The Student Room Group

A-level subjects

Hi

I'm currently a GCSE student, taking my exams this year.
I going to be taking maths and further maths, biology and chemistry next year, but I'm undecided on my 4th choice- it's either geography or German.

I equally enjoy and am good at both subjects. I just want to know which subject would be more beneficial for both applying for a university (Russell group) and a job. There's also a high chance that I'll be dropping this subject after AS.

Thanks!:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mattoh
Hi

I going to be taking maths and further maths, biology and chemistry next year, but I'm undecided on my 4th choice- it's either geography or German.

I equally enjoy and am good at both subjects. I just want to know which subject would be more beneficial for both applying for a university (Russell group) and a job.

Either is fine, it really couldn't matter less. Take whichever you prefer.
Reply 2
I'm doing bio, chem, maths and geography this year and hopefully applying for medicine. Imo geography content isn't too hard and I'm guessing has less to revise than German (I've only done 4 topics). I'd go for the one that's gonna be easier to get an A in, as i think both are equally respected (however German May have more of a wow factor). But it's completely down to you.

P.s: I'd only take further maths if you really enjoy maths as most unis don't count it as a desperate a level. But again it's up to you.

Good luck in your exams and applying
Reply 3
Original post by Mattoh
Hi

I equally enjoy and am good at both subjects. I just want to know which subject would be more beneficial for both applying for a university (Russell group) and a job. There's also a high chance that I'll be dropping this subject after AS.

A note on further maths; basically all med schools will not count further maths.
However in terms of geography/ german i did both and geography is significantly easier! I got an A at German GCSE when i took it in year 9 (2ums off an A*). I ended up with a C at AS German but an A (full UMS) in geography!
Original post by Mattoh
Hi

It won't make a difference which one you choose. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest