The Student Room Group

Medicine PS

I know this is a rather strange request but my girlfriend is hoping to apply for medicine next year and, as she is having serious family problems atm and they're probably not going to get better over the next few months, I have been charged with writing her personal statement. I have written economics statements before but this is totally different. I just don't know where to start. If anyone would be kind enough to PM me their medicine personal statement that would be awesome. I'm really in need of some help. I can assure you that it will not be copied in any way but I just desperately need to see one as I havnt seen one before.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated and I will rep, rep and rep a bit more!

Thanks,

Charlie
Reply 1
Hi,
I am sure you will get this response from many people: "PS is personal, she should write it".

So I would suggest that you would have to sit down with her, to get all the important details from her, and what she gained from experiences etc.

When I wrote mine, I made sure to have a bit of history as to why I wanted to do medicine, what I did to ensure it was right for me (work exp.) then moved on to my other interests etc. tht proved I would be a good choice.
Reply 2
Erm, a personal statement should be PERSONAL. So she should write it, or at least be with you in the process of doing it. What other people have done in theirs will be supremely irrelevant to her own.
Reply 3
Personal shmersonal- i don't think it really matters who writes her P.S., I mean everyone is just trying to sell themselves.

There are 9 on: http://www.studential.com/personalstatements/getpscourse.asp?type=36

Also might be interested to know there are three types of medicine courses one is practical based(you get a patient and work out what's wrong with them), one is theory based, and one is sort of a mix of the two. They all have different names, if she's looking to do just one you could write about why the theory/practical/mixed approach to medicine is right for her.

Work experience is of vital importance in a medicine statement aswell.

Youiprobably already knew all that stuff, but hope it helps!
Reply 4
On a "saving your own skin" angle, if you write it and she doesnt get any interviews, she will regret not writing it herself. Ask her to write it down in point form, then you can jazz it up a bit yourself.

The basic points that need to be covered:
Why does she want to be a doctor?
What are her academic acheivements (not grades, anything else)
What work experience has she done (IMPORTANT!!!)
How has she developed her interests? (Broader reading etc.)
What are her non academic achievements (sport music etc.)
Why would she make a good doctor?
Reply 5
This is all a bit silly, *echo's the "personal" responses*

Best bet would be she writes a rough draft and you check through it for her, jazzing it up. That would be more acceptable and sensible as it would mean you're merely "checking" and the core of it will still be hers!

It could also prevent backlash on you.
Reply 6
Fair enough. I'm just trying to help her get something out the way to relieve some of the stress. I just don't think her university application is going to be at the forefront of her mind in the near future. Is there anywhere on the internet I can pay for them? I've heard something about that.
Reply 7
If there is I'm appalled. There's places where they'll read through them for you, but I don't know how good these are, I never personally used anything like that.
Reply 8
Just an after thought, I don't know the situation obviously so I am only commenting generally. But if she is going through some problems at the moment, would a delay in application not be a good idea? Some universities do not accept reapplicants to themselves... so if her mind is not on her application she may be ruining the chance to apply to medical schools she wants to go to?

Like I said, I'm only speaking generally and so do not know the whole situation.
Reply 9
Kentish Man
Fair enough. I'm just trying to help her get something out the way to relieve some of the stress. I just don't think her university application is going to be at the forefront of her mind in the near future. Is there anywhere on the internet I can pay for them? I've heard something about that.

You can, but I'd advise against it. If it were discovered, she could kiss good bye to any places.

I appreciate you wanting to help her, but I really think this is not a good way to go about it. University applications, personal statements etc, are a BIG THING. If she's too distracted to write her own application, how is she going to fare at interviews and so on?

By all means help her write it, put ideas in a logical order and give it some individual shine, but doing it for her won't help in the long run. If she is really that absorbed in whatever these problems are, might it be a good idea to delay applying till next year?
Reply 10
Yeh your probably right. Just wanted to do something for her. I'll tell her what you guys said. Thanks for your help.

Charlie

Latest

Trending

Trending