The Student Room Group

Do you get along with your partners parents?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TattyBoJangles
You say he can't do things without her consent - so what does he do, stand up for himself and then do what she tells him to do anyway?

That would drive me round the bend. Other people only have as much control over your relationship as you (or rather, your boyfriend) let them have.

eg. Why does she need to 'let' your boyfriend go on holiday, assuming he's paying for himself?

Yeah pretty much, it's the same with the rest of the family, what she says goes.

But she doesn't have control over our relationship, if she did then we wouldn't have lasted because I wouldn't stand for it. It's more about him and what he does that she controls or tries to.

She's a big worrier when it comes to money, I've never seen anyone stress so much about it. She worries what he's spending and how much he's spending. So a holiday would be seen as a big expense, especially since he only works weekends. She doesn't see past the cost, which makes me feel sorry for her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katiekj25
Yeah pretty much, it's the same with the rest of the family, what she says goes.

But she doesn't have control over our relationship, if she did then we wouldn't have lasted because I wouldn't stand for it. It's more about him and what he does that she controls or tries to.

She's a big worrier when it comes to money, I've never seen anyone stress so much about it. She worries what he's spending and how much he's spending. So a holiday would be seen as a big expense, especially since he only works weekends. She doesn't see past the cost, which makes me feel sorry for her.

I think this is what is is making us so amazed.

If my mother told me not to on holiday, I'd still go. And I would have done aged 19 too. And that wouldn't change even if the rest of my siblings fell in line.

The whole "there's no telling her" is still predicated on the idea that ultimately she has to sanction everything. If she's bankrolling the holiday, then she does exercise the power of the veto. Under those circumstances he ought to get part-time work so he can pay for it himself. And then she has no scope to stop anything.

I wonder if part of the problem here is that nobody ever stands up to this woman so she just assumes she's going to get her way. Perhaps the next time she 'forbids' him doing something he should try saying, "I'm an adult, and I'm doing it anyway". Maybe she would actually respect a bit of gumption amongst her offspring rather than sheep-like compliance.

Personally, I couldn't respect a partner who was this under the thumb of their mother. If you can then good luck to you but I think a reckoning will eventually have to occur and it might as well be soon.
I get on well with my girlfriend's mum. She is a nice person that is easy to get on with anyway.

Her dad on the other hand, she hates him for a myriad of reasons most of it with no rationale behind it. I do get on well with him though since I have no issues with him and for the most part I think he is a decent person.

My parents have no idea I'm seeing someone :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Lotus_Eater
I think this is what is is making us so amazed.

If my mother told me not to on holiday, I'd still go. And I would have done aged 19 too. And that wouldn't change even if the rest of my siblings fell in line.

The whole "there's no telling her" is still predicated on the idea that ultimately she has to sanction everything. If she's bankrolling the holiday, then she does exercise the power of the veto. Under those circumstances he ought to get part-time work so he can pay for it himself. And then she has no scope to stop anything.

I wonder if part of the problem here is that nobody ever stands up to this woman so she just assumes she's going to get her way. Perhaps the next time she 'forbids' him doing something he should try saying, "I'm an adult, and I'm doing it anyway". Maybe she would actually respect a bit of gumption amongst her offspring rather than sheep-like compliance.

Personally, I couldn't respect a partner who was this under the thumb of their mother. If you can then good luck to you but I think a reckoning will eventually have to occur and it might as well be soon.

She's not paying for his holiday, he works weekends but still gets £120 on average depending on shifts.

I don't know how many times I've said now that he has stood up to her. I've witnessed it many times and she literally screeches at him for not having respect for her.

Actually I respect him more for putting up with it all. He's not under the thumb of his mum, he can still do what he wants, she's just never happy with whatever decision he makes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually I respect him more for putting up with it all. He's not under the thumb of his mum, he can still do what he wants, she's just never happy with whatever decision he makes.

His mum has been a bit of a handful when it comes to things that cost money, for example, it had taken 4 months of persuasion to allow her 19 year old son to go on holiday. Then we must have shown her about 20 different locations, because we weren't allowed to book anything without her consent :/

These two statements are contradictory. Why did she need persuading to allow a grown man to go on holiday? You should have notified her about the holiday not asked permission. It's things like this which demonstrate that he's being walked all over. Even if he argues back, he's still ultimately not prepared to do things without her final approval.

Which I personally think is unhealthy. And at some level you do too otherwise you wouldn't have started the thread by asking whether this is kind of thing is normal. Yet when you're advised it's not normal and actually slightly troubling, you get defensive! However, I don't think we're going to agree on this point so I won't go on about it any more. If you and him are happy with it, then who cares what I think?
Reply 25
Original post by Lotus_Eater
These two statements are contradictory. Why did she need persuading to allow a grown man to go on holiday? You should have notified her about the holiday not asked permission. It's things like this which demonstrate that he's being walked all over. Even if he argues back, he's still ultimately not prepared to do things without her final approval.

Which I personally think is unhealthy. And at some level you do too otherwise you wouldn't have started the thread by asking whether this is kind of thing is normal. Yet when you're advised it's not normal and actually slightly troubling, you get defensive! However, I don't think we're going to agree on this point so I won't go on about it any more. If you and him are happy with it, then who cares what I think?

I'm getting defensive because you're making out as if my relationship is not going to work out because of his mum haha I am happy with him, and I know her behaviour isn't normal but it doesn't change how I feel about him. Like I said she isn't horrible towards me, it's her own that she treats like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was just curious. I've been with my partner for 4 years and his parents are nice towards me but constantly complain about my boyfriend.

His mum has been a bit of a handful when it comes to things that cost money, for example, it had taken 4 months of persuasion to allow her 19 year old son to go on holiday. Then we must have shown her about 20 different locations, because we weren't allowed to book anything without her consent :/

And not just money either, she always says to him infront of me that he needs to lose weight, or that his room is a tip, he never does anything around the house, and won't let him take out a student loan which he needs for his course.

But they are nice to me haha anyone else have stories similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can totally sympathise, me and my partner are unfortunately having to live with his parents as we cant afford our own place (we're in our 30s) we both get along with them but they have a terrible habit of telling us what to do and treating us like children, esp his mother who will throw our things out if they're not to her taste, drives us mental!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Gellerbing
I can totally sympathise, me and my partner are unfortunately having to live with his parents as we cant afford our own place (we're in our 30s) we both get along with them but they have a terrible habit of telling us what to do and treating us like children, esp his mother who will throw our things out if they're not to her taste, drives us mental!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's rough! Hopefully you guys will be able to afford your own place :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, we're certainly working on it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get on well with my boyfriend's mum and his sister. His grandparents even buy me Easter eggs :biggrin:

His dad died before we got together but from what I've heard he was absolutely lovely.
Reply 30
Original post by dreadpiraterach
I get on well with my boyfriend's mum and his sister. His grandparents even buy me Easter eggs :biggrin:

His dad died before we got together but from what I've heard he was absolutely lovely.

Aw that's really sweet! My partner works with my Nan so they get along really well haha unfortunately my Granddad has severe dementia so he doesn't remember him anymore.
I'm sorry to hear that, that's a real shame :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My ex's mum used to try and control everything he did and it drove me insane! He was in the Navy and I hardly ever got to see him as it was but on his weekends off she would plan them for him and say that he couldn't see me because he HAD to spend time with his brother etc. She was nice to me most of the time but so interfering. He would have to text her goodnight everytime he stayed at mine as well which I thought was weird.

My current boyfriend is barely close to his parents at all which suits me fine! We live near London and they live in Manchester and he sees them a few times a year. His dad is lovely and his mum is alright but we're just very different people and don't agree on much. They're not interfering at all though, they just let us get on with our own lives which is the main thing.
My first gf's mum was quite nice towards me, but her stepdad couldn't stand me and took offence to me offering to cook one time (posted about that elsewhere on here).

The present Mrs M's family though have been very welcoming and occasionally give us money to go out with even though she never asks for it. It's great feeling genuinely welcome in someone's home rather than as someone to be tolerated.
Original post by Alfissti
I get on well with my girlfriend's mum. She is a nice person that is easy to get on with anyway.

Her dad on the other hand, she hates him for a myriad of reasons most of it with no rationale behind it. I do get on well with him though since I have no issues with him and for the most part I think he is a decent person.

My parents have no idea I'm seeing someone :smile:

How come, if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending