The Student Room Group

Would it matter if the next Bond was black?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TK2 King Pin
If it makes a difference to me, it makes a difference. To not 'let it' make a difference is just to pretend that it doesn't (when really, inescapably, it does.)

Then that really says a lot more about you than anything else.

Based on appearance, cultural context, voice and other factors, different people's actions can come across differently.

A very simplified example is this: When a strong man flexes his muscles, it implies pride in appearance. If a puny man flexes his muscles, it comes across as perhaps wishful, or self delusional. Same actions, different implications simply because of physical appearance.

One trademark physical aspect of Bond's is the slick back. Here's where cultural context comes into it. This is a very 'white' characteristic, and a white actor would be comfortably at home sporting the slick back. Were a black actor to sport the slick back, it would not be so convincing because it would frankly look out of place, it's not a common style among black people. But to change the hairstyle would be to sacrifice one of Bond's characteristics. Granted it's a fairly small characteristic, but combined with other small and more complex race-related differences, the overall character of Bond is compromised. Whether for better or worse, that's down to opinion.

What? Daniel Craig didn't even sport a slick back hairstyle in the latest Bond film. Did that ruin the illusion for you? Did that stop him from being 'Bond-like'? You're just grasping for ridiculous traits to suit your equally ridiculous argument.

The only trademark traits of Bond, such as being suave, can be delivered just fine by actors of other races.

I'm talking about physical quirks, a type of squint or raised eyebrow which look different on certain faces. Anyone can mime other's characteristics, but the look of that person undoubtedly makes an impact on the character portrayed.

You explicit made reference to personality, sense of humour, etc. The very example you initially used was the use of the phrase 'motherf***er'. But if you want to abandon that and make your argument about physical appearance then go ahead. It really doesn't make a difference to what I'm saying; there's no rational reason why a black actor's appearance would stop him from being a convincing Bond unless you let it be a problem.

Read the above point ^^^

It's a matter of preference, I would prefer a white Bond because traditionally he is white and there are characteristics, physical and personal (which you seem somehow unable to interpret) that would be more convincingly conveyed by a white actor. The only people who should give a damn are the publishers. If most want to see a white James Bond, Bond should be white. If most would prefer black, he should be black.

I'm not saying a black Bond would be bad, I'm saying white would be better for this particular role.

You would prefer a white Bond because you're used to it, and would therefore be dissatisfied with anyone non-white in the role. Don't try and pretend that it's because the black actor isn't capable of doing it justice, though. It's just down to you and your perceptions/desires (which are totally irrelevant to me, so why did you quote me in the first place?).

Sorry but how old are you? You must be about twelve if you can't understand that a white English man would not pull off 'mother****er' in the same character as Samuel L Jackson.

It's the way he says it that I'm referencing. My whole 'characteristic' argument is completely lost on you. It's like explaining colours to a blind person!

The voice, the facial expression and the racial connotations play a part in the delivery.

Old enough to realise I'm wasting my time trying to help you grasp something remarkably simple.

Your point is idiotic. A white person saying 'motherf***er' like Samuel L Jackson is not akin to a black actor playing Bond because the black actor wouldn't be trying to imitate any particular person/actor. They would bring their own essence to the role, as every actor has done before, and this doesn't have to run on stereotypes (so it would be just like a white person saying motherf***er without having to imitate Samuel L Jackson, hence why I said that). Therefore, your point does not explain why a black actor would be unconvincing, but instead suggests that you don't really know what you're talking about.

Bond himself is a Stereotype. Like I've said, neither race is a problem, but white is the most suitable option for the Bond role if we're talking about race alone.

Much in the same way that a black Frodo Baggins, a black Albus Dumbledore, a white Jackie Chan, a white Hancock, or a Chinese Gandalf would not affect viewers perceptions of the characters.

It's all a matter of opinion, I've given my reasons for preferring a white Bond, willing to read your reaction but this post is my final input, cheers.

Jackie Chan is a real person :facepalm2:

And Bond isn't a stereotype, he's a character - a character who has been played and interpreted in many different ways by many different actors over time, which immediately sets him apart from the other examples you have given. A black actor could provide a very interesting take on the role and so far the only reason you've presented for the contrary is because 'they would be too different to what we've already seen', which is really not as big an issue as you're making out. As I've said, it's a problem to you because you're letting it be a problem.
Not if they were sophisticated/refined like Giancarlo Esposito in Breaking Bad or Adrian Lester in Hustle and British
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
Of course I agree, but you said he had to be very english when in fact connery had bond with a scottish accent and bond himself in the books is scottish/swiss. He has to be british but not necessarily english.

Why does he necessarily have to be British?

They should look for Bond the way the FA does it for the England football manager. Decide what criteria you need and then look around the world for the best candidate available, and pay him whatever he wants to come to this prestigious role.

For Bond the criteria will be a man who is cool, calm, looks sharp and stylish in a suit, likes holidays to exotic locations and is good at charming the ladies :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending