The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS GeographyUnit 1: Global Challenges

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AyeshaAK
So it's all about learning the case studies for Unit 1 and Unit 2 and know how to answer questions. Would you say that past papers would really put your head around these questions cause they tend to be really confusing at times.

And you planned your Unit 2 past paper questions as in writing model answers? That's exactly how I've done it. :smile: My teacher has given me like booklets of past papers for all the topics that are part of global challenges, but none for Unit 2. Any tips for Unit 2 preparation? It coming up on the 16th urg..

The thing about Unit 1 is for the main 2 questions at the end, case studies are needed to explain your points, they will also be referenced in the GCSE style of questions at the start, but that will be your main compulsory case studies (California, Pilipphines, A8/UK Migration, UK/Spain Migration, Arctic and Africa).

Unit 2, the questions on your field work (which should have been done) will be almost the same, for coasts it'll be about either development, human impacts on sand dunes etc etc but they will incorporate your case studies. The unequal spaces will also incorporate your case studies. The questions are mostly the same but worded differently so look at them, spot a pattern and learn that, while also keeping a broad mind on what else you'll need to know just in case.

My teacher said that we can use London as a megacity case study, but it doesn't have a population of above 10 million ( definition of mega city) but she said I could use it for the purpose of the exam? Does anyone know if that's okay?

Could use London, but I am using LA for Urban to Rural as that has major problems with smog, water shortages and a growing population, while Mumbai for rural to urban with Dharavi as the slum which is in the center of it all. Stereotypical cities, with stereotypical problems, pulls and pushes.

Oh course I was taught it all a year ago so I will be focusing on the stuff I really do not know this weekend (Mega Cites, Migration, TNCs) while going over and reinforcing the stuff I do know (World at risk, climate change). Again as I said I am good at physical geography but not human geography.
Ughhh unit 1 is my first exam and I want to study Geography BSc at uni D: Good luck everyone!!!!!!!! :smile:
Reply 22
Any case studies for post colonial migration?
Reply 23
Original post by muzika
I cant give you advise on unit 1 as I hate this unit just because of all these little 3/5 mark questions. I'm just praying for a nice exam paper this years because last summer it is was not so good.

Plus I think something to do with tropical cyclones, ageing population or 'tipping point'' going to come up this year.

Yeah looking at June 2013 it was not that good.

For the human part, I'm thinking alot would be on urban sustainability tbh
Reply 24
I hope sustainability is not on it. I hate it.

Last summers wasn't so bad I did it and got a high C. The Sunspot question messed people up in my class but I was a small question. Like I've said before Human geography is my worst enemy. I hate all the questions as you can say anything and it would depend on the marker if you get a mark for the valid point or not. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Well my geography teacher gave us a sheet of topics that can come up and what we should revise.

-terminology of hydro logical cycle
-sunspots and links to climate change
-know why data from tree rings, diaries etc is unreliable/incomplete
- ecosystems of Arctic
- post colonial migration with appropriate detailed case study
- urban and global problems plus sustainability
- differences between urban and global environmental problems
- clarify meaning of 'population structure' and 'population characteristics'
Reply 26
Original post by Lee17
I hope sustainability is not on it. I hate it.

Last summers wasn't so bad I did it and got a high C. The Sunspot question messed people up in my class but I was a small question. Like I've said before Human geography is my worst enemy. I hate all the questions as you can say anything and it would depend on the marker if you get a mark for the valid point or not. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just want 50/65 on section A and 20 on section B.

But the 5 markers **** me over
Reply 27
Original post by muzika
Well my geography teacher gave us a sheet of topics that can come up and what we should revise.

- ecosystems of Arctic

Thank you for sharing the info. Our Geog teachers said learn everything! How did you teacher come up with a list? I am going crazy as I can't remember anything I am learning. I keep on looking at the papers and I haven't done that many as it all takes time and I also have Economics on Tuesday!
Reply 28
Original post by muzika

- ecosystems of Arctic

Good list, but I really do not think sun spots will be on there because it was on last year and it's a small specification on it. If anything I may just be the natural causes for Climate Change.

Original post by Pistol 33

The same here, I'll get 4/5 for them which if I do that on every one I will get a C... when I want a B so stand me in good stead for my Unit 3 and 4 exam I hate in a months time.

I know what you mean. I find it hard to get all the marks :/
Reply 30
So it's all about learning the case studies for Unit 1 and Unit 2 and know how to answer questions. Would you say that past papers would really put your head around these questions cause they tend to be really confusing at times.

And you planned your Unit 2 past paper questions as in writing model answers? That's exactly how I've done it. :smile: My teacher has given me like booklets of past papers for all the topics that are part of global challenges, but none for Unit 2. Any tips for Unit 2 preparation? It coming up on the 16th urg..

The info your teacher has given you on Unit 1 does it have model answers to the questions? If it does is there any way I could have a copy of it as I am rally struggling with Unit 1. Any help will be greatly appreciated.:smile:
Anyone taking this exam?

I am
Reply 32
Original post by chatty
Thank you for sharing the info. Our Geog teachers said learn everything! How did you teacher come up with a list? I am going crazy as I can't remember anything I am learning. I keep on looking at the papers and I haven't done that many as it all takes time and I also have Economics on Tuesday!

She said just by looking at examiner reports. Especially at weakness of long essay questions as this or something similar seems to come up in smaller questions.
Reply 33
Original post by chatty
The info your teacher has given you on Unit 1 does it have model answers to the questions? If it does is there any way I could have a copy of it as I am rally struggling with Unit 1. Any help will be greatly appreciated.:smile:

Do I dont have anything as I'm retaking this unit so this was the only and last lesson we had on unit 1. But I can check I may have same essays saved on my laptop from last year as now I havent practiced essay questions because its the easiest park of the exam for me.
"Explain how urban growth can lead to more people being at risk from flooding" 5 marks.

Thing is I know what to write... but sometimes I struggle.
For this question I would've talked about:
1) Urbanisation on floodplains could mean more damage economically/and people may have low vulnerability to cope.
2) Impermeable surfaces
3) Decreasing vegetation cover so less interception etc...

And I'd get stuck after this... What would you guys write??
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by muzika
Do I dont have anything as I'm retaking this unit so this was the only and last lesson we had on unit 1. But I can check I may have same essays saved on my laptop from last year as now I havent practiced essay questions because its the easiest park of the exam for me.

That would be great. Many thanks.:smile:
I was under the illusion that you needed to do 2 sets of questions in Section B and later realized that it was just in the my mock exams.

I think it's pretty easy, if you are prepared there will be no shock questions... I am aiming to get really high marks in this unit to make up for the other one...
Reply 37
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
"Explain how urban growth can lead to more people being at risk from flooding" 5 marks.

1) Urbanisation on floodplains could mean more damage economically/and people may have low vulnerability to cope.
2) Impermeable surfaces

Just give some examples, use more case studies or data.

Bangladesh is perfect. London can be used as developed area which is still vulnerable to flooding. etc
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie

2) Impermeable surfaces

Urban growth = Higher density hence more people at risk. (1 marks)

If you explain the impermeable surface one in more detail (e.g increased surface runoff) = (2 marks)

Decreased vegetation due to deforestation to make space for housing/settlement = less vegetation interception (2 marks)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending