The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS GeographyUnit 1: Global Challenges

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pankhap
My teacher said you can write about the Philippines or California, but i am not to sure if he's right or not.

Hey there, I'm taking the exam too. :smile:

I did that past paper as a mock back in January. When we went through it as a class, we looked at the mark scheme and it said that the Philippines and California could be used as examples. I lost quite a few marks there because I mentioned London, seeing as it specifically asked for a 'local' area. :frown:

It's absolutely ridiculous. They're practically halfway across the globe! Hardly local! Fingers crossed we don't get any questions like that in Monday's paper. :/
Original post by Causton97
Hey there, I'm taking the exam too. :smile:

I did that past paper as a mock back in January. When we went through it as a class, we looked at the mark scheme and it said that the Philippines and California could be used as examples. I lost quite a few marks there because I mentioned London, seeing as it specifically asked for a 'local' area. :frown:

It's absolutely ridiculous. They're practically halfway across the globe! Hardly local! Fingers crossed we don't get any questions like that in Monday's paper. :/

Oh okay
Time management, my teacher (who is an examiner trainer) said that we need at least 30 minutes for Section B, and never to write beyond what is 'expected'... i.e don't over write, only if you scribble etc.
Reply 63
If you're looking for something on people who disagree with global warming or if global warming doesn't exist:

The Great Global Warming Swindle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtevF4B4RtQ
Why do I find it so hard to understand the questions... when it's so simple? :frown:
I understand the theory and everything but I just have difficulty with the questions.
Reply 65
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Why do I find it so hard to understand the questions... when it's so simple? :frown:
I understand the theory and everything but I just have difficulty with the questions.

5 markers. Its the 5 markers.
Original post by Hody421
Time management, my teacher (who is an examiner trainer) said that we need at least 30 minutes for Section B, and never to write beyond what is 'expected'... i.e don't over write, only if you scribble etc.

Funnily enough, I just did a mock paper and for section A, I pretty much just filled in the space provided for every question. I looked at the countdown on my tablet when I got to section B and had 30 minutes left, give or take. I finished with about 2 minutes to spare. I'm not the fastest writer in the world, but I'm not too slow either. In that time, I managed a page for 7A and a page and a half for 7B.

Hope that helps.
Original post by Pistol 33
5 markers. Its the 5 markers.

It so is... everything else I get and can apply my knowledge. But the 5 markers just drown me and the mark scheme gets me everytime! Grr I'm dreading this exam :frown: Plus its my first time aswell.
Reply 68
The 5 markers are iffy, just try you best, try to either explain in detail 2 things or 3 things explained in littler detail. Not much of good advice but that what I did and it worked for the physical parts :P
Does anyone know why, apart from the uncertainty in the rate of changes of ice sheets, why future changes in global sea level rise are hard to predict? :confused:
Reply 70
Original post by geeeeorgia
Does anyone know why, apart from the uncertainty in the rate of changes of ice sheets, why future changes in global sea level rise are hard to predict? :confused:

-human impacts are unknown(greenhouse emissions can either increase or decrease)
-sea level has always fluctuated up and down in the past
-science of sea level rise is not fully understood
-unexpected positive feedback effects such as albedo
-ipcc ignore it because mechanisms invloved are not understood
-ice ages could occur due to milainkovich cycles which could make it harder

umm thats pretty much all i got XD
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 71
Predictions for Section A?
Yeah, anyone have any predictions? I hope its all the stuff I learnt and nothing unfamiliar :/
Shouldn't be anything unfamiliar tbh (if you revise thoroughly) and cover everything in accordance to the specification
Uh huh, I used my CGP book and just kept reading and reading over and over again these past few days. Checked the Edexcel specification and I covered basically everything. So hopefully the paper this year is good. :smile:
This may be incredibly naive of me, but I'm hoping for them to give a slightly easier exam this year as it's the first year with no January module and I don't think they would set hugely difficult questions... Well I'm hoping at least :P
Reply 76
This might sound stupid but when we get a 5 or 4 marker, do we have to give 4-5 points?? this S*** brings my grade down
Original post by H_m007
This might sound stupid but when we get a 5 or 4 marker, do we have to give 4-5 points?? this S*** brings my grade down

Trust me the 4/5 markers are BS at times :/
And no you don't have to give 4/5 points. (You could. It's another way of doing it) But if you give 3 points and expand on them it would give you 5 marks.

E.G Stating impermeable surface (1) Expanding: This reduces interception from rainfall and surface runoff is much more likely etc (1)... so thats 2 marks within 1 point.
Original post by JamesPallett
This may be incredibly naive of me, but I'm hoping for them to give a slightly easier exam this year as it's the first year with no January module and I don't think they would set hugely difficult questions... Well I'm hoping at least :P

Me too. I've never done this exam and its my first time xD. I'm hoping its fine and I won't be stuck on any questions...
Guys will any random questions come up like stuff I haven't learnt in class or my textbooks?

Because I was doing a few past papers... and some of the questions were so weird that I had no idea what they were on about and I also checked the mark scheme and its like... Its not in my book or anything! I'm worried that the exam is going to be like this tomorrow...... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending