The Student Room Group

FAO those who have taken CIE English Language or understand CIE grade boundaries

So basically I am taking CIE English Language IGCSE and I am confused about the grade boundaries. I am taking components 02, 04 and 05.

And this was the grade boundary for a particular year:
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/English%20-%20First%20Language%20(UK)%20(0522)/0522_w11_gt.pdf

But if you look it says component 02 is out of 50, component 04 is out of 50 and components 05 is out of 30. Which equals 130 - I know this is true as I got 27/30 for 05, 45/50 for 04 and in mocks I achieved 43/50. But it says the total marks for the syllabus is 125 which really, really confuses me.

In the link it states "A reduction may be made at the higher grades depending on the correlation of the papers. If the maximum raw marks for the components are not in the weighting/relationship specified in the
syllabus, a weighting is applied to arrive at the overall thresholds."

I think this may explain why the maximum mark for the syllabus is 125 but the components add up to 130, but I don't really understand the reduction process.
Reply 1
help im really nervous cuz i have the real exam on thursday
Original post by gbLDN
help im really nervous cuz i have the real exam on thursday

Omg same! >.<...good luck!!
Reply 3
Me too
Reply 4
Original post by gbLDN
So basically I am taking CIE English Language IGCSE and I am confused about the grade boundaries. I am taking components 02, 04 and 05.

And this was the grade boundary for a particular year:
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/English%20-%20First%20Language%20(UK)%20(0522)/0522_w11_gt.pdf

But if you look it says component 02 is out of 50, component 04 is out of 50 and components 05 is out of 30. Which equals 130 - I know this is true as I got 27/30 for 05, 45/50 for 04 and in mocks I achieved 43/50. But it says the total marks for the syllabus is 125 which really, really confuses

In the link it states "A reduction may be made at the higher grades depending on the correlation of the papers. If the maximum raw marks for the components are not in the weighting/relationship specified in the
syllabus, a weighting is applied to arrive at the overall thresholds."

I think this may explain why the maximum mark for the syllabus is 125 but the components add up to 130, but I don't really understand the reduction process.

It adding up to 130 is definitely a calculating error on your part, the mark scheme clearly states that the maximum mark is 125.
Reply 5
Original post by pbunny
It adding up to 130 is definitely a calculating error on your part, the mark scheme clearly states that the maximum mark is 125.

but if you look at the link I provided component's 02, 04 and 06 add up to 130 (50 + 50 + 30)
Reply 6
bump
Reply 7
bump

Quick Reply

Latest