicked through during the interview, but they don’t need anything formal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mwade92
Hey,
I’m currently a tech theatre student at Guildhall, just so you know it’s a great place to study and there is some crossover between SM and Tech Theatre.
Basically you pick one or the other to do as your main focus, then in first year you do three weeks in other areas (so if you were on the SM course you might do a week in Production Management, a week in Sound and Video, and a week in electrics. Or if you’re on the tech course like me, I did a Week of Construction, a week of Stage Management and a week of costume). Then in second and third year you can continue to do one of these for half a term. Just something to bear in mind if you are looking for a lot of crossover.
Mountview/LIPA/East15 can sometimes be seen as not as good, but most of the time it’s a bit of competitive snobbery between Drama schools. If they have the right course for you then don’t be put off by this. As long as you make the most of your time there it shouldn’t matter where you study.

As for GSMD interviews they don’t particularly want to see a portfolio, they just want you to show a genuine interest in theatre and know why you want to do the course. If you can bring along some production pictures/plans then that’s great. I took a small folder with me that they flicked through during the interview, but they don’t need anything formal.

Hey, I have looked at Guildhall and will defiantly apply and see what happens. It is the first time E15 are running the course I am looking at so that is lower down on my list. Are there opportunities for experience at London theatres at Guildhall?
i can can be shy to so that would defiantly put me off! I know that some places like Bristol Old Vic don't have open days, it is just based on the interview which isn't great but then some aren't through UCAS so there isn't a limit you can apply for which is good. Also some places give everyone an interview so that is a chance to have a look around :smile:
I am from Bedfordshire, what about you?

Yeah, I've read on a couple of sites that you ring in to book a time to look around, but I think for many places I'd do that at the interview (If I get that far) as many of my choices are quite far away. :s-smilie: How many are you hoping to apply for Including UCAS?
I'm in Cumbria :smile:

Original post by mwade92
Hey,

What are the tutors like there?
I've been looking into LIPA a lot but I'm hearing only bad things recently :s-smilie: It's definitely moved down in my preference order.
I like the sound of getting a chance to work in different areas as I don't want to work only on one specific area. I think I will apply there ^_^ Thank you
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm thinking RADA, Central, Guildhall, LAMDA, Rose Bruford and Bristol Old Vic :smile:
Although, I looked on UCAS for technical theatre and all these results came up...
Colchester Institute
Birmingham City
University of Greenwich
Bath Spa
University of Cumbria
Northbrook college sussex
BIMM
ACM
Access to music
So will need to have a look at these to before applying :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Are there opportunities for experience at London theatres at Guildhall?

In third year you have to do 6 weeks doing a professional industry secondment - i’m currently arranging mine for the National- but that doesn’t mean that you can’t do other stuff over the first two years. Guildhall is a great name and people in the industry respect it so lots of students go out for shadowing on West End shows.

Original post by GemmaMM
What are the tutors like there?

They are all well respected in the industry so know what they’re talking about, but on top of that they are really lovely people to work with.
Reply 29
Original post by GemmaMM
Are you hoping to go for 2014 entry or 2015? :smile:

2015 entry :biggrin:
2015 :smile:
Reply 31
Is anyone going to the technical theatre open day at guildhall next Thursday?
Reply 32
Hey,
I'm going to LAMDA in September to do their SMTT course but I applied for RADA, Rose Bruford and Mountview as well.
I had a portfolio with pictures from productions I had worked on and cue sheets I had made. They looked at it at all of my interviews and most of them got me to explain what was in my portfolio and then asked me questions as I went through and it acted a bit like an ice-breaker.
Most of the questions were very similar at all of the interviews like why do you want to do stage management and why have you applied for this course. LAMDA and RADA did ask some technical questions but don't worry if you don't know all of the answers. At LAMDA I didn't know a lot of the answers but I just said I didn't and they were happy to explain the answer to me!
Just be yourself and don't worry about being shy (I am too!) they were all really friendly and didn't put too much pressure on me! Good luck! :smile:
I applied to Bristol Old Vic and LAMDA this year and I took a portfolio to both. It just gives you something to talk about, and you can explain what you've done in various productions and the like.

Original post by acook95
Hey,
I'm going to LAMDA in September to do their SMTT course but I applied for RADA, Rose Bruford and Mountview as well.
I had a portfolio with pictures from productions I had worked on and cue sheets I had made. They looked at it at all of my interviews and most of them got me to explain what was in my portfolio and then asked me questions as I went through and it acted a bit like an ice-breaker.
Most of the questions were very similar at all of the interviews like why do you want to do stage management and why have you applied for this course. LAMDA and RADA did ask some technical questions but don't worry if you don't know all of the answers. At LAMDA I didn't know a lot of the answers but I just said I didn't and they were happy to explain the answer to me!
Just be yourself and don't worry about being shy (I am too!) they were all really friendly and didn't put too much pressure on me! Good luck! :smile:

I might see you there! I'm on the shortlist.
Reply 34
Original post by just_smurfy
I applied to Bristol Old Vic and LAMDA this year and I took a portfolio to both. It just gives you something to talk about, and you can explain what you've done in various productions and the like.

I might see you there! I'm on the shortlist.

Good luck! Hope you hear soon :smile:
Original post by maikexo
Is anyone going to the technical theatre open day at guildhall next Thursday?

I am! :smile:
Reply 36
that's awesome, im going on my own so i might see you :smile:
Original post by maikexo
that's awesome, im going on my own so i might see you :smile:

How did you find it?? :smile:
Reply 38
I thought it was amazing, i literally loved everything about the school and about the course. I didnt expect it to be that good. Wbu?
Original post by maikexo
I thought it was amazing, i literally loved everything about the school and about the course. I didnt expect it to be that good. Wbu?

I don't have anywhere to compare it to yet as that was my first open day so it's difficult but the facilities seemed amazing and I think it was talking to the students that won me over because I wasn't amazingly impressed with the lecturers speeches, they seemed to be name dropping and talking about the building rather than the actual course. It was really interesting to see though and I love the connections with the Barbican! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest