The Student Room Group

Have the grads but didn't get in medicine.

Hi Everyone

I think it happens to many people that they have the grades but were unsuccessful.

Please share what you think would be the best option

Maybe wait another year? But
Might not get in again You'll have wasted two years. Is it better to do a degree in biomedical science then apply for graduate entry? Apply for foundation year rout to medicine?

What ucas extra courses can be a good idea.

Any advice or expedience would be much appreciated. I'm sure there are quite a lot of people in this position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take another year imo. I couldn't stand the thought of doing a biomed degree tbh.

Get feedback from unis and ace that UKCAT.
I'm in the final year of my own degree and my advice would be to take a year off rather than start a different degree. By the time you finish your degree, most people become ridiculously tired of it and don't want to continue with uni. You don't want to be another one of those people.

You'll likely have a better chance next year when you aren't waiting for your results. Your offers will probably be unconditional right from the beginning.
Reply 3
Thank you guys :-)

I'm trying to get As now. There were no extra ucas courses available for medicine so I have applied to Queen Mary University of London biomedical science as a back up in case I messed up my exams.
They say they have strengthened the route to barts and the London medical school for their biomedical science students and that many of their students gain places either in QM or elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Oxmaster
Hi Everyone

I think it happens to many people that they have the grades but were unsuccessful.

Please share what you think would be the best option

Maybe wait another year? But
Might not get in again You'll have wasted two years. Is it better to do a degree in biomedical science then apply for graduate entry? Apply for foundation year rout to medicine?

What ucas extra courses can be a good idea.

Any advice or expedience would be much appreciated. I'm sure there are quite a lot of people in this position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning to take a year off and apply for a 5th option which i'd be happy with, I'm predicted A*A*AA and for me nursing is going to be my 5th option for my reapplication but maybe for you you'd prefer biomed. By applying for a 5th you won't have wasted 2 years, only one. and as many people take a gap year that's not that significant really.
Reapplicants are far more succesful at gaining offers, i can't think of the stat i read but it was very positive.
Graduate medicine on the other hand is a far lower success rate with competition ratios of 60:1 applicants per place.
Reply 5
I 100% Agree with you.
If I applied next year does it have to be to the same institution to have higher chance? If not how a new university would notice I am reapplying? Does reapplying show commitment? Is that how the success rate is higher?
Reply 6
I 100% Agree with you.
If I applied next year does it have to be to the same institution to have higher chance? If not how a new university would notice I am reapplying? Does reapplying show commitment? Is that how the success rate is higher?

You don't need to reapply to the same uni's, in fact I would seriously suggest analyse why you didn't get offers and reapply accordingly.
Reapplying shows only the smallest amount of resilience and/or commitment. Commitment is exhibited far better through experiences such as long term volunteering.
Reply 7
I 100% Agree with you.

It's not really about applying again showing commitment it's more to do with having the grades which do somewhat speak for themselves and all the opportunities and experiences you can gain. For example in my gap I have a job as a carer and have lined up 4 voluntary jobs!
Reply 8
Thanks I see!
The thing is thought I'll be applying within 4 months and will wait a year to get in. So really I can only talk about whatever stuff I did in this 4 months rather than the full year I'm waiting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thank you I am beginning to feel more relaxed about .
I'm doing my advanced highers I have been predicted 3 As . If I didn't get all As what ill you guys recommend doing? Will biomedical science be my only option?

Any advice much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know why your applications this year were unsuccessful OP, have you sought feedback?
Reply 11
Your predictions are great are you going to apply to Oxford or Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hello crumpet
Yea it was ukcat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello crumpet
Yea it was ukcat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that is helpful at least. You know what you've got to do well in next time. Get your grades, then focus on blasting the ukcat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending